Uptown And Galleria Area Real Estate

Subdude

Galleria is quickly going to be like a miniature version of New York, pretty soon it will be a 24 hr place to live. Galleria will be a suburb unto itself where people will be able to live and work in the area and little need to get out, and I wouldn't be surprised if the galleria mall would eventually be open 24hrs in the next decade. You shouldn't worry at the lack of variety as far as shops goes, there will be enough business for "support" businesses there as it is. As property values increase, I wouldn't doubt few of the strip malls will give way to mixed use buildings.

I like your optimistic enthusiasm, but in all reality, we both know Uptown will never be like New York (I'm assuming you meant Midtown Manhattan), nor would the Galleria ever stay open for 24 hours.

I do agree that we will eventually see the end of strip-malls along Post Oak blvd., making way for mixed-use high rise development. I don't think we would see that though for another 30 to 50 years. I'd love to be proven wrong and watch Post Oak become Houston's next pedestrian friendly boulevard within the next 20 years, but I just don't see it happening - yet.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your optimistic enthusiasm, but in all reality, we both know Uptown will never be like New York (I'm assuming you meant Midtown Manhattan), nor would the Galleria ever stay open for 24 hours.

I do agree that we will eventually see the end of strip-malls along Post Oak blvd., making way for mixed-use high rise development. I don't think we would see that though for another 30 to 50 years. I'd love to be proven wrong and watch Post Oak become Houston's next pedestrian friendly boulevard within the next 20 years, but I just don't see it happening - yet.

yes, I was referring to Midtown Manhattan, while I didn't say it was going to happen next year, I was thinking about sometime after 2015-2020. As more building come online and the area gets to be more populated, it is VERY possible that not only would those that live in the galleria would work in the galleria, but also would work downtown and in the reverse would also be true as Downtown's population (workforce and living) increase.

Whether the galleria would go 24 hrs may or may not happen, but it is not out of the realm of impossibility. Especially as new hotels keep going online in the galleria.

As far as those strip malls yes, they will go away, it will just take time.

yes, I was referring to Midtown Manhattan, while I didn't say it was going to happen next year, I was thinking about sometime after 2015-2020. As more building come online and the area gets to be more populated, it is VERY possible that not only would those that live in the galleria would work in the galleria, but also would work downtown and in the reverse would also be true as Downtown's population (workforce and living) increase.

Whether the galleria would go 24 hrs may or may not happen, but it is not out of the realm of impossibility. Especially as new hotels keep going online in the galleria.

As far as those strip malls yes, they will go away, it will just take time.

Actually, the galleria going 24hrs is a good idea. I don't think you can go wrong on that.

Actually, the galleria going 24hrs is a good idea. I don't think you can go wrong on that.

i doubt this would happen in our lifetimes. realistically there are just not enough customers late night, esp for boutiques and other specialty stores. it wasn't til the 80's that stores even opened on sunday.

i doubt this would happen in our lifetimes. realistically there are just not enough customers late night, esp for boutiques and other specialty stores. it wasn't til the 80's that stores even opened on sunday.

then you should remember that the reason stories weren't open on sunday was because of the blue law that merchants rebelled against.

then you should remember that the reason stories weren't open on sunday was because of the blue law that merchants rebelled against.

correct i remember the blue law, that's why they weren't open on sundays. i just don't see people demanding that tiffany's, burberry's etc should be open 24 hrs a day.

correct i remember the blue law, that's why they weren't open on sundays. i just don't see people demanding that tiffany's, burberry's etc should be open 24 hrs a day.

this 24 hour thing is kind of cool. i can't help but mention that i think it is strange to hear that people actually want it, and i don' think it's a bad thing. However, it makes me think that downtown is further ahead then some might think. In reality hasn't downtown been trying to go in a 24 hour direction for years. while the idea of a 24 hour environment is nice, i am not sure that the galleria can stomach what comes along with it. houston is a big city and the people should start thinking of it as such, so that it can develop naturally instead of trying to control every aspect of it in a way that somehow stems back to trying to remind them of some neighborhood from up north. I think that a majority of the good things that have occured in this town in areas have actually occured on their own. It seems like when we try to be the miami's, ft. lauderdales, and la's with the slick bars and establishments is when the appeal is short-lived for establishments and centers just like on post oak today. the ones being called dumps in this thread are actually out performing the caesars/vegas looking projects that they are talking about tearing down and that have had a (200,000 sf + ?) vacant for years now. nothing looks great boarded up to me, regardless of how much art work you stick in windows outside or how much one trys to disguise it. but that's just me. performance does matter more than just looks. sorry.

This is not Las Vegas or New York, Houston's only 24 places will be IHOP's and Walmart's for a long time.

Maybe the mindset of Houston needs to change and someone,somebody,something needs to initiate change. Houston is too much status quo, conservative. Pretty sad.

It was mentioned above, but its unlikely that any of the stores besides maybe Borders and a select few restaurants would want to deal with the hassles of 24 hour business. Also I doubt that Simon Management would want to deal with the logistics of 24 hour service.

It was mentioned above, but its unlikely that any of the stores besides maybe Borders and a select few restaurants would want to deal with the hassles of 24 hour business. Also I doubt that Simon Management would want to deal with the logistics of 24 hour service.

What about a whole foods with a 24-hour "Chester-Chicken" Drive through that has a window complete with a neon sign saying "now serving hot-chicken !" , and a large putt-putt golf course carved through an empty mall ?

What about a whole foods with a 24-hour "Chester-Chicken" Drive through that has a window complete with a neon sign saying "now serving hot-chicken !" , and a large putt-putt golf course carved through an empty mall ?

LOL don't go into urban planning! you will fail miserably.

But you also have to remember, the stores were not not opened for business because of lack of business, but because the law. Once the law was repealed (or ignored) malls started slowly, but eventually has enough business like we have today. In case you haven't noticed, malls have a tendency to be rather packed on sundays. It's along the lines of "build it and they will come."

This is not Las Vegas or New York, Houston's only 24 places will be IHOP's and Walmart's for a long time.

See my previous paragraph. While I don't think it will happen over night, word will spread and the tourist and business travelers will understand (especially those with a severe case of jet lag or those that work odd hours) have something to do.

Initially the increase in business will be slow to be sure, but it won't be as busy as it would be during the day to be sure and it will be adequately staffed.

As far as the crime element goes: Recently someone walked in and run out with a $75K Rolex. I'm sure that's just one of a number of incidents that occur at a mall of this size that rarely make the papers.

The incident that occurred Saturday night had absolutely nothing with the Mall, but rather a bunch of thugs that had a fight at an area club two blocks away from the mall.

I'm not saying the mall WILL go 24hr, but it surely is a possibility in the not TOO distant future.

But you also have to remember, the stores were not not opened for business because of lack of business, but because the law. Once the law was repealed (or ignored) malls started slowly, but eventually has enough business like we have today. In case you haven't noticed, malls have a tendency to be rather packed on sundays. It's along the lines of "build it and they will come."
i never said shopping during the day is a bad idea...i mentioned the blue law because it wasn't that long ago that merchants weren't open on sunday (some of our younger members don't remember since they weren't born). i said it will be difficult for merchants to stay open 24 hrs/day because some items are just not wanted in the middle of the night and therefore wouldn't be profitable for certain stores to stay open late. Edited by musicman

i never said shopping during the day is a bad idea...i mentioned the blue law because it wasn't that long ago that merchants weren't open on sunday (some of our younger members don't remember since they weren't born). i said it will be difficult for merchants to stay open 24 hrs/day because some items are just not wanted in the middle of the night and therefore wouldn't be profitable for certain stores to stay open late.

Shopping during the day is what most of us do. Or maybe I misread the statement I put in bold.

Not long ago = 16-20 years ago? Dude. What do you consider a significant time?

Again; in the initial days when the blue law was "ignored" the malls were generally empty, including the Galleria. It took a year (I think) before they got a decent amount of business.

Shopping during the day is what most of us do. Or maybe I misread the statement I put in bold.

Not long ago = 16-20 years ago? Dude. What do you consider a significant time?

Again; in the initial days when the blue law was "ignored" the malls were generally empty, including the Galleria. It took a year (I think) before they got a decent amount of business.

i was just replying to your statement But you also have to remember, the stores were not not opened for business because of lack of business, but because the law. because i knew that. you implied that i said they were closed because of a lack of business. i never said that. i mentioned it specifically because many in the younger crowd dont remember stores were closed on sundays.

20 yrs isn't long ago but i will admit it is significant 100 yrs is long ago for me. i just went to a memorial service and was talking to a friends brother and was amazed that i have known him since he was 7 and now he's 35.

the blue law wasnt ignored as far as i know, it was repealed in the 80's.

i was just replying to your statement But you also have to remember, the stores were not not opened for business because of lack of business, but because the law. because i knew that. you implied that i said they were closed because of a lack of business. i never said that. i mentioned it specifically because many in the younger crowd dont remember stores were closed on sundays.

20 yrs isn't long ago but i will admit it is significant 100 yrs is long ago for me. i just went to a memorial service and was talking to a friends brother and was amazed that i have known him since he was 7 and now he's 35.

the blue law wasnt ignored as far as i know, it was repealed in the 80's.

No, the law wasn't repealed until after a few months after the stores "ignored" the blue law. I understand that stores were closed on sundays BECAUSE of the law, but I distinctly remember some malls ignoring it. I can't recall what prompted the "protest" of some stores/malls to open on sundays, though.

No, its more along the lines of: Sunday - it's only one of the two days most people have off every week to go places like the Galleria.

No, the law wasn't repealed until after a few months after the stores "ignored" the blue law. I understand that stores were closed on sundays BECAUSE of the law, but I distinctly remember some malls ignoring it. I can't recall what prompted the "protest" of some stores/malls to open on sundays, though.

i think the blue law's origins were becoming archaic to some. but then at the same time we still have some items governed by blue laws such as alcohol.

It will never go 24 hours. There are two things that keep the Galleria from innovating or being a 24 hour live and work environment: the conservative status-quo nature of most residents all over the area (as someone mentioned), and the growing criminal class.

What do you mean ? crim-class.

What do you mean ? crim-class.

Socio-economic class of people who just live day to day and have no problem with stealing, robbing, committing a violent crime, or killing someone. This would include those who not only don't have a problem with it, but actively engage in crimes on a regular basis. This element of the city has really grown throughout the last few years, and unfortunately, because of the perceived danger, the Galleria area may never become a 24 hour urbanized area.