Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Just curious, why don't you?

I think it's mostly the boring glass curtain wall, especially on the parking garage. I must note that I haven't even been to Houston since the glazing started, so I haven't seen it in person. But I also don't like the top all that much and I don't like the entrance.

I'm not a big fan of 609 Main, either. Again, mostly because of the boring curtain wall. I LOVE the exterior of 811 Main (BG Group Place)...just not thrilled with the notch that makes it look like a giant BIC lighter.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy

I'll play this game:

If I was still a kid and my dad said he worked there, I would assume he had the most boring job in the world.  This might be the most vanilla ice cream Hines project I've seen.  The curtain wall is OKAY, the sky lobby bump outs are OKAY, the cool 1st floor carousel is OKAY.  For lack of a more clear criticism it feels like the building has no soul.  The garage podium topped mesh / tight louvers is particularly UGH BORING.

Its almost like someone took Transco Tower, made the floorplate more leasable, rotated the tower 45 deg off street grid, replaced the cool top with a reduced copy of the BHP crown and called it good.

I am sure the lobby will be very nice and the amenities will be to par with Hines typical class-a offerings, but there is nothing here that says WOW COOL.  At least the Skanska rectangle had the understory tunnel "COOL".

• Like 2

I think the reason people like it is because Houston has been spitting out the most monotonous structures... in a good project. When Hines gives us a unbalanced roof, or turning the tower base off the normal grid, we get super excited. It's all relative.

Majority of the buildings have been okay or decent. The rest are boring or ugly. There's nothing exciting, there's nothing that would make it to a coffee table book.

• Like 3

Living in Detroit has really put into perspective for me how bland a lot of the architecture in Houston is. Everything built is about maximizing profits and minimizing costs. None of these buildings are memorable, and they don't really add much to the character of the city. 

On 10/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

No problem. Hopefully we are not into groupthink on HAIF. Just curious, why don't you?

Damn now we're turning into negative groupthink. SOMEBODY PRESS THE REVERSE BUTTON THIS IS GETTIGN OUT OF HAND. Lol, good thing this forum rarely if ever turns into a hivemind like most forums (looking at you reddit). 

Personally, I like the design of this tower, it has pretty good interaction with the ground floor through well designed retail openings, and the crown gives a pretty unique rooftop not seen much in Texas. Overall, while it isn't the Neil Esperson Building, it's still better than the vast majority of high rises in Texas going up and existing. I think it's a good looking building, and adds a lot to the area. 

If we're going off the best looking high-rises going up I would have to say The Preston, or that 39 story tower going up on Post Oak. These 2 towers are just astounding. 

On 10/27/2020 at 5:19 PM, dcdude said:

I live in Austin and this one looks like everything that is going up here....Austin just gets excited when they get a tall building, they don't care what it looks like

Still better looking than most if not all of them though. 

• Like 4

Maybe after it's finished, and all lit up in the evening, and the retail spaces are all open, and I finally get back to town to see it in person... maybe I'll change my mind about it. I don't hate it. It's definitely better than certain other buildings downtown (I'm looking at you Wedge International Tower, Three Allen Center and yes, you, Heritage Plaza).

I agree that it would be nice to see developers push the envelope a bit more. But the need for an iconic skyline to me is secondary to what's happening at street level. Living in NYC for 25 years, I felt like the impact of the city wasn't any individual building. Yes, there were iconic buildings, but most were built like those in Houston to maximize profit. It is their density and how they contribute to the street life that make NYC the big apple. For example, The World Trade Center towers were iconic, but everyone hated the plaza area around them. I vote for pedestrians over pediments.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Damn now we're turning into negative groupthink. SOMEBODY PRESS THE REVERSE BUTTON THIS IS GETTIGN OUT OF HAND. Lol, good thing this forum rarely if ever turns into a hivemind like most forums (looking at you reddit). 

Personally, I like the design of this tower, it has pretty good interaction with the ground floor through well designed retail openings, and the crown gives a pretty unique rooftop not seen much in Texas. Overall, while it isn't the Neil Esperson Building, it's still better than the vast majority of high rises in Texas going up and existing. I think it's a good looking building, and adds a lot to the area. 

If we're going off the best looking high-rises going up I would have to say The Preston, or that 39 story tower going up on Post Oak. These 2 towers are just astounding. 

Still better looking than most if not all of them though. 

agreed

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, tangledwoods said:

I'll play this game:If I was still a kid and my dad said he worked there, I would assume he had the most boring job in the world.  This might be the most vanilla ice cream Hines project I've seen.  The curtain wall is OKAY, the sky lobby bump outs are OKAY,

Sky lobby bump outs would be “COOL” if one was open to the public as an observation deck.

• Like 5

On 10/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I think it's mostly the boring glass curtain wall, especially on the parking garage. I must note that I haven't even been to Houston since the glazing started, so I haven't seen it in person. But I also don't like the top all that much and I don't like the entrance.

I'm not a big fan of 609 Main, either. Again, mostly because of the boring curtain wall. I LOVE the exterior of 811 Main (BG Group Place)...just not thrilled with the notch that makes it look like a giant BIC lighter.

Is there an alternative to glass curtain wall, or a different way it could be applied to improve the overall effect? I just feel like all new buildings are built this way now. You don’t see a lot of stone facades going up anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Is there an alternative to glass curtain wall, or a different way it could be applied to improve the overall effect? I just feel like all new buildings are built this way now. You don’t see a lot of stone facades going up anymore. 

What I mean is: There are boring glass curtain walls and there are interesting glass curtain walls. This one is boring.