The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

• 3 months later...

The astrodome site seems like a horrible location for residential, hotel and office space. It's right next to Reliant and too far from any streets to create any sense of place. Some sort of museum would fit ok I think because people are just visiting it. It would feel weird to live there or stay in as a hotel. Just imagine seeing lots of parking lot out your window.; not very inviting.

• 8 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Harris County Commissioners set to vote on $105 million Astrodome revamp

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Harris-County-Commissioners-Court-to-vote-Tuesday-12584742.php

There goes the principle thinking of democracy. The voters rejected the bond for improvements in 2013. Why must Ed Emmett and others go against the will of the voters? The stadium is beyond saving due to years of neglect. Demolish it and use the money for improved infrastructure across the city. A starting point would be improving existing structures against flooding or anything related to flooding. 

The voters voted against a particular plan for the Dome with a particular price tag.   This is a different plan with a different price tag and a different funding mechanism.

What is your evidence that the Astrodome is beyond saving?  (Hint:  There is none.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Harris-County-Commissioners-Court-to-vote-Tuesday-12584742.php

There goes the principle thinking of democracy. The voters rejected the bond for improvements in 2013. Why must Ed Emmett and others go against the will of the voters? The stadium is beyond saving due to years of neglect. Demolish it and use the money for improved infrastructure across the city. A starting point would be improving existing structures against flooding or anything related to flooding. 

What I voted against was spending money turning the Astrodome into a convention center. Houston already has a convention center, and on top of that NRG is a terrific convention arena right next to the dome. As part of the previous superbowl we hosted the GRB was recently renovated.

I never voted to demolish the dome. I voted against a silly idea to make another publicly funded convention space, especially when we struggle to fill the existing convention spaces.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Because it would’ve been a complete waste of millions to demolish it for parking lot. Instead, they get a parking lot in the lower levels and a usable, flexible space on top, all of which could generate revenue.

But I guess this simple idea is too hard for some individuals to comprehend. I’m happy the Dome will be saved. It’s a better deal for the city/county then demolition and keeps a piece of civic history in tact.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Right... So all the university educated, well-informed voters who voted against this in 2013 are idiots. Okay.

Just because you've got a shiny set of credentials doesn't mean you're well-informed, nor does it mean you are not a fool.

• Like 1

On the day a Dome renovation plan was agreed to, the Toronto Maple Leafs took the ice at Mattamy Athletic Centre, formerly known as Maple Leaf Gardens. A $60M renovation that included a supermarket was partially funded by the Canadian government. 

You up don’t tear down history. You preserve it. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, tigereye said:

Idea: When the renovation is complete, host a car show in the Dome. 

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/1030711043121668096?s=21

That is an excellent idea. For a few years there was a classic car show each year at NRG stadium. The diffuse light from the translucent roof was great for showcasing the automobiles and, of course, the weather outside didn't matter

10 minutes ago, Specwriter said:

That is an excellent idea. For a few years there was a classic car show each year at NRG stadium. The diffuse light from the translucent roof was great for showcasing the automobiles and, of course, the weather outside didn't matter

Yeah, the "Classy Chassis" concours has been at NRG Stadium - not sure if it's still being held there annually. 

On the other hand, there's a precedent for a slightly different type of automobile event at the Dome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4oi9FkzttU

On 8/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, mkultra25 said:

On the other hand, there's a precedent for a slightly different type of automobile event at the Dome:

In fact, in 1969, 1970, and 1972 the 'dome was home to the "Astro Grand Prix" indoor midget car race (there was no race in '71). It was a big deal, and the best open wheel drivers from across the country competed. The track was a 1/4 mile dirt oval. Initially, it was successful with strong attendance but it sort of faded away. The folks who ran the 'dome said the dirt and dust damaged the huge air conditioning system and, by the 3rd edition, it was not making money. The winners of the three races were, Tom Bigelow in 1969, A.J. Foyt in 1970, and Gary Bettenhausen in 1972. I attended the 1970 race with my father. Recall by 1970 Foyt had already won the Indianapolis 500 three times - 1961, 1964, and 1967.

At the end of the race my eyes and throat burned from the fumes and there was a large yellowish brown "cloud" at the ceiling of the 'dome. Still, it was a great time with Dad; one I will always remember. I visited my father today and we did recall some of the other great times we've had. You know how it is when you get older - it's easier to remember what happened fifty years ago than what happened yesterday.

Classy Chassis was discontinued a few years ago. I e-mailed the organizers and thanked them for holding the event and let them know how much I enjoyed it. They told me they were pleased to be able to organize it and, while it had been successful, it was just too much effort to maintain.

Edited by Specwriter

22 hours ago, Specwriter said:

In fact, in 1969, 1970, and 1972 the 'dome was home to the "Astro Grand Prix" indoor midget car race (there was no race in '71). It was a big deal, and the best open wheel drivers from across the country competed. The track was a 1/4 mile dirt oval. Initially, it was successful with strong attendance but it sort of faded away. The folks who ran the 'dome said the dirt and dust damaged the huge air conditioning system and, by the 3rd edition, it was not making money. The winners of the three races were, Tom Bigelow in 1969, A.J. Foyt in 1970, and Gary Bettenhausen in 1972. I attended the 1970 race with my father. Recall by 1970 Foyt had already won the Indianapolis 500 three times - 1961, 1964, and 1967.

At the end of the race my eyes and throat burned from the fumes and there was a large yellowish brown "cloud" at the ceiling of the 'dome. Still, it was a great time with Dad; one I will always remember. I visited my father today and we did recall some of the other great times we've had. You know how it is when you get older - it's easier to remember what happened fifty years ago than what happened yesterday.

Classy Chassis was discontinued a few years ago. I e-mailed the organizers and thanked them for holding the event and let them know how much I enjoyed it. They told me they were pleased to be able to organize it and, while it had been successful, it was just too much effort to maintain.

Wow, I would've loved to have seen one of those midget races in the Dome. It had its share of notable motorsports events there, not least of which were the AMA Grand National dirt track motorcycle races. In 1972, Kenny Roberts won the first pro race of his storied career at the AMA short-track event at the Dome. And in 1975 at the AMA season opener, David Aldana debuted his infamous "skeleton" racing leathers. 

Sorry to hear that Classy Chassis is no more - I never made it to one of those, despite intending to go every year. How did it compare to the Keels & Wheels Concours in Seabrook?

12 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Sorry to hear that Classy Chassis is no more - I never made it to one of those, despite intending to go every year. How did it compare to the Keels & Wheels Concours in Seabrook?

Classy Chassis wasn't as extensive as Keels & Wheels and, of course, the yacht club was a great venue even if rather warm sometimes (K&W is usually held the first weekend in May). That said, the quality of the cars shown at Classy Chassis was comparable to K&W. There seemed to be themes for each year's event. One year it was competition cars and included everything from a 1920's Bugatti to Jim Hall's Chaparral J2 (the notorious "fan" or "sucker" car) from the early 1970's. Being in air conditioning was a huge plus and, like I already mentioned, the diffuse lighting was great for taking photographs.

12 hours ago, Specwriter said:

Classy Chassis wasn't as extensive as Keels & Wheels and, of course, the yacht club was a great venue even if rather warm sometimes (K&W is usually held the first weekend in May). That said, the quality of the cars shown at Classy Chassis was comparable to K&W. There seemed to be themes for each year's event. One year it was competition cars and included everything from a 1920's Bugatti to Jim Hall's Chaparral J2 (the notorious "fan" or "sucker" car) from the early 1970's. Being in air conditioning was a huge plus and, like I already mentioned, the diffuse lighting was great for taking photographs.

Now I'm really regretting not making an effort to go - the competition car themed one sounds tremendous. Wonder if someone associated with the event knew Jim Hall, and just called him up and asked him if he'd like to bring a Chaparral down from Midland to Houston?

Thinking about that reminds me of a story I read on a Corvette forum some years ago - one of the members there was looking for a Mecom Racing Team decal, possibly for use on his vintage racing car, in the mid-1990s. He looked up the number for the John W. Mecom Company in the phone book, called, and managed to get Mecom himself on the phone after talking his way past a couple of assistants. He explained what he was in search of, and wound up having a nice chat with Mecom, who turned out to have some of the original 1960s-vintage decals left in his shop and sent the guy a couple. 

14 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Now I'm really regretting not making an effort to go - the competition car themed one sounds tremendous. Wonder if someone associated with the event knew Jim Hall, and just called him up and asked him if he'd like to bring a Chaparral down from Midland to Houston?

Thinking about that reminds me of a story I read on a Corvette forum some years ago - one of the members there was looking for a Mecom Racing Team decal, possibly for use on his vintage racing car, in the mid-1990s. He looked up the number for the John W. Mecom Company in the phone book, called, and managed to get Mecom himself on the phone after talking his way past a couple of assistants. He explained what he was in search of, and wound up having a nice chat with Mecom, who turned out to have some of the original 1960s-vintage decals left in his shop and sent the guy a couple. 

That was pretty cool of John Mecom. He was a real car guy and a class act for sure.

• 2 months later...

Does Lina Hidalgo’s upset win over Ed Emmett put the Dome renovation in any jeopardy now? Or are we too far down the line, given County Commissionsers prior approval? 

https://www.chron.com/news/politics/houston/article/Harris-County-Commissioners-Court-OKs-105M-plan-12610107.php

Edited by tigereye

4 hours ago, OkieEric said:

Hasn't the community been involved over the past 20 or so years that we've been debating this?  I'll bet she's not going to do anything.  Probably is just surprised she won.  Emmett mentioned during the campaign that some of the things she's talking about aren't even in the purview of the commissioners court.

The Astrodome is now marked as a historical landmark so it cannot be demolished.  The demolish crowd can no longer get their wish. Will see if this clueless and brain empty new judge can actually figure that out. There is going to have to be someone pulling the strings behind her because she just does not seem to have the real world experience to do this job well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Astrodome-to-receive-Recorded-Texas-Historic-12759587.php

Edited by cougarpad

2 hours ago, cougarpad said:

Will see if this clueless and brain empty new judge can actually figure that out.

That seems a little harsh.
Idealistic, inexperienced, maybe a bit naive, sure, but there's no evidence that she's lacking intellect.