Midtown Homeless Situation

themidtownguy

I was downtown last night at 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm and it was of course quiet, but not as much as I had expected. Mia Bella seemed pretty packed when I walked by.

The only place where I saw a lot of seedy looking people hanging out was in front of the convenience store at Main Street Square. One guy was begging and a bunch of others were just sort of wandering around...

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

God, I drive down San Jac. going downtown everyday, and the homeless problem at Search is awful.

Now I certainly don't mind people hanging out at a soup kitchen, employment finder, or whatever that place is; but that street is bad! I'll be in morning rush hour and vagrants are just strolling across the street, jay walking, drinking beer, and urinating in plain view.

They are still there? When I started this thread I often saw them on that part of San Jac but I haven't seen them at all lately. At least not on saturday mornings or after dark.

they are holding church under the pierced elevated some evenings with spot lights....at least wed evening they were.

God, I drive down San Jac. going downtown everyday, and the homeless problem at Search is awful.

Now I certainly don't mind people hanging out at a soup kitchen, employment finder, or whatever that place is; but that street is bad! I'll be in morning rush hour and vagrants are just strolling across the street, jay walking, drinking beer, and urinating in plain view.

Like it or not, vagrants are citizens too. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean they have no rights ... or that they don't have rights to be somewhere. Now loitering is a different story, but just because someone looks (and possibly smells) bad, doesn't mean they have any less rights than a group of well-to-doers hanging out (loitering?).

Like it or not, vagrants are citizens too. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean they have no rights ... or that they don't have rights to be somewhere. Now loitering is a different story, but just because someone looks (and possibly smells) bad, doesn't mean they have any less rights than a group of well-to-doers hanging out (loitering?).

You quoted me, but I'm not sure what your criticisms have to do with my opinion. I didn't say they weren't citizens, or that they didn't have a "right" to sleep on the street. Walking in front of traffic and using the street as their personal trashcan and toilet I have a problem with--I don't care what they look like.

If you have actually seen the area we are talking about, and the situation there is okay to you; then we just have differing views.

Edited by bkjones98

Jackson & Crawford between Pierce Elevated and Gray is bad as well. But that's mostly because of the church, bread of life, and that's where some vans pull up to distribute food..

I don't know the answer, but when I figure it out, I'll sell it to the city.

• 2 months later...
can we get together and do something about the homeless problem? i am sick of it.

i was talking to someone who works at the police station off of 59. she said that the city pulled out the bike patrol out of there to concentrate on other problems. have you seen any officers on bike patrol?

Step one is increased police/security presence (sounds like it's going the other direction)

Long term solution includes nuking the bus station(s)

I've lived in Midtown for 5 years and I constantly am looking over my shoulder when I walk to places like CVS, Randalls and the Chevron station. It's ridiculous how many beggars and bums are around. I can't believe people have put up with their presence for this long.

27 years ago, I remember making the trek from a cheap parking lot to my office at the Esperson building. The stench embedded in the damp concrete would cause me to have to hold my breath or cover my face. I could only imagine what had gone on the night before. I have to add that I was pregnant and in high heels! To this day, I don't care to walk the streets of downtown cities. I don't know what the answer to this problem is. I guess homeless shelters are a good idea, but not all homeless want to stay there. I read once that this didn't exist as much 50-100 years ago due to the fact that mental hospitals were home to these people. They were also called Hobos and rode railcars to different cities. My aunt and uncle lived close to the RR tracks in Katy years ago and used to talk about Hobos coming up to their house asking for money or food. I do know this - they have become younger and more brazen than those I encountered in DT Houston 27 years ago. Once in DT San Francisco, after refusing someone asking for money (don't know if he was homeless), my husband was verbally abused until we turned the corner on the street. Just remember this is not a new problem or exclusive to Houston.

I read once that this didn't exist as much 50-100 years ago due to the fact that mental hospitals were home to these people. They were also called Hobos and rode railcars to different cities. My aunt and uncle lived close to the RR tracks in Katy years ago and used to talk about Hobos coming up to their house asking for money or food. I do know this - they have become younger and more brazen than those I encountered in DT Houston 27 years ago.
in the 50's my mom lived on nance and she recently told me of hobos going to their house for food. seems word got around where they could get something to eat.

Stop making it so easy to hang around. Offering them beds for $15/night creates demand for beggars. They can beg for $15/day.

How will we know which people can hang out in midtown and which people can't? Maybe we should tattoo anyone who can't produce proof of a mortgage to clarify that.

How will we know which people can hang out in midtown and which people can't? Maybe we should tattoo anyone who can't produce proof of a mortgage to clarify that.

The ones who don't ask for money can hang out there.. and those who do, can't.. maybe camps would be a good start..

the problem is perpetuated by organizations and individuals giving hand-outs, and not expecting the hobos to do anything more.. That's great people are so caring and thoughtful that they want to help their fellow humans who are down on their luck.. however, when it becomes a lifestyle.. man, cut the rope.

The hobos who live in Hermann Park have cell phones..

Maybe a pan-handling law should be passed, and stick them in jail.. that'll solve them being homeless..

Or maybe arrested for tax evasion since they get "income" but pay no taxes on it..

None of this will happen, and eventually things will be as bad as San Fran and maybe there will be another mass exodus to the bubs again because the hobos have taken over midtown/downtown once again..

I thought this thread was about the homeless problem, not panhandlers. Which is it?

Well.. it goes with my first assertion.. "The ones who don't ask for money can hang out there.. and those who do, can't."

The problem is it's not mutually exclusive.. some hobos will beg.. some, granted, will not.. I don't have a huge problem with those who don't beg, other than them using the street as a personal toilet.. Thats not very world class.. Or maybe it is.. hmm..

I have a huge problem with the enablers.. those who continue to perpetuate the problem by giving handouts.. (Churches, shelters, etc.. ) This will only keep them hanging out and collecting.. Maybe move the shelters and churches who give food away to the suburbs.. Handouts do not solve the problem. But as long as people think they are helping and feeling good about themselves, then they will always be there.

Nice sarcasm, but seriously, my fiance cant put gas in her car at night in Midtown by herself because people come up to her asking for money everytime. She cant go to CVS by herself at night for the same reason.

Then I find out that there are places offering these guys a bed to sleep on and a hot shower for $15/night. Can you connect the dots? I think you can.

Nice sarcasm, but seriously, my fiance cant put gas in her car at night in Midtown by herself because people come up to her asking for money everytime. She cant go to CVS by herself at night for the same reason.

Then I find out that there are places offering these guys a bed to sleep on and a hot shower for $15/night. Can you connect the dots? I think you can.

I can't. What do the dots show?

Why can't your fiance tolerate people asking her for money? And, given that she can't, why does she choose to live in midtown?

Then there is also the matter of "Sorry buddy" and go on with her business.

While I won't ignore them, I'll make it obvious I won't give them money.

There is this one old lady (remarkably well dressed) in downtown that will ask for a quarter for coffee. It was the first time I saw her and I was in a charitable mood.

A couple of days later, I spotted her a few blocks ahead and saw that she managed to get some change from other people. As I approached she asked me for a quarter for coffee.

I told her from what I saw she had enough from the other people for a latte' at starbucks. She said I was "hatin'" I just walked off and said, "sorry, no coffee for you."

After awhile I get annoyed by some pan handlers when I start to recognize them from previous attempts.

Edited by ricco67