new bike paths around town

Cullen Blvd update:

East side MUP is essentially complete from I-45 to Cougar Place. West side from I-45 to Fertitta Center. Both sides are complete from Brays Bayou / N. MacGregor to within a block or so of Wheeler. In general, the missing segments are mostly complete except for their endpoints, where I assume there are wires and such that require more careful construction techniques.

20230527_104932.jpg

20230527_104751.jpg

20230527_104745.jpg

20230527_105026.jpg

20230527_105112.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 8:21 AM, 004n063 said:

Shepherd @ Blossom

20230528_081943.jpg

20230528_081945.jpg

Forgot to update yesterday:

I explored the area after taking and posting these photos. Both Shepherd and Durham have barrier-protected bike lanes between Feagan and Washington. Here's my evaluation:

Pro:

1) The infrastructure is good. The lanes appear to be between 6ft and 9ft in width, and at each end they mount a wide sidewalk-level platform area that doubles as a bus stop. The intersections with Washington and Feagan are striped well for bicycle visibility.

2) The infrastructure is moderately useful. Obviously Shepherd and Durham are quintessential stroads that combine dangerous car speeds with frequent conflict zones and a relatively high destination density. Any protected infrastructure on Shepherd or Durham is useful. However, this also helps connect Rice Military with the Heights, because the Washington intersection on Patterson is unsignalized. Now you can at least safely access a signalized intersection and use Center St. to reconnect with Patterson.

Con: It's short, and based on the mounted termini, I don't anticipate an extension. The big Shepherd Durham project in the Memorial Heights TIRZ has a southern terminus at 6th, so these won't connect to those paths, and I haven't seen anything indicating a planned connection to Buffalo Bayou. 

That said, getting a quarter-mile extension at the south end and a roughly one-mile extension on the north end feels more feasible now that an intervening segment has already been built.

Anybody know why Google Maps is showing Fannin as a high-comfort bike lane through midtown? Is that coming with the water main reconstruction? Would be pretty awsome if so.

But I've never seen Google Maps be ahead of something before. They still don't believe me about Lawndale, Almeda, East 11th, or Nicholson north of 19th...

Screenshot_20230601-172853_Maps.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, 004n063 said:

But I've never seen Google Maps be ahead of something before. They still don't believe me about Lawndale, Almeda, East 11th, or Nicholson north of 19th...

Google Maps ahead of something? They still have problems accurately distinguishing between Durham and N. Durham, or between Main, N. Main, and S. Main. 

Wanted to discuss something bike related and I feel like this thread is the best place for it. We have wonderful lanes on Austin and Caroline and I use them all the time. In the same vein, Gray is a great resource. I don't really get why I see people on bikes on Fannin and San Jacinto. San Jacinto especially because the protected bike lanes, once you pass a few after the underpass, are one street to the right. I saw some riders taking San Jacinto into downtown and then turning towards discovery green. Then ran into the same riders going back up on Fannin later in the day. Genuinely miffed, I don't get it. The riders were all kitted out too, so you'd think they would know about the paths. What am I missing? 

I want all riders to be safe, and the safest bet is away from high traffic areas and on the lanes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, X.R. said:

Wanted to discuss something bike related and I feel like this thread is the best place for it. We have wonderful lanes on Austin and Caroline and I use them all the time. In the same vein, Gray is a great resource. I don't really get why I see people on bikes on Fannin and San Jacinto. San Jacinto especially because the protected bike lanes, once you pass a few after the underpass, are one street to the right. I saw some riders taking San Jacinto into downtown and then turning towards discovery green. Then ran into the same riders going back up on Fannin later in the day. Genuinely miffed, I don't get it. The riders were all kitted out too, so you'd think they would know about the paths. What am I missing? 

I want all riders to be safe, and the safest bet is away from high traffic areas and on the lanes.  

Not everyone needs a bike lane. I've been riding for 8 years and I'm very comfortable riding with traffic but I also don't wake up every day wanting to ride with traffic so I take the bike lanes. At the end of the day, bike lanes are for families, kids, casual riders, etc. We need more bike lanes to promote growth in the scene from the bottom up. Right now it's mostly experienced riders on the street. Either way there is nothing wrong with people sharing the road with cyclists as long as they do it safely. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, X.R. said:

The Caroline lanes are one-way, so I kinda get it? But I avoid stroads like San Jacinto as much as possible, so I also don't get it. Idk. I think Texasota might be right. I don't have any problems with the lycra crowd (as long as they're not trying to fight against good bike infrastructure), but I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap in our priorities.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, X.R. said:

I don't know about Fannin, but San Jacinto I can speak to. when I was training heavily for my half ironman, I would do a circuit that included a leg that went from Hermann park into downtown first on Caroline,then I would jog over to San Jacinto. 

San Jacinto specifically because the lights were timed, if I went 25mph I could catch green all the way from Alabama to Webster, which I think was only 2 lights, but still, it was nearly a mile of being able to push hard uninterrupted by stop lights, or stop signs.

that was nearly 10 years ago now though, so the lights may be timed differently now. 

the Austin section of bike lane is nice for a leisurely ride.

on the subject, I still don't understand why they didn't choose to use Caroline for the bike lane south of Alabama street, that would have been much safer than the current configuration bike lane, and actually I choose to take that over the current bike lane that runs parallel a few streets over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

on the subject, I still don't understand why they didn't choose to use Caroline for the bike lane south of Alabama street, that would have been much safer than the current configuration bike lane, and actually I choose to take that over the current bike lane that runs parallel a few streets over. 

La Branch has lights at Alabama and Wheeler, plus either ROW or 4-way stops at all intersections. Makes things much easier if you're crossing at rush hour. I would assume that's the reason for the route selection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 7:13 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

Regarding the Rutland St Bridge, there's been workers doing some sort of Utility work here on this map:

image.png.3d88cc4cca371437489026701e9f98a6.png
Not sure if it's related.

According to TxDOT, they are about 35% in design and they have done some soil sampling. On track for groundbreaking fall 2024 *fingers crossed*

Hoping to see Houston Parks Board enter an Inter local agreement with TxDOT to take over maintenance for embellishments of the bridge such as lights, extra width, benches , etc that txdot wouldn’t do by themselves 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, emmanume said:

https://www.bikehouston.org/news/action-alert-show-your-support-for-east-end-bikeways

East End project including Navigation, Milby and 72nd at risk of losing funding. Please take a moment to read through this post and send an email to the leadership of this TIRZ

Forgive my ignorance, but does anybody know what address to send the email to?

• 1 month later...

Minor update: there used to be a about a hundred yards of West Dallas St. west of Dunlavy where the bike lanes disappeared; that gap has been eliminated, so armadillo-protected lanes are continuous from Shepherd to Waugh on the south side. On the north side, there is a new bike lane segment between Dunlavy and Tirrell, but it is paint only.

20230805_055221.jpg.2934dd28ab3b2bdace1fdfdc2502e2e4.jpg

20230805_055325.jpg.7fc14a79e3c4d92a4d891dec3a530d7c.jpg

If I recall correctly, there are plans to extend these lanes east to Montrose, to extend the Waugh lanes to Allen Parkway, to construct bike lanes on West Gray between Shepherd and Waugh, and to build a multiuse pathway on Montrose from Dallas to Allen.

In my opinion, that's the right approach for a neighborhood to take - incremental but network-oriented.

But I do not know how to solve a problem like Shepherd.

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, wilcal said:

Lots of good discussion at the BAC Infrastructure meeting yesterday. They did mention that Commerce would be the next major city-tackled project. 

Another Commerce-related update at the BAC Infrastructure meeting last week.

Basically, there had been some... concerns that only a small portion of Commerce was happening. Basically, the city is only doing a small portion, but Harris County would be taking it east to the Harrisburg Trail terminus and the railroad underpass would take it west, and then NHHIP would take it into downtown.

It'll take awhile, but will get done eventually. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Blodgett (from Scott to Ennis) has turned into one of the best-designed streets in the city.20230924_112427.jpg.f5993ce0bb5d6de64acc219bd890f028.jpg

20230924_112456.jpg.741c8f97cae171a2b85308af11cb48c7.jpg

20230924_112454.jpg.4737065e8439265f85e02cca97fa7c0f.jpg

Of course, now that Cullen is (functionally) finished, it's hard not to give it the crown.

Regardless - Third Ward is making its case for the best biking "bones" in the city. Just need more bike-amenable destinations besides the universities.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Blodgett (from Scott to Ennis) has turned into one of the best-designed streets in the city.20230924_112427.jpg.f5993ce0bb5d6de64acc219bd890f028.jpg

20230924_112456.jpg.741c8f97cae171a2b85308af11cb48c7.jpg

20230924_112454.jpg.4737065e8439265f85e02cca97fa7c0f.jpg

Of course, now that Cullen is (functionally) finished, it's hard not to give it the crown.

Regardless - Third Ward is making its case for the best biking "bones" in the city. Just need more bike-amenable destinations besides the universities.

And more cyclists, no?

18 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Sure, like everywhere else in the city (/country). But I see a similar number of people on bikes in 3W as in the Heights and 2W, and more than anywhere else in the city. 

yes! more people out there on bikes, that would be fantastic.

it can get there, no doubt. on the bike path to nowhere (currently), Lawndale near Wayside. I usually see 1 or 2 people on these paths any time I am in my car, and I am on that street at least daily.

I call it a path to nowhere because literally, at Telephone it ends, no other connecting lanes, and then at Forest Park Blvd it turns into a sharrows that just stops being marked about 30 feet after that intersection. 

with time there will be more bike lanes that can take people places from this one on Lawndale, and imagine, if 1 or 2 people are already using it with nowhere to go, once a rider can actually go somewhere safely? yeah. it'll happen.

Edited by samagon

6 hours ago, samagon said:

yes! more people out there on bikes, that would be fantastic.

it can get there, no doubt. on the bike path to nowhere (currently), Lawndale near Wayside. I usually see 1 or 2 people on these paths any time I am in my car, and I am on that street at least daily.

I call it a path to nowhere because literally, at Telephone it ends, no other connecting lanes, and then at Forest Park Blvd it turns into a sharrows that just stops being marked about 30 feet after that intersection. 

with time there will be more bike lanes that can take people places from this one on Lawndale, and imagine, if 1 or 2 people are already using it with nowhere to go, once a rider can actually go somewhere safely? yeah. it'll happen.

To be fair, it connects to the Brays Bayou path, which connects to Mason Park, the Med Center, and Southwest Houston.

And there are two projects planned for Telephone that will create bike facilities from Lockwood to somewhere around Hobby. There are also a decent number of businesses and homes) and a school) along Lawndale, and there are some solidly bikeable neighborhoods off of Lawndale. The Telephone project will definitely be an important utility boost, but it's not useless now.

14 hours ago, 004n063 said:

To be fair, it connects to the Brays Bayou path, which connects to Mason Park, the Med Center, and Southwest Houston.

And there are two projects planned for Telephone that will create bike facilities from Lockwood to somewhere around Hobby. There are also a decent number of businesses and homes) and a school) along Lawndale, and there are some solidly bikeable neighborhoods off of Lawndale. The Telephone project will definitely be an important utility boost, but it's not useless now.

very true about the bayou paths, and at least if you go upstream, you can access other paths that connect to the bayou.

I guess my overall point was that right now we are getting a whole lot of really nice paths in various areas of town, and not many are connected, or if they are, you have to go out of your way to get to a destination.

it's like if we had roads, but only 1/4 of them were paved, and then of the ones that were paved, not the entire length would be paved, and it wouldn't be contiguously paved. so if Westheimer were paved, Bagby to Taft would be paved, then it would be dirt from Taft to Shepherd, and then paved again to Kirby, then dirt all the way to 610. etc.

we have some great paths, at some point we will have a great connected network. the closer we get to that connected network (which will go a long way to making it a viable transit method), the more people will use it.

• Like 3

TIRZ 12, which is in the area between TC Jester, Hempstead Road, and the North Loop, is in the process of doing a mobility study. There is a map and survey you can fill out on their website to mark where we feel unsafe biking, walking, and driving. I know a lot of us bike in this study area so sharing it with the group if anyone is interested in marking up the map or taking the survey. They will be using these comments to help figure out where to place improved and safer cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. 

City Park | TIRZ 12 Mobility Plan | TIRZ 12 Mobility Study (mysocialpinpoint.com)

• Like 4

There are definitely some growing pains with these well executed bike lanes in this city. Residents in each neighborhood are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea that some people prefer not to drive. Even Council member Shabazz continues to bash these lanes on Blodgett saying they cause traffic. She's the moron who said the new highway connection from 610 to 45 was a transit solution for students while data shows that fewer and fewer young people are opting in to getting a license or a car. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

There are definitely some growing pains with these well executed bike lanes in this city. Residents in each neighborhood are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea that some people prefer not to drive. Even Council member Shabazz continues to bash these lanes on Blodgett saying they cause traffic. She's the moron who said the new highway connection from 610 to 45 was a transit solution for students while data shows that fewer and fewer young people are opting in to getting a license or a car. 

Imagine a pedestrianish city like Venice. Now let's say we built a few sporatic side roads that kind of connect but don't really connect to anything and they are filled with potholes and trash and are semi-unsafe to use. Would you be surprised if you saw only a few people per hour using those roads? I bet if they started connecting the roads, building branches, and building parking lots the amount of drivers would increase exponentially. Sorry a little unrelated, but I'm a little tipsy :/

Edited by staresatmaps
  • Like 1