Museo Institute For The Medical Arts In The Museum District

Urbannizer

1 hour ago, Bassclef said:

I’m surprised you thought this would happen. Houston doesn’t build buildings this tall anymore. I knew it wasn’t going to happen when buzz about this came out.

With employers letting employees work from home, there will be less demand for office space. 

☹️

9 hours ago, Bassclef said:

I’m surprised you thought this would happen. Houston doesn’t build buildings this tall anymore. I knew it wasn’t going to happen when buzz about this came out.

^^^ i constantly find it amazing that the MAGNIFICENT and GORGEOUS city of austin, tx, seem to harbor no issues with going FULL THROTTLE with the height of it's new developments.  people are already stating that austin, tx, could become the next miami...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bassclef said:

Agreed, there was no way this was ever happening (not at that height anyway). There hasn’t been a 50 story tower built in Houston in 35 years. All three recent Hines high rises downtown have been in the 46-49 range, not sure why that is seemingly the limit? I thought I read something about elevators being much more of a challenge above 50 floors, but not sure if that’s true or not. It pains me to be in the same boat as Monarch, but Austin sure doesn’t seem to have any trouble building them. I guess they are way behind when it comes to supply, and I know it’s not all about height, but it sure would be nice to get at least one 50+ story tower built in Houston in my lifetime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, asubrt said:

Agreed, there was no way this was ever happening (not at that height anyway). There hasn’t been a 50 story tower built in Houston in 35 years. All three recent Hines high rises downtown have been in the 46-49 range, not sure why that is seemingly the limit? I thought I read something about elevators being much more of a challenge above 50 floors, but not sure if that’s true or not. It pains me to be in the same boat as Monarch, but Austin sure doesn’t seem to have any trouble building them. I guess they are way behind when it comes to supply, and I know it’s not all about height, but it sure would be nice to get at least one 50+ story tower built in Houston in my lifetime. 

zapwalls-decals-no-pain-no-gain-72690697

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hindesky said:

The 58 story building was going to be apartments not offices. His old Mann Eye Clinic building is/was to become more medical offices.

Well we officially have zero apartment/residential towers over 50 floors, so I think the point still holds. Of course I wanted it to get built, just wasn’t holding my breath. 

On 4/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, monarch said:

^^^ i was always wondering just where on earth, did the MANN EYE CLINIC acquire sooooooooooooo MUCH MONEY to plan and construct such an ambitious/stunning development?  i guess my thoughts and concerns were hereby warranted after all...

I don't doubt that an ophthalmic surgery chain owner may have enough money in their investment portfolio to self-finance it as a passion project in the city that they love, even if half of the multifamily rental floors were initially left as dried-in core and shell to be fully finished out and furnished later a few floors at a time.  Still sunk cost, yes, but lower cost, and further phaseable.  
But passion projects' opportunity costs hit different when you have opportunities to leave that "investment" by the wayside and have the portfolio stay in higher return, lower risk projects elsewhere.  Silver lining:  Mann can, loving Houston, find all sorts of passion projects to invest in here that are both more transformative and better proved up (compared to a skyscraper) demandwise... just have him talk to Stephen Fox, or Mattress Mack, or George Foreman, or Angela Blanchard, or HAIF!

Edited by strickn
Opthalmic, schmopthalmic...
  • Like 1

Hard to compare Austin and Houston. They are getting a ton of tech money and jobs pumped into the city. The downtown district is vibrant with Rainey St, 6th, all the concert venues, UT, Town Lake, ect. Houston isn't Austin or Dallas and shouldn't expect to build like them.

51 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Hard to compare Austin and Houston. They are getting a ton of tech money and jobs pumped into the city. The downtown district is vibrant with Rainey St, 6th, all the concert venues, UT, Town Lake, ect. Houston isn't Austin or Dallas and shouldn't expect to build like them.

Houston is doing what it needs to do, densifying. Austin has a limited area for high-rises which drives up slim towers with more floors. We have the entirety of land between the Brazos & Trinity to build.

Would have been cool to have a 700ft tower here, yes. Based on the current outcome of the medical building, very happy they're not creating more garbage.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, thatguysly said:

Not sure why Dallas got thrown in there.  Houston is building taller and better than Dallas.

4 hours ago, thatguysly said:

If the entirety of downtown could be like deep ellum, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, no, I would not want to be like Uptown or Historic Downtown Dallas. Austin is the outlier, the inner city Dallas and Houston are more alike than either are akin to Austin. 

Rando thing about Dallas, as someone who lived there for a while, my litmus test for "do you know Dallas" is when I tell someone from DFW that I loved the homes on the M streets and would think about moving there. If they are from the city, you get "oh they are so cute, quaint, etc" but if they are from Bedford/Southlake/Frisco/Plano etc you get "yeah I don't love to party that much" as if its a townhome in Midtown Houston next to a bar, hahaha

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 3

2560px-Texas_Longhorns_logo.svg.png

^^^ as a PROUD HOUSTONIAN, i couldn't more happier with the PROFOUND SUCCESS of AUSTIN, TX.  who on earth, could have imagined that our cute little burnt orange hill country HOME of the TEXAS LONGHORNS, is suddenly becoming a BONA FIDE CERTIFIED MEGALODON?  HOOK'EM BABY!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Museo Plaza: Mixed-Use Development In The Museum District

586294223796e30ac446872f.png

^^^ my gosh, are you kidding me?  this place went from... THE MANN EYE CLINIC, to the now... "MUSEO INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL ARTS"?  i mean, what next... THE GALLERIA DE MUSEO DE INSTITUTE DE BELLISSIMO DE MAGNIFICO MEDICAL ARTS?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I wouldn’t mind seeing Dr. Mann at least retain the tract with the old clinic to build the hotel component (always intended to be similar in scale to the MOB) based on how this turned out. The 58-story version of the Habitable Sculpture was always a longshot, but I think a hotel could be supported across the street from the MOB. It’s just down the street from the museums.

• Like 4

Contrary to everyone else, there's something that really attracts me to this building 😂. It's very different, abstract, unique. I know its not aesthetically pleasing to most people on this forum, but I kind of love it. The green stone and the contrasting materials, the contrasting colors, the interesting shape of the building, even the landscape is interesting. The name with that specific font is the cherry on top for me. Its all very eerie and illuminati-esque, as corny as it sounds, it makes you feel SOMETHING when looking at the building, instead of looking at a same style building that we've seen before. Its art IMO 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Contrary to everyone else, there's something that really attracts me to this building 😂. It's very different, abstract, unique. I know its not aesthetically pleasing to most people on this forum, but I kind of love it. The green stone and the contrasting materials, the contrasting colors, the interesting shape of the building, even the landscape is interesting. The name with that specific font is the cherry on top for me. Its all very eerie and illuminati-esque, as corny as it sounds, it makes you feel SOMETHING when looking at the building, instead of looking at a same style building that we've seen before. Its art IMO 🤷‍♂️

I’ve also come to really like it. It just has a sense of whimsy about it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...