The Mark: Condominiums At 3505 Sage Rd.

Scott44

Could someone give me some info/suggestions about The Mark Condominium? I'd really apprciate it! I am new to town. Single, wants to live in a highrise condo. I heard that The Mark at 3505 Sage is affordable. I went there and found there are many for sale. They built it in 2000, why still not that many sold? Please give me some advice. I have read some articles there. Very helpful. Just no one mentioned The Mark yet. Thanks in advance,

• Like 1

My brother lives in the Mark on one of the top floors. I would say it is a pretty nice complex. He has a one bedroom but I think they have several floor plans. Of course its a great location with easy access to the freeways. They have a nice pool lobby area, 24 hour security and complementary valet as well. Just a couple months ago the management team changed, and made alot of landscaping changes and added marble to the hallways. They seem to be aggressively selling. I'm not really sure why the previous team didn't sell as many units. Oh and if this is an added bonus, Shaq O'Neal has a unit there and we've seen him pass through a couple of times in the offseason with his daughter.

My brother lives in the Mark on one of the top floors. I would say it is a pretty nice complex. He has a one bedroom but I think they have several floor plans. Of course its a great location with easy access to the freeways. They have a nice pool lobby area, 24 hour security and complementary valet as well. Just a couple months ago the management team changed, and made alot of landscaping changes and added marble to the hallways. They seem to be aggressively selling. I'm not really sure why the previous team didn't sell as many units. Oh and if this is an added bonus, Shaq O'Neal has a unit there and we've seen him pass through a couple of times in the offseason with his daughter.

Really Shaq has a house there? He also has a house near my aunt in the Sugarland area. The maid there was killed by her son.

Could someone give me some info/suggestions about The Mark Condominium? I'd really apprciate it! I am new to town. Single, wants to live in a highrise condo. I heard that The Mark at 3505 Sage is affordable. I went there and found there are many for sale. They built it in 2000, why still not that many sold? Please give me some advice. I have read some articles there. Very helpful. Just no one mentioned The Mark yet. Thanks in advance,

The neighbor of The Mark, 3525 Sage, flooded in the lobby a few years ago during Allison. Some may say that a lot of the city flooded then but I thought you should know.

The older buildings such as Four Leaf or 5000 Montrose are priced better. 5000 is a great building in a walking neighborhood. There is an old hotel next door currently undergoing renovation as doctor's offices.

In my opinion, Four Leaf is priced low because of the publicity it received after a fire a few years back. Houston did not require the buildings to have sprinklers until recently.

As someone else mentioned, don't expect a lot of appreciation in value but it is a great lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have been looking at high rise condominiums for sale in the greater Houston area and was hoping to get a little more information about the Mark Condominiums since the last time I saw it posted here. Last I checked, there are 38 units that are still for sale at the Mark. Why are they having such a hard time selling units? The galleria is a great area and the building seems to be very nice. I also don't understand the reasoning behind the affordable prices. I have seen similar floorplans at other buildings that have cost much more. I am assuming that the affordable prices are a result of the lack of sales. Any info would be great.

Thanks

• Like 1

This may come in handy in case you have school age children...

Right now the complex is zoned to the following Houston ISD schools:

* Pilgrim Elementary School (http://es.houstonisd.org/pilgrimes/)

* Grady Middle School (http://ms.houstonisd.org/gradyms/)

and a choice of:

* Lamar High School (http://hs.houstonisd.org/lamarhs/)

* Lee High School (http://hs.houstonisd.org/leehs/)

* Westside High School (http://hs.houstonisd.org/westsidehs/)

HOWEVER, starting in fall 2006, the condo will be rezoned to the brand new St. George Place Elementary School off of Hidalgo street. The school was formed from the School at Post Oak (http://es.houstonisd.org/postoakes/), a TEA "Recognized" school and is better than Pilgrim.

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Pilgram_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Grady_MS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lee_HS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Westside_HS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/SchoolatPostOak_ES.pdf

High-school wise, Lamar is the closest to the condo and it has a much better academic program than Lee.

Keep in mind that HISD also has many magnet and transfer programs available.

Edited by VicMan

I have been looking at high rise condominiums for sale in the greater Houston area and was hoping to get a little more information about the Mark Condominiums since the last time I saw it posted here. Last I checked, there are 38 units that are still for sale at the Mark. Why are they having such a hard time selling units? The galleria is a great area and the building seems to be very nice. I also don't understand the reasoning behind the affordable prices. I have seen similar floorplans at other buildings that have cost much more. I am assuming that the affordable prices are a result of the lack of sales. Any info would be great.

Thanks

I'm assuming the developer still has 38 units plus those listed on har.com as resales. If you work in the Galleria it would be great but otherwise the traffic would be tough. 3525 Sage and The Bristol next door don't help. It's just my opinion but I think the building is not architecturally attractive.

Have you considered 5000 Montrose or The Spires? These are older buildings (1980's) but resales are strong. With 5000 Montrose you have a great walking neighborhood. For more of a loft feel try Il Palazzio. I would be interested in which building you choose and why. Please keep us posted!

I'm assuming the developer still has 38 units plus those listed on har.com as resales. If you work in the Galleria it would be great but otherwise the traffic would be tough. 3525 Sage and The Bristol next door don't help. It's just my opinion but I think the building is not architecturally attractive.

Have you considered 5000 Montrose or The Spires? These are older buildings (1980's) but resales are strong. With 5000 Montrose you have a great walking neighborhood. For more of a loft feel try Il Palazzio. I would be interested in which building you choose and why. Please keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply. the 38 units I was referring to are the ones listed on har.com; I don't know what the developer is still trying to sell. I have considered 5000 Montrose and The Spires. The only reason I was leaning toward the Mark is because it is newer and the floorplans and interiors are more attractive. The interiors of some of the units for sale at Montrose and Spires are old and need work. The bottom line is I could get a modern unit on a higher floor, larger balcony and with a good view at the Mark for the same price as a unit at the other two on a lower floor and I would need to redo floors, cabinets, etc.

Thanks for the reply. the 38 units I was referring to are the ones listed on har.com; I don't know what the developer is still trying to sell. I have considered 5000 Montrose and The Spires. The only reason I was leaning toward the Mark is because it is newer and the floorplans and interiors are more attractive. The interiors of some of the units for sale at Montrose and Spires are old and need work. The bottom line is I could get a modern unit on a higher floor, larger balcony and with a good view at the Mark for the same price as a unit at the other two on a lower floor and I would need to redo floors, cabinets, etc.

Good point. I think I saw an ad in last Sunday's Chronicle for units at The Mark. The ad appeared to be by the developer.

If you plan on being in a building for a long time resale is not that important. If you think there is a possibility you may sell in a few years resale will gain importance over other factors.

Shirley Sanders is a local Realtor who publishes a chart on what is available in each high rise building and how many have sold over recent years. This will tell you how many months supply is currently on the market. If 10 units are currently for sale and the prior two years have had sales of 5 each year, you have a two year supply on the market. That would be tough is you are trying to sell.

• 2 months later...

Thanks

Just thought I could be of help here, in case you were still looking at The Mark. We owned a unit there, and its still in the family (sold it to my parents since we were moving out of town). We bought our 2 bedroom unit (6th floor, north side) for the same reason that you are considering it....very affordable. We bought preconstruction there for $210K. For the location, it is a really great deal. The reason for the pricing is that it probably is not quite as luxurious as the $300-500K units in the uptown area. They cost-save in certain areas, for example - granite TILE countertops instead of granite slab, carpet interiors (though slate tile in the foyer and kitchens), no crown molding, basic lighting fixtures (we upgraded alot on the lights). Because of this, the standard, un-upgraded unit would be considered more mid-luxury. Of course, you can upgrade most of these features and make it what you want.

Positives

- The construction is solid, solid concrete walls and floors with great sound-proofing.

- very high ceilings, I think they are 14 feet in the living areas, 10 feet in the bathrooms.

- huuuuuge balconies in the center 2 bedroom units

- pool and spa are pretty nice (the view on the weekends. I swear some of the pretty young things who live there must work at the gentleman's club across the street. Funny thing, my dad caught Shaq - who owns a unit there - taking in the view from the lobby one day)

- awesome location: blocks from the galleria. Convenient access to both 610 and 59. i never found the traffic to be that bad...you are far enough from the Galleria.

- Sweet views from the North facing higher floors (though you lose the pool view)

Negatives

- Smallish exercise facilities

- exterior is ok, some don't really like it

- as you said, they still have about 30% of the units left for sale so if you expect to live there for a few years and sell, it may be difficult. If you expect to live there for a long time, its probably not too much of a concern, since they'll eventually sell out.

- you only get 1 assigned parking space, and if you happen to get one of the floors higher up, its a delicate flower cause there are tons of annoying speed bumps (the car unfriendly type that kills your car).

Overall, we really enjoyed staying there....people of all backgrounds live there from empty-nesters to young professionals (not too many families as would be expected from a high-rise condo).

• 10 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston photo: 3505 Sage Rd.