Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

"Museo Institute" doesn’t turn up anything as a search term on map apps yet.  The old Mann Eye Center block across the street, at 5115 Main, though, is roped off.

Maybe it’s vacated and to be prepped for demolition for the next phase already?

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen this building at night?? I know not everyone is a fan of this building, but wow this building has some really nice LED lighting. I would say probably say the nicest LED lighting in all of Houston, it has a dramatic presence in our skyline. I couldn't get a picture since I was on the highway. 

• Like 5

One of the things I've enjoyed seeing in Chinese cities is how many of their modern highrises and skyscrapers are outlined and lit by colored LED lighting like this. It really makes the cities look more vibrant and exciting at night. I'd love to see it catch on in the United States. At night, so many of our buildings are just formless, lifeless blocks. Sadly, the most exciting illuminated features are often the dim aircraft warning lights.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, aachor said:

One of the things I've enjoyed seeing in Chinese cities is how many of their modern highrises and skyscrapers are outlined and lit by colored LED lighting like this. It really makes the cities look more vibrant and exciting at night. I'd love to see it catch on in the United States. At night, so many of our buildings are just formless, lifeless blocks. Sadly, the most exciting illuminated features are often the dim aircraft warning lights.

Light Pollution isn't that cool. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I don’t have a great shot of the lights (they’ve been installed over the last couple weeks) but got these. You can see the green and blue glow reflecting off the Southmore.

Vj5msgx.jpg

Edit: third photo with the green light. I’ve yet to get a good shot with all lights installed. Also, you can see Venus and Jupiter above the Southmore in the first shot.

I didn't think it was possible, but they managed to make this building look even more tacky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Not to veer too far off topic, but...

Something about it to me gives off a vibe that it escaped from the Memorial City skyline.

Not sure if it's the angles or the lighting. Or Both. It just feels like it would "look" more at home there.

Might be a non-conformist since it has multiple lights on one building, and only the Memorial Hermann Tower tends to do that over there.  Nothing wrong with a bit of a rebel streak though.

I appreciate that most of the buildings in that area have some lighting on the roof, but my problem is it generally tends to be the SAME color, regardless of what's happening. It's always kind of messed with my eyes when I'm driving that way at night. 

It's actually kind of hard to find photos of what I'm talking about, but I found this in a story on the passing of Queen Elizabeth from last year.

vlcsnap-2022-09-19-06h03m46s167.jpg?ve=1

vlcsnap-2022-09-19-06h03m38s92.jpg?ve=1&

vlcsnap-2022-09-19-06h03m55s251.jpg?ve=1

And these renderings of The McKinley incorporated them as well.

Facing_SW.jpg?1613164275

Facing_SE.jpg?1613164273

Spot on. The MetroNationalization of the Museum District.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:01 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Light Pollution isn't that cool. 

The impact of a few LED strips is minimal compared to the dozens of square miles of parking lots with unoptimized high-intensity LED lights. If you want to fight light pollution, ensuring that your parking and road lighting isn't also illuminating the moon is a good start. 

However, I think that aggressively fighting light pollution in an urban core is a fool's game. I think the better strategy is to, on a statewide level, champion and promote dark sky preserves and accept that a city has a land use type that is distinct from the Davis Mountains of West Texas. Fortunately for us, the earth's curvature makes isolating light pollution, on a large scale, easier than controlling it at the heart of the nation's fourth largest city.

• Like 5

Why can't some people just accept that this world has tradeoffs and to just let that be?

If Memorial City wants to brand themselves as the blue-light district, cool. If you don't like it, don't go there? I instead vote for light wars. Lets do it. Paint the city with different LED lights. Blue light district, Green light district, Red....ish light district (that would be funny). I say have fun. Then on the weekend get out of the concrete coffin and take a short drive into the country and see the best lightshow on earth, the stars. There you go, you have your two cakes. Eat both.

11 hours ago, aachor said:

The impact of a few LED strips is minimal compared to the dozens of square miles of parking lots with unoptimized high-intensity LED lights. If you want to fight light pollution, ensuring that your parking and road lighting isn't also illuminating the moon is a good start. 

However, I think that aggressively fighting light pollution in an urban core is a fool's game. I think the better strategy is to, on a statewide level, champion and promote dark sky preserves and accept that a city has a land use type that is distinct from the Davis Mountains of West Texas. Fortunately for us, the earth's curvature makes isolating light pollution, on a large scale, easier than controlling it at the heart of the nation's fourth largest city.

Lighting at night has historically been about security. That is what lighting at night is for, period. We are so used to a world where cities are lit up at night that we have forgotten that original purpose. Its just a meme at this point with its original meaning lost to history. The side that pushes for controlling light pollution makes way to many assumptions based from a comfortable position and from a position of luxury in a world where lighting in cities has kept them safe. Its not only a fool's game fighting light pollution in an urban core, but its foolish to even propose turning off lights in cities in general. Cities of all shapes and size in every part of the world have been lit by fire then electricity, forever. Light pollution is a "thing" in that where you try to solve one problem you get another.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Lighting at night has historically been about security. That is what lighting at night is for, period. We are so used to a world where cities are lit up at night that we have forgotten that original purpose. Its just a meme at this point with its original meaning lost to history. The side that pushes for controlling light pollution makes way to many assumptions based from a comfortable position and from a position of luxury in a world where lighting in cities has kept them safe. Its not only a fool's game fighting light pollution in an urban core, but its foolish to even propose turning off lights in cities in general. Cities of all shapes and size in every part of the world have been lit by fire then electricity, forever. Light pollution is a "thing" in that where you try to solve one problem you get another.

The ultra-bright parking lot lights don’t really enhance security. An intruder could easily get lost in the glare (try seeing someone when staring at headlights). I miss the orange-glow of old-school sodium vapor lights and wouldn’t mind a return to that spectrum, which is friendlier toward night visions.

Otherwise, as HAIF well knows, I love those LIGHT-UP FEATURES!!!!

(the all-caps said in the voice of the astronaut screaming “SPACESHIP!!” in the “Lego Movie”)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

The ultra-bright parking lot lights don’t really enhance security. An intruder could easily get lost in the glare (try seeing someone when staring at headlights). I miss the orange-glow of old-school sodium vapor lights and wouldn’t mind a return to that spectrum, which is friendlier toward night visions.

Otherwise, as HAIF well knows, I love those LIGHT-UP FEATURES!!!!

(the all-caps said in the voice of the astronaut screaming “SPACESHIP!!” in the “Lego Movie”)

No, they do. That sounds like an opinion, and its one that I agree with, but actually the brighter the better in relation to security especially in tandem with CCTV.

Yes the old filament spectrums of orange and yellows are way better in terms of mood, and feel...well how should I put this its almost like it reminds of us of flames and fire with its warm glow. Its strange its almost like that's been a human constant that we just naturally prefer, and not sterile white light. Funny how that works. I really like LEDs though because they are so flexible, and can be put into anything. I have my computer at home that has blue LED's and especially at night gives off a cool vibe especially up here in Utah on a snowy night. Can't beat that.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

^^^ i was always wondering just where on earth, did the MANN EYE CLINIC acquire sooooooooooooo MUCH MONEY to plan and construct such an ambitious/stunning development?  i guess my thoughts and concerns were hereby warranted after all...

• Like 3