new bike paths around town

On 2/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, wilcal said:

Two things:

A list of the in design or under construction bikeways in the area as of Jan. 27.

This was put together by city planner Melissa who runs the Bicycle Advisory Committee.

52.3 miles is pretty impressive. There is a link to a map at the bottom of the page, but I don't think that the map has all of it on there. 

Additionally, I was complaining on Twitter about how slow my 311 ticket response time has been on tickets where I have submitted cars parking in bike lanes, and KPRC reached out to me and we did an in-person interview on Polk St near Navarro MS where I pretty regularly experience residents parking in the older bike lanes. The CoH's acceptable turnaround time on these tickets is currently 28 days lol. I was mad it has been taking a week!

KPRC reached out to ParkHouston to ask about how many tickets/citations they've written since the ordinance was changed in October and they've issued a total of 1 ticket and 14 warnings. The piece will be on tv on 2/16 👍

really good news.

odd that Leeland has a recently completed bike path from Valesco to Cullen, and that the short term plans include a path from just past Brays Bayou to Telephone on Lawndale, but there's no current plan to have a path on Telephone/Leeland from Cullen to Lawndale.

the Houston bike plan map also seems to not have a bike path planned for Lawndale (even though it's on that list). I also feel like at one point there was a plan to have a path on Telephone, but it's not on the map any longer.

5 hours ago, samagon said:

really good news.

odd that Leeland has a recently completed bike path from Valesco to Cullen, and that the short term plans include a path from just past Brays Bayou to Telephone on Lawndale, but there's no current plan to have a path on Telephone/Leeland from Cullen to Lawndale.

the Houston bike plan map also seems to not have a bike path planned for Lawndale (even though it's on that list). I also feel like at one point there was a plan to have a path on Telephone, but it's not on the map any longer.

Looking at the bike plan map I found at least four missing segments of off-street bike paths just in the Westchase/Energy Corridor area.  These are segments I ride on a regular basis since they're near me and have been in place for at least a few years now.  From that I'd guess this map is either old and/or poorly maintained.

Edit:  make that five...half of the Fiorenza Park trail is missing. 

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 12:24 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I emailed the BAC yesterday about the issues on W Cavalcade, Houston Ave, and Polk St. They responded pretty fast. So hopefully these issues get resolved asap. I think continued community input puts more pressure on the city because they realize this isn't just for show anymore. People want bike lanes. 

I'm going to echo j_cuevas here and to say PLEASE email the city about this. 

The email address is bikeways@houstontx.gov and honestly, they can be pretty hard hit for public comment. This is something they are talking about right now, so just a quick word would be great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

They talked about bike lane maintenance today in the BAC Infrastructure meeting. I know we discussed it somewhere but I can't find it and didn't think it needed its own thread.

TLDR: Street-sweepers need a 10' lane, so anything that isn't is SOL until some community partners or local residents step up. 

LBZMgkC.png

APwESoy.png

Recommendations (this is a draft report. Final report is coming soon):

zGePzXI.png

ZhqmLYY.png

• Like 1

mgWTPre.jpg

Here’s my recommendation: The MadVac LS175. Done. Sweep and move on. Oh wait this is Houston we are talking about? Nevermind. Dang look at those curbs and sidewalks in that pic. And pristine asphalt. I haven’t had my post-work alcohol tonight....my cynicism is coming out. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wilcal said:

It is unclear to me, but it sounds like we contract out our street sweeping? And basically they are going to need to add them when it is  time to be re-bid. 

I'm certain sweepers wouldn't even be able to properly function on most of our streets since the surface and curbs resemble moon craters.

I've seen large CoH sweepers with the city logo driving (not sweeping) around town throughout the years; I've never witnessed any making routine rounds anywhere. It's definitely unclear what they are used for. A city council member's office once told me that the city routinely swept major roads, however for that to be true, there would not be sandbars from 1945 on our streets. Freeways are definitely swept frequently but that's about it from all I know. Some of the management districts contract it out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

I'm certain sweepers wouldn't even be able to properly function on most of our streets since the surface and curbs resemble moon craters.

I've seen large CoH sweepers with the city logo driving (not sweeping) around town throughout the years; I've never witnessed any making routine rounds anywhere. It's definitely unclear what they are used for. A city council member's office once told me that the city routinely swept major roads, however for that to be true, there would not be sandbars from 1945 on our streets. Freeways are definitely swept frequently but that's about it from all I know. Some of the management districts contract it out.

I believe that they mentioned during the meetings that every street should be swept once a quarter. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little heads up from the District C office: 

The Montrose Redevelopment Authority will hold a public meeting on March 31regarding the Waugh/Yoakum/Commonwealth Project, which is about to begin construction. This meeting is meant to offer information regarding the project as well as receive any questions and comments the community may have. The project will start at West Dallas Street and focus on walkability/biking, pedestrian safety, and overall street quality. Council Member Kamin is proud to partner on this project by contributing funds for sidewalks. To register, visit: https://montrosehtx.org/calevents/pre-construction-meeting-waugh-commonwealth-project/  
  • Like 4

REALLY excited about this. Finally Waugh is getting some much needed attention. I love that this extends all the way to West Alabama. Now if West Alabama can get rebuilt you’ll have some serious walkability with S. Shepherd about to kick off as well. Lower Westheimer is the missing link along with Richmond which will become BRT at some point. My only complaint is the section from W Dallas to BBP won’t get these upgrades. Anyone know why?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

REALLY excited about this. Finally Waugh is getting some much needed attention. I love that this extends all the way to West Alabama. Now if West Alabama can get rebuilt you’ll have some serious walkability with S. Shepherd about to kick off as well. Lower Westheimer is the missing link along with Richmond which will become BRT at some point. My only complaint is the section from W Dallas to BBP won’t get these upgrades. Anyone know why?

Me too! Regarding the last mile stretch: for one, that stretch of Waugh is not within our fragmented TIRZ boundaries. It's surrounded by TIRZ 3 (Downtown), 5 (Memorial Heights), and 27 (Montrose). TIRZ 27 is overseeing this big project and TIRZ 5 is about to construct the W. Dallas lanes from Waugh to Dunlavy. One of these three needs to expand their boundary. Alternatively the city could oversee an extension.................but I'd almost prefer a TIRZ do it based on outcomes I've seen in other parts of town. It's frustrating for sure but, hey, at least something is happening.

On a similar note, I'm also curious about the "third-party" improvements to Waugh listed on the "Build Houston Forward" (rebuild houston) map. Last year I noticed this project pop up. I'm assuming this may be improvements done by the Buffalo Heights developer---but it's unclear. I've yet to ask the city.

"Replace asphalt and concrete pavement sections and base material depending the street condition, including repalcement of damaged curbs, sidewalks, and storm inlets as necessary along the major roadway within the limits of the project. New pavement markings will be implemented at various levels depending on the extent of roadway surface rehabilitation.
Project Type: Major Rehab
Limits: Waughford to Feagan
District:H
Ancitipated Construction Date:
FY2021
Please note "Anticipated Construction Date" may change for various reasons
Funding:100% funded from Third Party Sources"
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

Me too! Regarding the last mile stretch: for one, that stretch of Waugh is not within our fragmented TIRZ boundaries. It's surrounded by TIRZ 3 (Downtown), 5 (Memorial Heights), and 27 (Montrose). TIRZ 27 is overseeing this big project and TIRZ 5 is about to construct the W. Dallas lanes from Waugh to Dunlavy. One of these three needs to expand their boundary. Alternatively the city could oversee an extension.................but I'd almost prefer a TIRZ do it based on outcomes I've seen in other parts of town. It's frustrating for sure but, hey, at least something is happening.

On a similar note, I'm also curious about the "third-party" improvements to Waugh listed on the "Build Houston Forward" (rebuild houston) map. Last year I noticed this project pop up. I'm assuming this may be improvements done by the Buffalo Heights developer---but it's unclear. I've yet to ask the city.

"Replace asphalt and concrete pavement sections and base material depending the street condition, including repalcement of damaged curbs, sidewalks, and storm inlets as necessary along the major roadway within the limits of the project. New pavement markings will be implemented at various levels depending on the extent of roadway surface rehabilitation.
Project Type: Major Rehab
Limits: Waughford to Feagan
District:H
Ancitipated Construction Date:
FY2021
Please note "Anticipated Construction Date" may change for various reasons
Funding:100% funded from Third Party Sources"

Great info! 

Details presented at the TIRZ 27 meeting confirmed that one travel lane in each direction will be removed from Waugh between W. Dallas and W. Gray. Also, 6' bike lanes on Waugh; 5' on Commonwealth; both with a 2' buffer. Parking will remain on Commonwealth w/ narrower, 10' vehicle lanes. Construction setup starts next week and will last 6 months. Also some minor curb/sidewalk/ramp improvements will be made on Montrose between Fairview and Westheimer and at Montrose and Westheimer as a stop-gap until that all is redone. Vague commentary by the Board essentially confirms that the Waugh/Allen/Memorial gap in the bike system is targeted by another TIRZ or City....my guess is it's all part of a bigger plan to redo that whole clover mess and lane reduction/redo on S. Heights/Waugh from Washington to W. Dallas.

• Like 8

On 4/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, skooljunkie said:

..my guess is it's all part of a bigger plan to redo that whole clover mess and lane reduction/redo on S. Heights/Waugh from Washington to W. Dallas.

There were some renderings released at some point, but someone at the city told me that it was a 9 figure project that would be way in the future. 

I'm guessing that they are trying to come up with a bandaid. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:24 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I emailed the BAC yesterday about the issues on W Cavalcade, Houston Ave, and Polk St. They responded pretty fast. So hopefully these issues get resolved asap. I think continued community input puts more pressure on the city because they realize this isn't just for show anymore. People want bike lanes. 

I saw city workers with shovels, brooms and leaf blowers finally cleaning the bike lanes on Houston Ave bridge over I-10 last week.  Only took them 3 months since the wave of 311 calls and emails to the BAC.  Hope they have some sort of regular maintenance plan going forward.  If it takes 3 months to clean a bike lane, I'm scared to guess how long it will take to reopen the fire-damaged MKT bridge over White Oak Bayou...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrainTrak said:

I saw city workers with shovels, brooms and leaf blowers finally cleaning the bike lanes on Houston Ave bridge over I-10 last week.  Only took them 3 months since the wave of 311 calls and emails to the BAC.  Hope they have some sort of regular maintenance plan going forward.  If it takes 3 months to clean a bike lane, I'm scared to guess how long it will take to reopen the fire-damaged MKT bridge over White Oak Bayou...

The last thing I heard from the bike committee is they weren't sure if the city or county was responsible for the bike lanes. I'm always blown away at how disconnected our city seems to be with things. I remember filing a request to add a light on 20th where the bike trail crosses because drivers were speeding through. I get a call from a lady who only looks at the crash reports and she told me they wouldn't be able to do that. I asked why and she said her job is only to look at the crash reports, that adding a light was out of her control. I asked who was in charge of that and she didn't know. Go figure.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I wanted to give an update on this post about bike lane maintenance. I had the great opportunity to talk with a guy by the name of Bryan who works for the Planning Commission and is also helping the Bike Committee figure out the most effective and efficient way to maintain the bike lanes. He told me that 311 is updating the app to provide a separate section just for bike lane requests. It should be finished by the end of the year. He also talked about the city and neighborhood sharing the responsibility. This would involve sweeping the lanes on a regular basis and any repairs to armadillos, etc. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, pokemonizepic said:

city is discussing to have temporary (and later on hopefully permanent) protected bike lanes that serve as a detour for the current construction going on at white oak bayou

The guy that is talking in the beginning is the one I spoke with a while back about lane maintenance. He’s originally from Detroit and helped with the planning there. One thing I would like to see are two way lanes northbound and southbound. It’s already hard enough as a cyclist trying to get by cars. So having to navigate from one side of the street to the other across that many lanes of traffic just to get to a bike lane can be a bit challenging. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, skooljunkie said:

Hopefully the repairs are made in time for the next flood! 🌊

You can see the other slab of concrete already is being washed out from underneath. I know they haven't done it for budgetary purposes but they need to add a wall/bank along the Bayou there.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I live in district J near uptown and let me tell you...... he has not done a single thing for the area. Whats ironic is that his "issues" listed on his website is to "update bike trails" and "beautification of trails and bike lanes." The homeless situation is a lot worse, the streets are in horrible condition, absolutely 0% increase in the 0% bike lanes we have in the area. Multiple residents have sent him emails about multiple inquiries getting vague responses or no response at all. Im tired of these politicians contradicting themselves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

I live in district J near uptown and let me tell you...... he has not done a single thing for the area. Whats ironic is that his "issues" listed on his website is to "update bike trails" and "beautification of trails and bike lanes." The homeless situation is a lot worse, the streets are in horrible condition, absolutely 0% increase in the 0% bike lanes we have in the area. Multiple residents have sent him emails about multiple inquiries getting vague responses or no response at all. Im tired of these politicians contradicting themselves. 

Well idk if this means anything but I simply commented on his page, "Prioritize people over cars" and I was blocked. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Well idk if this means anything but I simply commented on his page, "Prioritize people over cars" and I was blocked. 

You are a heretic! Burn the witch!🤣 You should see the comments on the Heights area Nextdoor pages when people mention something about cars need to slow down and make room for bikes. Things like "Bikes need to stay off of 11th, there are plenty of side streets", and it goes downhill from there.

• Haha 2