new bike paths around town

• 1 month later...

A few days ago, Chronicle posted an article about a new bike trail planned in Sharpstown. Here is the link: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/sharpstown-centerpoint-trail-easement-brays-bayou-18684891.php

The project will be 1.8 miles of new trail along the current center point easement. The agencies involved appear to be TIRZ 20, Southwest Management District, and Harris County Precinct 4 Commissioner Lesley Briones’ office. Proposed budget will be around $3.1 million. 

Proposed map showing the crossing improvements too: image.png.3399e0cab005b04476ff9aff5ee63e03.png

• Like 4

So this is where the trial is supposed to be north of Sands Point (that would eventually connect the Westpark Trail). This issue is also prevalent South of Beechnut (that is supposed to connect to the bayou trail). Is this something that can be fixed? Are  those companies just "borrowing" the area under CenterPoint or is it bought out? Can anyone provide any clarity? 

ScreenShot2024-03-03at10_16_10AM.png.8feb4b54a8564fa15ae23d8f405c1b9c.png

ScreenShot2024-03-03at10_53_52AM.png.4780562c730eced0b264adbf4fca5cb8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news! Houston 311 website (linked here: Home  · Customer Self-Service (powerappsportals.us)) finally has a bike lane maintenance tab!!! Previously, you would have to submit to "other" or "pavement markings" (depending on the issue) and public works would transfer it to bike lane maintenance. Now, any issues with bike lanes that you see can be placed under this tab. 

How to reach it: 

Step 1 - Click on Report a Problem

Step 2 - Click on "Streets - Bridges - Drainage"

Step 3 - Click on "Bike Lane Maintenance"

Step 4 - Select the issue with the bike lane: debris removal, bike lane pothole, damaged bike lane barrier

Step 5 - fill out the address and click the link provided to submit your request

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Seems like an interesting location for a bike/ pedestrian path, this route is all warehouses on one side and a huge freeway on the other. Nonetheless, better than nothing. Really wish they would start on the bike/ pedestrian routes under the utility towers/ along the trains, that could really connect the entire city by bike/ walkways without going after the car centric people. Also, seems like the safest and least disruptive option. 

image.png.c504a7b28409f85bec6c09f9107a49a4.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If the description is accurate, that's nothing new.

It's the latest segment of TxDOT's revamp of Hempstead Highway from W. 12th Street to the Washington Avenue-Old Katy Road fork. Part of the project entails widening the railroad underpass surface area, making it possible to construct shared-use paths underneath. 

You may recall it's been in the news lately, with businesses claiming work hadn't occurred in months or something to that effect. The stall caused customers to make multi-point turns for access, they claimed, leading to lost sales.

image.png.95bd610824d78abfd29c20e7657671a3.png

I attended the Hempstead project's public hearings many years ago out of interest. For the East End, where train-roadway interactions are a fact of life, I was jealous.

Supports vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists in an underpass form rather than an overpass, and the decline grade is such that five blocks of cross streets aren't cut off. Of the East End's separations, only one has all of those attributes.

Ironically, it's the aging Polk underpass that TxDOT, CoH claim won't be replicated. Its drop starts after Milby and is back up by St. Joseph. Supports motor vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians. 

The others either support only cars and sidewalks or, in the case of the Navigation underpass, only cars. Others are overpasses spanning many blocks or, in the case of the Harrisburg underpass, cut off five blocks of streets as the drop is more gradual. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry if I'm asking an inappropriate question or maybe there is a topic on my inquiry. I happened to be looking at a satellite map of west Houston around Beltway 8 and I -10. I noticed that just east of Wilcrest Drive actually one block east of Wycliffe it appears there is an old right of way. It runs south from I-10 all the way to Terry Hershey trail, and then on across Buffalo Bayou and farther south. It also goes north from I -10 to Jersey Village. It appears to have some construction on the south side . I don't know how old this satellite image is, and whether this has already become a bike trail but it sure looks like it should be with some possibly great connectivity to Brays Bayou on the South end. I'm sorry if I'm way behind and unknowledgeable about this, but it sure seems like it should be. Can some one direct me to the topic or at least fill me in on this possible connector. I live on the Brays bike trail near U of H so just don't know much about that side of town, as far as bike trails go. I did grow up just off Gessner at Spring Woods in the fifties and used to ride our bikes out to addickes and Barker spillways when we were kids. There was no-one out there in the fifties. Thanks

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I'm sorry if I'm asking an inappropriate question or maybe there is a topic on my inquiry. I happened to be looking at a satellite map of west Houston around Beltway 8 and I -10. I noticed that just east of Wilcrest Drive actually one block east of Wycliffe it appears there is an old right of way. It runs south from I-10 all the way to Terry Hershey trail, and then on across Buffalo Bayou and farther south. It also goes north from I -10 to Jersey Village. It appears to have some construction on the south side . I don't know how old this satellite image is, and whether this has already become a bike trail but it sure looks like it should be with some possibly great connectivity to Brays Bayou on the South end. I'm sorry if I'm way behind and unknowledgeable about this, but it sure seems like it should be. Can some one direct me to the topic or at least fill me in on this possible connector. I live on the Brays bike trail near U of H so just don't know much about that side of town, as far as bike trails go. I did grow up just off Gessner at Spring Woods in the fifties and used to ride our bikes out to addickes and Barker spillways when we were kids. There was no-one out there in the fifties. Thanks

That's a power line right of way

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7659128,-95.5737066,3a,75y,22.69h,79.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_LDS2I5VnzVqQvFObI5Nyg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D_LDS2I5VnzVqQvFObI5Nyg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.share%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26yaw%3D22.68560939787306%26pitch%3D10.136150758024456%26thumbfov%3D90!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7813431,-95.5735978,3a,75y,346.05h,86.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZL1jLpJtAg5W_vBYpHIvPA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DZL1jLpJtAg5W_vBYpHIvPA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.share%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26yaw%3D346.05142843060867%26pitch%3D3.8566093125873238%26thumbfov%3D90!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So as Ross said, and I figured that's what it was. So is there any way that they would allow bike trails in that right of way or because of the nature of it being a power line too much of a hazard to permit bike usage. It seems like a waste. It would be nice if they could create a fenced corridor to keep trespassers away from the lines but allow for passage. I know it wouldn't make for a very pretty ride but it would definitely tie different areas together. Just a thought.

16 minutes ago, bobruss said:

So as Ross said, and I figured that's what it was. So is there any way that they would allow bike trails in that right of way or because of the nature of it being a power line too much of a hazard to permit bike usage. It seems like a waste. It would be nice if they could create a fenced corridor to keep trespassers away from the lines but allow for passage. I know it wouldn't make for a very pretty ride but it would definitely tie different areas together. Just a thought.

The Legislature passed a law in 2013 that was signed by Rick Perry to limit power company liability  for injuries on trails and such along power line easements:

The bill, which applies only to Harris County, would make CenterPoint liable only for a serious injury or death caused by its "willful or wanton acts or gross negligence." It also would grant the utility expedited appeals and enable it to require partner governments to provide insurance to cover its litigation costs. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/bill-moves-ambitious-bike-trails-plan-closer-to-4484681.php

We will hopeful see more trails along the power easements

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 4:01 PM, Ross said:

The Legislature passed a law in 2013 that was signed by Rick Perry to limit power company liability  for injuries on trails and such along power line easements:

The bill, which applies only to Harris County, would make CenterPoint liable only for a serious injury or death caused by its "willful or wanton acts or gross negligence." It also would grant the utility expedited appeals and enable it to require partner governments to provide insurance to cover its litigation costs. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/bill-moves-ambitious-bike-trails-plan-closer-to-4484681.php

We will hopeful see more trails along the power easements

thanks for doing the leg work, I was going to say I seem to recall something from about a decade ago now that made using these easements for specific types of recreational use very easy.

The Sharpstown trail is in the works and had a groundbreaking this year. The Spring Branch trail finished Phase 1 from Blalock to Wirt Rd. Phase 2 is supposed to be complete by the end of the year. I'm not sure if there will be delays due to the hurricane.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3