new bike paths around town

11 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Safety improvements at the HHB / Heights Boulevard crossing. 

Also, no picture, but is it time to start talking about widening and use-segregating the HHB? At least west of Yale to the White Oak Bayou trail? (And maybe anywhere else it's possible, e.g. south of White Oak Drive?) It's popular enough that the shared use element feels a bit dangerous.

20230226_085242.jpg

I’ve seen some proposals to make Yale to mkt a promenade — where pedestrians and bikes would have separate areas

• Like 5

8 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

I’ve seen some proposals to make Yale to mkt a promenade — where pedestrians and bikes would have separate areas

I think that'd be great. If they did that, they could also set up stalls for a permanent mercado. Maybe even arcade some of it? 

(I really need to stop proposing things I have no ability to realize.)

• Like 3

It almost seemed slightly harder to cross Heights here (both Sat AM and again at rush hour this afternoon) because cars slowing down cause them to take longer to clear out of the way and then a line of cars can get slightly backed up. I assume the answer will be that cars are supposed to yield? But I do not have enough confidence in that to give that a try anytime soon. I'm sure it will be fine after a transition period though, and otherwise have been loving the biking upgrades, just found it a little funny.

8 hours ago, TXK said:

It almost seemed slightly harder to cross Heights here (both Sat AM and again at rush hour this afternoon) because cars slowing down cause them to take longer to clear out of the way and then a line of cars can get slightly backed up. I assume the answer will be that cars are supposed to yield? But I do not have enough confidence in that to give that a try anytime soon. I'm sure it will be fine after a transition period though, and otherwise have been loving the biking upgrades, just found it a little funny.

One thing I've noticed with the HHB and Nicholson crossings is that most cars yield to cyclists (even though they have the right of way), which often leads to awkwardly or even frustratingly slow interactions.

What really doesn't happen anymore, though, is cars blasting through at speed. I'll call that a win.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 004n063 said:

One thing I've noticed with the HHB and Nicholson crossings is that most cars yield to cyclists (even though they have the right of way)

If I recall, the new signs being installed at these crossings are "STOP for bikes and pedestrians", so technically, they are supposed to yield to cyclists. I can't 100% confirm, but I'm almost certain 11th St has the signs.  I'm going to try to ride it again tomorrow and will check. 

2 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

If I recall, the new signs being installed at these crossings are "STOP for bikes and pedestrians", so technically, they are supposed to yield to cyclists. I can't 100% confirm, but I'm almost certain 11th St has the signs.  I'm going to try to ride it again tomorrow and will check. 

They do have the signs, and there were signs there before that also said to yield to pedestrians.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7906213,-95.4054452,3a,75y,294.18h,88.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxOIo6DQsF0zwYCcdqF4a_A!2e0!5s20191001T000000!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e2?authuser=1

11 hours ago, 004n063 said:

One thing I've noticed with the HHB and Nicholson crossings is that most cars yield to cyclists (even though they have the right of way), which often leads to awkwardly or even frustratingly slow interactions.

What really doesn't happen anymore, though, is cars blasting through at speed. I'll call that a win.

Nicholson has yield signs posted, Heights Blvd does not.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, hindesky said:

I just drove over it on Heights Blvd, you are definitely forced to slow down for it.

Upon leaving Melange Creperie last night I heard a bus hit the new raised crosswalk at speed. The crunch of the suspension as the rear of the bus caught air and then slammed back onto the road was so loud. I imagine that was very unpleasant for any riders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arboosto said:

Upon leaving Melange Creperie last night I heard a bus hit the new raised crosswalk at speed. The crunch of the suspension as the rear of the bus caught air and then slammed back onto the road was so loud. I imagine that was very unpleasant for any riders.

Ever ridden the #25 on Richmond between Hillcroft and Dunvale?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Arboosto said:

there are quite a few metro bus drivers that probably shouldn't be metro bus drivers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arternative said:

Human cow paths should be paved. 🙂 This includes the giant divots truck drivers make on right turns. 

Sharp curbs in retrofitted car lanes adjacent to bike lanes and sidewalks are bad civic planning. 

...I feel like I missed something. What are you referring to?

On 2/28/2023 at 12:49 PM, Justin Welling said:

There have been crosswalks painted for some time (both at 11th/Nicholson and 7th/Heights). That implies "stop for bikes and pedestrians," regardless of other signage, yes?

Edited by sayler

Rode my bike last night and as I was about to hop on the bike lane on Commonwealth, I noticed 3 cars parked right on the lane. I reported all 3 of them but damn how did they not know they were all in a bike lane? I wanted to ride by today to make sure nothing was damaged

Edited by j_cuevas713

6 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Blodgett reconstruction.

Love this bus stop / bike lane integration. Similar to the ones on Polk (but nicer, imo). This should be the new standard.

Is this what's happening on Heights NB, north of 11th?

4 hours ago, sayler said:

Is this what's happening on Heights NB, north of 11th?

Not quite, from what I can tell. It looks like they are using straight cuts like this (funnily enough, several of the other bus stops on Polk use a design more like the one in the picture; to my knowledge those were the first in the city to be designed this way). 

It's a minor difference, but I prefer the ramp-around version to the straight cut. The latter puts cyclist convenience ahead of pedestrian safety (and convenience), and I think that's backward.

The Blodgett wraps in particular force cyclists to slow down to a safe speed before the conflict zone. If there's one place where traffic calming for cyclists is absolutely necessary, it's a bus stop.

22 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Also, here's a couple of progress photos on the two Cullen pathways segments (from Brays and from 45). Both photos are from Wheeler; the first is looking south, while the second is looking north. Connection seems sorta imminent.

20230305_093647.jpg

20230305_093720.jpg

I haven't ridden down that area in a while. I guess the target is to be done before college football?

On 3/6/2023 at 2:15 PM, IWantTransit555 said:

At least Google seems to finally be upgrading Houston streetview.

Also when can we expect to start getting more of this infrastructure outside of the loop?

I think there are a few projects Westchase is trying to get going and there are some new initiatives the city is working on for Gulfton, but honestly it might take a while to see serious change outside the Loop. The city always works from the core outward. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 6:48 PM, Ross said:

I have zero sympathy for the complainers that are mad about destroying a wheel on one of the curbs or islands. They need to pay more attention to their driving. Traffic still flows, but there's almost zero craziness, since the ragers can't fly around other drivers at 20 over the speed limit.

Still more than zero craziness.   I'll go out on a limb and guess this driver was drunk!  His car didn't fare too well... White Oak and Michaux. 

20230320_151659.jpg.2e77a6988eda86ff4d735c31e137c010.jpg20230320_151743.jpg.204f6be8bccbe0e220ca20c8990def42.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, 004n063 said:

Safety improvements at the HHB / Heights Boulevard crossing. 

Also, no picture, but is it time to start talking about widening and use-segregating the HHB? At least west of Yale to the White Oak Bayou trail? (And maybe anywhere else it's possible, e.g. south of White Oak Drive?) It's popular enough that the shared use element feels a bit dangerous.

20230226_085242.jpg

I drove over this on Sunday, this needs to be the model for Houston at every intersection that is intended to be high pedestrian use.

I'd even go so far as to say that the city needs to get rid of the random road bumps in residential areas and put these at every pedestrian street crossing in residential areas.

it's simply terrific to slow down drivers when they need to be slower.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, samagon said:

I drove over this on Sunday, this needs to be the model for Houston at every intersection that is intended to be high pedestrian use.

I'd even go so far as to say that the city needs to get rid of the random road bumps in residential areas and put these at every pedestrian street crossing in residential areas.

it's simply terrific to slow down drivers when they need to be slower.

I think if you don't have a stop sign, there should be some kind of physical traffic calming present.

I also think that if you do have a stop sign, there should be some kind of physical traffic calming present.

• Like 4