Uptown And Galleria Area Real Estate

Subdude

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If development along the north of Westhemer at Post Oak can be built up to the sidewalks like in an urban setting, pedestrian bridges can be built for accesss. Or, if the money was there, a short tunnel under the roads can be built like in downtown.

I think if the developers and retail managers would get together with the Uptown District; they can produce a cohesive pedestrian friendly atmosphere.

Another option with the intersection of Post Oak and Westheimer would be all direction cross walk. This concept is used in many major urban centers typically with one street intersections. In this configuration, no right turns on red would be allowed and a 20 to 30 second time phase would be added into the street signal to allow pedestrians to walk. This would allow petrians to walk diagonally across the intersection.

Being there on busy days, i always see people walking around outside anyway. This will facilitate it a little more.

• 2 weeks later...
Just saying density is over rated.

It has it's benefits ... local pubs, cafes and theatres, the tube, ability to live without a car. It's all in the careful planning of where you live and work.

A little more pedestrian and bicycle friendliness would be an improvement but I doubt it will happen without a little more density.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I don't notice the buildings in the background. Are you sure thats in Houston?

I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall any buildings in uptown that look like that. I also agree with your comment on spires. We could use more, but these just seem so tacked on.

I wonder if the Mercer would have looked better with the spires that were in the earlier renderings.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder why architects don't think to put spires on buildings in Houston? I wish they would, it would make some of the buildings stand out more.

I agree. Like Austin, I think that Houston (albeit) has great designs showcased in many highrises, could use a giant spire or two. Just to get it out of the flat top look.

m.

spires were a thing of the 90's. atl has so many of them but we dont because we hardly built anything then.

I would have to disagree- i think spires will always attract the eye. It sort of points our focal direction up. Yes, Atlanta has an overabundance of them, and although i love Chicago's skyline, they could lay off the double spire/antenna business for the next few highrises. But, just picture it, in the middle of downtown, a nice glistening building (glass, stone and shining metal) with a spire on top???? No? You can't see that? Give Houston a new image for a new millineum?? That sort of stuff.

Maybe, say, a 1000ft tower with a 200ft spire??

No?

m.

I would have to disagree- i think spires will always attract the eye.  It sort of points our focal direction up. Yes, Atlanta has an overabundance of them, and although i love Chicago's skyline, they could lay off the double spire/antenna business for the next few highrises.  But, just picture it, in the middle of downtown, a nice glistening building (glass, stone and shining metal) with a spire on top???? No?  You can't see that?  Give Houston a new image for a new millineum?? That sort of stuff.

Maybe, say, a 1000ft tower with a 200ft spire??

No?

m.

ok ok yes! :)

Hmm..AFAIK, the only skyscraper with a noticable spire in Houston..is the St Lukes Tower.

• 4 weeks later...
My Webpage

More progress in the development of the Galleria area!! :D

your webpage is the Houston business journal. I have a few things to say to the mailman about my dad not getting his paper on Fridays! Darn Sugar Land mailman!

I tell ya that newspaper gets good milage between breakfast table reading and the bathroom!! (and pretty houses in the back pages too!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is about the area between Chimney Rock and Fountainview and Woodway and San Philepe. In this area there are many townhomes and condominiums. Some large complexes that were built in the late 1970's, and some other smaller complexes that were built within the last 10-years. The new complexes are significantly more upscale than the homes in the 1970's, and the size of the homes are about double that of the homes built in the '70s.

People seem to be willing to readily pay $175+/SF for the new(er) construction, but the construction built in the '70s is around $100-110/SF - but the houses usually aren't really that fixed up, mostly just painted etc.

What sort of premium do you think could be charged on a place built in the 1970's that is say 1500SF, but completely renovated. Where completely Renovated means - the kitchen has new slate flooring, brand new wood cabinets with granite countertops and stainless appliances. Hardwood floors throughout the rest (except the bathrooms) where the bathrooms have been renovated with travertine, and new cabinets and modern sinks and fixtures. New lighting fixtures througout.

Is there a demand for a place that looks like it was built in the 2000's, but was built at 1500SF instead of 2500SF+?

The only thing, which could be major, I see different is that the ones from the 1970's only have a small walk in closet, and the bathrooms aren't oversized like many other newer homes.

Would this be worth $120/SF, or $160/SF? - or merely $105/SF.

• 1 year later...

I have been reading about a large mall and shopping center being torn down, that obvioulsy under- performed over the years and notice a lot of places that have closed on both sides of post oak and san felipe and can't help but think that there is already too much repetiotion in the area of high end retail concepts. So it is a shock to think that some would venture down the same road again and build the same thing to target the same types of high-end businesses. The Houston Chronicle mentioned this concern I believe just last week with all of these projects being announced. The good news as we know is that a lot of what gets announced never happens anyway. I am not convinced that building more or tearing down to build more is going to really have a positive impact on the galleria area. Who would have thought that so much space would have sat vacant for so many years as it is doing now in an area that is supposedly held out to be such a guaranteed success ? Uptown park struggled for years and I still remember when they were allowing non-profit orgs. to use the space for free, just so the place didn't look empty. I think it is going to be a real uphill battle trying to find the unique types of businesses that are going to want to go into this area. I know Sprint decided to move its store from Post Oak/San Felipe to 610/Westheimer. Other stores have also closed as well over the years or decided to move. Maybe it is hard for some to acknowledge that there truly is just one Galleria Mall and one soon to be Houston Pavilions which will also be a first to the area. Perhaps sometimes it is hard for some to realize that the race to market makes all the difference in the world and trying to compete with something that is already there is very hard or next to impossible.

Edited by what

I'm all for progress and I must agree with many good points you mention.

This area is so crammed already that you couldn't squeeze in a toothpick if you tried. Getting in and out of any establishment along those feeder roads is like suicide. The only green space one will find is the topiary browned with car emissions. You are right too much repetition of the same bland businesses hence no creativity left. Going in and out of this area is the equivalent of someone placing a pillow over your face. Trying to over stuff luggage then it explodes everywhere. Woe for for The Galleria area.

Now to put on my trusty helmet for the rocks about to be tossed! Peace! :mellow:

I'm all for progress and I must agree with many good points you mention.

This area is so crammed already that you couldn't squeeze in a toothpick if you tried. Getting in and out of any establishment along those feeder roads is like suicide. The only green space one will find is the topiary browned with car emissions. You are right too much repetition of the same bland businesses hence no creativity left. Going in and out of this area is the equivalent of someone placing a pillow over your face. Trying to over stuff luggage then it explodes everywhere. Woe for for The Galleria area.

Now to put on my trusty helmet for the rocks about to be tossed! Peace! :mellow:

no rocks, maybe a pebble or two.

Galleria is quickly going to be like a miniature version of New York, pretty soon it will be a 24 hr place to live. Galleria will be a suburb unto itself where people will be able to live and work in the area and little need to get out, and I wouldn't be surprised if the galleria mall would eventually be open 24hrs in the next decade. You shouldn't worry at the lack of variety as far as shops goes, there will be enough business for "support" businesses there as it is. As property values increase, I wouldn't doubt few of the strip malls will give way to mixed use buildings.

The only thing is that metro needs to hurry up and build more light rail in washington uptown area or else gridlock will be a complete possibility. I don't think even street cops vigorously enforcing traffic rules will be able to help this area much longer. I dare to say that Houston might need to concentrate on the galleria/uptown/Westchase area to get ahead of the traffic nightmare soon to come.

Edited by ricco67

Uptown park struggled for years and I still remember when they were allowing non-profit orgs. to use the space for free, just so the place didn't look empty. I think it is going to be a real uphill battle trying to find the unique types of businesses that are going to want to go into this area.

Uptown Park, developed by Interfin, sold to AmREIT for the highest publicly-known price per square foot in the history of this city. Check out the tenant list.

So what is the difference between it and the shopping centers along Post Oak just south of San Felipe? Basically, the design, layout, and quality of the environment. One is a faux-Euro playground for the nouveau riche, the others are dumpy strip centers. That's a no-brainer. :wacko: