Texas Tower: Office Skyscraper At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Funny that you mention Australia. Burger King lost a trademark suit against a small retailer and is known as Hungry Jack's there. But to your point, companies with names of people, cities, or other "public domain" words in their names have an extremely difficult time defending trademark rights.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Luminare said:

This building has been getting some nice coverage courtesy of Fox during the World Series. Talk about great scheduling when your point of substantial completion is during coverage of the World Series. Almost like they planned it.

Some of those shots of downtown on FOX are awesome! 

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This picture made my day. I have not generally liked this building so far, as I fear the march of glass and concrete into the Historic District. But at ground level, this is pivotal for downtown Houston. We have not, since before World War II, seen a Class A office building that devoted such attention to the ground level, sidewalk experience. Texas Commerce Tower had ground floor retail as a nod to Main Street, but it was in the parking garage building. BG Group Place turned a cold shoulder to Main. 609 Main has ground floor retail but it's sort of an afterthought architecturally; the emphasis is increasing but it's not really there yet. But this building (1) sharply differentiates the first two floors from the rest of the building, (2) puts the retail on the best street frontage, Texas Avenue, (3) makes the office entrance secondary to the retail - a total revolution for downtown, and (4) adds a canopy as a significant architectural component, in the tradition of the Rice Hotel, acknowledging the climate and the needs of pedestrians, i.e., people who are not necessarily tenants of the building (!). I mean, you literally have to go back to the days of the Gulf Building, 1929, to see this kind of recognition of the street and the public domain in a Houston office building. Obviously the Houston Center reno gives similar attention, but that's a renovation. This is the most premium product from the most premium developer in Houston. A century has gone by and the circle is complete; an era has finally ended, a new one has begun.

How in the world was this allowed to happen? I still don’t understand it. 

46 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

How in the world was this allowed to happen? I still don’t understand it. 

Well, there's no design review or zoning so up to the developer and possibly the tenant. I think Hines made it optional for the tenant to open to the exterior and Frost Bank didn't want to. Hines did envision that building as an attempt to revitalize central downtown, but it was more like, "We shall grace them with the presence of our expensive building" rather than really embracing the place architecturally. They saved the Stowers Building, though, and put a nice lobby on Rusk, so baby steps. The urban renaissance hadn't happened in Houston at that point, although people on here were trying to awaken understanding and the city and Metro were doing all they could with things like the Main Street rebuild, Cotswold Project, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This picture made my day. I have not generally liked this building so far, as I fear the march of glass and concrete into the Historic District. But at ground level, this is pivotal for downtown Houston. We have not, since before World War II, seen a Class A office building that devoted such attention to the ground level, sidewalk experience. Texas Commerce Tower had ground floor retail as a nod to Main Street, but it was in the parking garage building. BG Group Place turned a cold shoulder to Main. 609 Main has ground floor retail but it's sort of an afterthought architecturally; the emphasis is increasing but it's not really there yet. But this building (1) sharply differentiates the first two floors from the rest of the building, (2) puts the retail on the best street frontage, Texas Avenue, (3) makes the office entrance secondary to the retail - a total revolution for downtown, and (4) adds a canopy as a significant architectural component, in the tradition of the Rice Hotel, acknowledging the climate and the needs of pedestrians, i.e., people who are not necessarily tenants of the building (!). I mean, you literally have to go back to the days of the Gulf Building, 1929, to see this kind of recognition of the street and the public domain in a Houston office building. Obviously the Houston Center reno gives similar attention, but that's a renovation. This is the most premium product from the most premium developer in Houston. A century has gone by and the circle is complete; an era has finally ended, a new one has begun.

In late August of 2019 I decided to go check out Understory for lunch. I was walking along the building on the Rusk Street side wondering what-the-eff is wrong with this city that no one builds arcades or some sort of shade devices to protect pedestrians from the killer sun. This building is a welcome change. But is it the beginning of a trend? I personally just can't muster that much optimism. 

19 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

In late August of 2019 I decided to go check out Understory for lunch. I was walking along the building on the Rusk Street side wondering what-the-eff is wrong with this city that no one builds arcades or some sort of shade devices to protect pedestrians from the killer sun. This building is a welcome change. But is it the beginning of a trend? I personally just can't muster that much optimism. 

The Discovery West tower by Skanska has the retail entrances recessed from the above facade, so that pedestrians have shade cover as they walk along Lamar Street.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

In late August of 2019 I decided to go check out Understory for lunch. I was walking along the building on the Rusk Street side wondering what-the-eff is wrong with this city that no one builds arcades or some sort of shade devices to protect pedestrians from the killer sun.

In Chicago, nobody built arcades, either, until the city gave the developers reasons to do so.  Now, if a building has an arcade or a public through-lobby, the developer gets extra height allowance.

Obviously, that won't work in Houston, since the developers decide their own heights.  But perhaps there is some other carrot that can be offered to make these skyscrapers more neighborhood-friendly. 

• Like 5

Obviously, that won't work in Houston, since the developers decide their own heights.  But perhaps there is some other carrot that can be offered to make these skyscrapers more neighborhood-friendly. 

The problem is that you really want the arcade along the sidewalk, but our sidewalks are often utility easements / building setbacks.  I think the simple thing to do would be to confirm a maximum height on the aerial easement that the utilities and city can have that way more developers would be encouraged to do what Hines did here.  Centerpoint is a HUGE jerk when it comes to easement standards and while I 100% understand the need for safety standards, their requirements are more often out of laziness and accessibility for their trucks.

It would also help if the city could define canopies as exempt from setback requirements.

• Like 8

I think the ground level looks better/more contemporary, and it's definitely more pedestrian friendly than a 15 year old building would likely be. 

And I like the shape - it will never be the crown jewel of the skyline, and in fact is seriously overshadowed by its residential neighbor, but it's pretty solid.

• Like 7

It looks like What If Syndicate has adjusted their plans.  They had planned a concept called Delilah's in both Texas Tower and on State Street in Chicago's Gold Coast.  They are still planning the same concept but changed the name to "Cafe Sophie".  Cafe Sophie will feature pastries, wood-fired breakfast sandwiches, and a full bar: it’s a space designed for customers to stay a while. There will also be a retail section where visitors can buy home kitchen supplies. (This description is specifically for their Gold Coast location, bu they also say they have a signed lease in Houston for the same concept.)

(It turns out the owner of the other Delilah's in Chicago objected to their use of that name.)

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/11/12/22778060/cafe-sophie-chicago-gold-coast-what-if-maple-ash-all-day-european?fbclid=IwAR1V47M_1iS1CWtEXUff808ed-yzU3lvwp9GoWg0zqKLWoCQhIZY9WBG1nQ

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2