Midtown Homeless Situation

themidtownguy

Sounds like a sweet deal. I wonder why the homed people on here who see homeless people taking advantage of the rest of us aren't rushing to join them.

How is that a sweet deal? Would you prefer to be dependent on the generosity of others for basic survival? That alone sounds unbearable to me. But if that's your thing, go ahead and try being homeless. Report back when you have, and fill us in on why it's so sweet. Because your sarcasm shows that you really care.

Edited by barracuda

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after viewing over and over again people and churches from Katy, Texas coming to my neighborhood and feeding the Feral Homeless. I've come up with a plan that not only teaches them a lesson but would be fun too. I've decided to open a 'Search' in the residential sector of Katy, Texas between West Park Toll and I-10. This would not only be a Search sub-quarter but a soup kitchen, homeless shelter and pretty much a Homeless Resort. I would invite all the homeless we could accommodate and give them free rides to the shelter. Once at the shelter everyone would get free food, free showers, and a nice outfit. The catch is I really need the support of the midtown residents. We should come together to really help these folks who can't help themselves. Every Sunday we will travel to Katy and bring lots and lots of food for all the homeless that we've collected at church and work. Won't it feel so good to think we are helping people in need. And the best part will be all the churches and Katy residents that feel the need to help the crack heads out won't have to travel all the way to my neighborhood to feel better about themselves. They'll be able to feed and cloth the homeless at home.

Yeah, a perfect world............

This was written jokingly so no body get their panties in a wad. Have a Good Day!!!

So after viewing over and over again people and churches from Katy, Texas coming to my neighborhood and feeding the Feral Homeless. I've come up with a plan that not only teaches them a lesson but would be fun too. I've decided to open a 'Search' in the residential sector of Katy, Texas between West Park Toll and I-10. This would not only be a Search sub-quarter but a soup kitchen, homeless shelter and pretty much a Homeless Resort. I would invite all the homeless we could accommodate and give them free rides to the shelter. Once at the shelter everyone would get free food, free showers, and a nice outfit. The catch is I really need the support of the midtown residents. We should come together to really help these folks who can't help themselves. Every Sunday we will travel to Katy and bring lots and lots of food for all the homeless that we've collected at church and work. Won't it feel so good to think we are helping people in need. And the best part will be all the churches and Katy residents that feel the need to help the crack heads out won't have to travel all the way to my neighborhood to feel better about themselves. They'll be able to feed and cloth the homeless at home.

Yeah, a perfect world............

This was written jokingly so no body get their panties in a wad. Have a Good Day!!!

I do believe that these places provide a great service and should be around... but yes, I wonder how the volunteers would feel having these establishments in their neighborhoods (bet they wouldn't be too happy!). I also feel that these places should be more spread out around the city and into the burbs so that everyone deals with the homeless on a daily basis. However, my problem isn't with Search, etc... but with the $9 dollar a night slumlord places that pile a bunch of homeless into a room, and lets them drink themselves into oblivion every day.

• Like 1

I do believe that these places provide a great service and should be around... but yes, I wonder how the volunteers would feel having these establishments in their neighborhoods (bet they wouldn't be too happy!). I also feel that these places should be more spread out around the city and into the burbs so that everyone deals with the homeless on a daily basis. However, my problem isn't with Search, etc... but with the $9 dollar a night slumlord places that pile a bunch of homeless into a room, and lets them drink themselves into oblivion every day.

You hit the nail on the head! Why is Houston's Ghettos not nearly as bad as, lets say Detroit or New Orleans? Because they aren't concentrated into one centralized area. Even though Houston's population is around 4.7 mil, right now, our Projects don't get the negative publicity other smaller cities do. The same should apply to soup kitchens and etc! The more they are spaced out the better it is for all the communities.

Wouldn't it be easier (and maybe cheaper?) to just rent a van and drive a bunch of homeless guys out to Katy? Drop them off in front of whatever church it is that's feeding them in Midtown. Do it on a Sunday morning just in time for services.

You could rent the van for the entire day and drop off a batch at 7am, 9am, and 11am. There's be 60 homeless guys standing in front of the Katy church, so they wouldn't have to go all the way into Midtown to feed them.

I guess this is funny, but at the same time it's not. There are homeless people in Katy, Sugar Land, Baytown and all over. I have worked very actively with Search, Interfaith Ministries and Meals on Wheels (not exactly dealing with homeless, but certainly seniors that are in a tough situation). It amazes me the variety of situations that have led to their state... mostly disagreements with family, possibly no family at all, difficult economic times, or simply just being unappreciative of what they have/had. Of the people I've met, about half of them ARE "just being lazy", but the other half landed into situations that quickly spiraled out of control, and the next thing they knew they were on the streets. But most of the time, the people that "aren't lazy" don't stay homeless for long.

• 1 month later...

I was driving down Pierce and when I was around the area they make their beds (Jeffersonish) I couldn't help but notice how dirty the area is. It is disgusting. It seemed worse than normal.

Someone needs to contact the people that hand out the food and let them know that it is nice and all that they feed these people, but maybe they should clean the area for everyone as well.

If I were a pedestrian, or on my bike, I would want to have a block or two cushion between myself and that.

So what are the names of some of those churches or agencies that come from the middle of nowwhere and feed the homeless? Who can we call?

I don't see how charity and good will has anything to do with comic relief. I don't know where the middle of "nowwhere" is? But I go to Second Baptist church westside campus. It is between Fry and Barker Cypress on I-10. Monthly our class tries to find a mission to help out be it feeding the hungry, providing shoes for people around the world, toys for children, etc. you get the point. I help out in ways that I can.

I think there are better ways of improving the area where you live than to chatise those that are trying to serve those in need.

Edited by westguy76

I don't see how charity and good will has anything to do with comic relief. I don't know where the middle of "nowwhere" is? But I go to Second Baptist church westside campus. It is between Fry and Barker Cypress on I-10. Monthly our class tries to find a mission to help out be it feeding the hungry, providing shoes for people around the world, toys for children, etc. you get the point. I help out in ways that I can.

I think there are better ways of improving the area where you live than to chatise those that are trying to serve those in need.

I agree with your sentiments about helping others (help themselves). I draw the line when they clearly dont help themselves. In my opinion that covers 97% of the homeless.

As for providing shoes for others around the world... I'm sure there are those within their own country that are in a better, more strategic position to assist their fellow countrymen.

But cheer up! I think this was supposed to be a humorous thread. :)

But I go to Second Baptist church westside campus. It is between Fry and Barker Cypress on I-10. Monthly our class tries to find a mission to help out be it feeding the hungry, providing shoes for people around the world, toys for children, etc. you get the point. I help out in ways that I can.

Westguy76, it

Like, having a home?

Sure. But take it a step further and help individuals develop skills that will prevent the re-occurrence of homelessness.

The definition of homelessness is not the absence of a home, but a break in the process of ones ability to generate the income needed to provide basic needs and desired items. Sometimes this is based on misplaced priorities and sometimes its unavoidable circumstances that contribute to the loss of income or re-direction of income to other areas.

Placing someone in a free home does not break the cycle. I think many groups like to paint people with the same brush and think that the solution is just to find them a job in a Fast Food restaurant and call it a day. I think you serve the individual and overall society in a much better capacity if you listen to the individual's personal story so that you can gain a better insight into what fits them the best.

My beef with many homeless groups is that they fail to see that for a 50 year old homeless man there may be more dignity being homeless than being yelled at by your 21 year old boss at McDonalds because you did not mop to his standards. Yes, the correct choice in that matter would be to keep you cool and not take it personally, but for many it

I think another problem is that by distributing food and clothing in the same specific areas, it only further keeps people in an environment that almost nurtures their homelessness and hurts them.

For example, under Pierce there is an almost daily routine of churches showing up and distributing donations. The message this sends to the homeless is that they need to live nearby in order to receive those services. So what happens? They live in nearby abandoned buildings/empty lots/etc. amidst a plethora of other homeless that can drink themselves to sleep...and when hungry, walk over to Pierce and get more food from the vans. Sadly, this is the norm for many of the people I routinely see in the area.

Also, by concentrating the homeless in specific areas, it creates a dense area of people that (when after you leave) are in an environment where they are raped, robbed, and taken advantage of by criminals. However, they have to put up with it because if they want food and clothing, they need to be where it's distributed.

I believe one BIG thing that is not being done enough is to provide mental health screenings or medication to the ones that need it. It pains me to see people talking to themselves and shouting to imaginary attackers to get away... when they should be receiving health care that could really improve their lives.

• 4 weeks later...

Generally speaking the churches located downtown have a much better approach in dealing with, and helping the homeless. Christ Church Cathedral feeds the homeless three days a week, but also offers laundry services and showers (which is more important than most would think). They also offer medical and psychological services. They also don't tolerate loitering around while their services are not offered. If you head their while they are serving people, then yes naturally there are homeless everywhere. If you walk by during the time they are closed, then you wouldn't even know they provide those services. I guess actually being part of community can dictate how you operate vs. the out of town churches that simply feed a bunch of homeless and hop on the Tollroad back to suburbia.

• 4 months later...

So last night, the Management Board had it's quarterly night meeting and they had representatives from some of the service organizations (and a formerly homeless guy), talk to residents about the homeless and what their organizations do. I found the discussion to be very interesting, learned a lot, and wanted to share some advice that the former homeless guy had for residents.

Note: This is advice directly from a former homeless gentlemen that was pulled out of homelessness by an org. in Midtown (Career Recovery Resources)...

1. THE HOMELESS ARE NOT ALL ALIKE. Treat them as human beings, not monsters. Some of them have mental illness and are confused. Most truly want to be nice, stay out of trouble, and try to get out of homelessness. Unfortunately, it's the aggressive ones that not only prey on residents (panhandlers), but also prey on fellow homeless... that are the problem. Try to keep in mind that most homeless are people that come from homes, but have made mistakes and are looking for a second chance. He said most homeless respect and admire the property owners nearby because they realize how hard we have worked for what we have. He said that it's the aggresive panhandler ones that not only make residents uncomfortable... but also take advantage of the other homeless.

2. DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO INDIVIDUALS. He said if you give them money, they will go buy drugs/alcohol with it. Instead, donate to an organization directly. If it's after 5pm, he said it's pretty much a given they are looking for something to last them for the night... even if they say it's for dinner.

3. DO NOT OFFER SMALL JOBS TO THEM. If a guy wants to pull weeds, clean your car windows, etc... politely say no. By allowing them to live off of small, pointless tasks to make money... it incorrectly reinforces that it's okay to make a living like that. By turning them down, they will eventually realize that they need to get a real job.

4. WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE ASKED FOR MONEY. Politely say no, and ask them if they have tried to find help with Search or one of the organizations down the street. After the meeting, I actually got to try this out and it worked! I was approached by a guy while at CoCo's that asked me if he could wash my car windows. He said he needed some money to go to McDonald's. In the past, I would have said "NO"... and he would have tried to hit up everyone else around. Instead, I said "Sorry man, but have you ever tried hooking up with Search or one of the organizations down the street?" He said they denied him, and he can't work because he has messed up tendons in his arm. He then just outright asked for money. I said "We'll that doesn't mean you can't do anything. I know there are places right down the road that would love to help you find something." His demeanour totally changed (sort of a look like, wow... this dude actually cares about me). He said he tried working offshore in the past, but that didn't work out for him. I said "Well I'm sure there's something for you. Take care and have a good night." The guy said bye (sort of shocked), and walked away from the entire area. He didn't even ask anyone else for money.

They also had a representative from the San Jose Clinic talk about the new building and organization. They provide medical care for people that ARE employed... but their employers don't offer medical insurance. In other words, the people that will be utilizing it are blue collar, working people that can't afford medical care. In the past, I read on HAIF worries that it would attract crime. In reality, it only adds a ton of money to our tax rolls, they help working people, and people will only be there during business hours (they are not a shelter).

Interesting points to ponder though nothing new. Call me skeptical. I think there are other ways to fix this. What are they? I'm unsure...

well, one way to fix it, and I've seen it mentioned in this thread a few times by intelligent individuals, is to transplant them somewhere else.

well, one way to fix it, and I've seen it mentioned in this thread a few times by intelligent individuals, is to transplant them somewhere else.

They're people, not trees. Relocating someone against their will is called 'kidnapping,' or, en masse, 'internment.'

I will have to respectfully disagree with the intelligent individuals on this one.

They're people, not trees. Relocating someone against their will is called 'kidnapping,' or, en masse, 'internment.'

The idea was not to move the people. The idea is to have the organizations spread out a little more (the people will follow).

I have no problem with Search and other organizations in the neighborhood. They try to identify the people that really do want the help and help them. The issue is that they could probably spread into other neighborhoods as well, so additional neighborhoods can share in helping these people. What's wrong with opening shelters in Bellaire, or Katy, etc.?

The idea was not to move the people. The idea is to have the organizations spread out a little more (the people will follow).

I have no problem with Search and other organizations in the neighborhood. They try to identify the people that really do want the help and help them. The issue is that they could probably spread into other neighborhoods as well, so additional neighborhoods can share in helping these people. What's wrong with opening shelters in Bellaire, or Katy, etc.?

Why should anyone "share in helping these people"? Should I share in helping them pay for health care too?

And there's nothing wrong with opening shelters in Bellaire, Katy, Sugarland, or the woodlands. I think there should be at least 1 or 2 in each of those places.

Is it really true that the homeless would follow them out of the city and live in the suburbs instead?

Why should anyone "share in helping these people"? Should I share in helping them pay for health care too?

Because we are a civilized society. Also, you already pay for them indirectly when they go to an ER. You also pay for the added police where they are clumped together. Then, when they are arrested for trespassing, you pay for them in our jail system.

If we spread them out and had more breathing room for them, it wouldn't put as much of a strain on our resources.

Because we are a civilized society. Also, you already pay for them indirectly when they go to an ER. You also pay for the added police where they are clumped together. Then, when they are arrested for trespassing, you pay for them in our jail system.

If we spread them out and had more breathing room for them, it wouldn't put as much of a strain on our resources.

They typically congregate where there is the best access to mass transit. This is why you will find many of the agencies close to mass transit, and of course, downtown has the most intersecting routes.