Texas Tower: Office Skyscraper At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

4 hours ago, kbates2 said:

That garage on the left is the bane of my existence.  Just reminding everyone.

I really wish they could paint a giant mural or paint some type of photorealistic building on the flat surface. Oh well, I guess that's a discussion for a different thread. 

• Like 3

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ctaf said:

Does anyone know what spot Hines is eyeing for their next project, or what/if any lots they own downtown? It seems they announce a new project once the previous one is near completion

I think having two go up at once like we are seeing now is unusual.  Usually Hines builds a tower, holds it until it is pretty much all leased out, and then sells it to an investor, using the proceeds to fund their next project.  So usually there is at least a couple years between the completion of one tower and the beginning of the next one.  For example, 609 Main was open and leased out before this one was begin, 811 Main was open and leased out before 609 Main began, and 717 Texas was open and leased out before 811 Main began.

If Hines follows their normal process, they'll start their next tower a couple years after Block 58 opens, and probably not even announce anything until well after Block 58 opens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

I think having two go up at once like we are seeing now is unusual.  Usually Hines builds a tower, holds it until it is pretty much all leased out, and then sells it to an investor, using the proceeds to fund their next project.  So usually there is at least a couple years between the completion of one tower and the beginning of the next one.  For example, 609 Main was open and leased out before this one was begin, 811 Main was open and leased out before 609 Main began, and 717 Texas was open and leased out before 811 Main began.

If Hines follows their normal process, they'll start their next tower a couple years after Block 58 opens, and probably not even announce anything until well after Block 58 opens.

Hines partnered up to build this one. According to the website https://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/portfolio/?id=17496  Ivanhoe Cambridge own 80.8% which might affect how quickly Hines begins their next development. I hope I'm wrong about this but with the passing of Gerald D. Hines there might be less impetus for the firm to develop in Houston.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Hines partnered up to build this one. According to the website https://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/portfolio/?id=17496  Ivanhoe Cambridge own 80.8% which might affect how quickly Hines begins their next development. I hope I'm wrong about this but with the passing of Gerald D. Hines there might be less impetus for the firm to develop in Houston.

I honestly doubt his passing will have any impact at all on future developments in Houston.  The company and its leadership (including Mr. Hines' son) are still headquartered here and I don't think he had been actively running the company, or living here, for some time anyway.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Ctaf said:

Does anyone know what spot Hines is eyeing for their next project, or what/if any lots they own downtown? It seems they announce a new project once the previous one is near completion

Not downtown but in TMC

https://www.hines.com/news/hines-and-2ml-real-estate-interests-to-build-levit-green

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Large-Medical-Center-development-planned-by-15342162.php

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/06/15/hines-levit-family-tmc-mixed-use-project.html

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Yoda said:

They have used the strategy of developing with a large equity partner ever since the real estate busts of the 1980's. It shields the developer from risk and allows institutional money to flow into the buildings, making it easier to develop more of them. It may have the effect of making architectural designs more conservative. California Public Employees Retirement System was their partner for 609 Main and I think also BG Group Place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, samagon said:

this building doesn't really do so much for the skyline, but the way it works locally, with the angles, really make it take over that area.

I still think that it will do a good deal for extending the width of the skyline from that angle.  Remember, when you look at that picture, that it will be about the exact same height as the old Continental building.

• Like 6

On 9/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, Urbannizer said:

50395302542_555c532b82_k.jpg

Houston Pano by Carlos Anez, on Flickr

This angle of downtown alway belies just how dense it really is.  The location of the tallest towers at the northwestern edge obscure all the shorter buildings immediately behind them.  It's amazing to me how different our downtown looks from the north, and south and east!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mls1202 said:
On 9/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, Urbannizer said:

This angle of downtown alway belies just how dense it really is.  The location of the tallest towers at the northwestern edge obscure all the shorter buildings immediately behind them.  It's amazing to me how different our downtown looks from the north, and south and east!

That's a downside of the street grid system layout. The buildings alternately obstruct each other and leave gaps due to the sight lines.
One of the reasons Lower Manhattan's skyline is so impressive is that it was constructed within a disorderly jumble of streets. Almost every gap is filled and every building is visible 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

That's a downside of the street grid system layout. The buildings alternately obstruct each other and leave gaps due to the sight lines.
One of the reasons Lower Manhattan's skyline is so impressive is that it was constructed within a disorderly jumble of streets. Almost every gap is filled and every building is visible 

2 things here..

The only part of the New York that is jumbled is the old Dutch and English parts at the tip of Manhattan. The rest is as rigid of a grid as you get, thanks to the 1812 plan. We've all seen the photos of the 'Canyons and Valleys" of Manhattan streets.

On Houston, it's a matter of perspective- Views from 288, 45, and 59 have views that are not straight on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mls1202 said:

Honestly hate this view, my least favorite in the city. Not sure why people are so in love with it.

The view from 45N, 288/59 interchange and I10E are the best imo

• Like 1