Texas Tower: Office Skyscraper At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Houston ever got an observation tower (like the Space Needle or better), I think the best place for it would be somewhere around where The Allen is going up near Buffalo Bayou Park or maybe near Regent Square or Hanover Square near the Bayou. That vantage point would have a nearly 360º view of all of Houston's best skylines - without actually interfering with any of them (well maybe the "Montrose skyline", but that would be fine). Yes, a casual rooftop bar and grill on top, say 300-500 ft in the sky would be nice too. I'd certainly take out-of-towners there to here them rave about how wonderful Houston is.

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 5

On 7/15/2020 at 4:33 PM, West Timer said:

If Houston ever got an observation tower (like the Space Needle or better), I think the best place for it would be somewhere around where The Allen is going up near Buffalo Bayou Park or maybe near Regent Square or Hanover Square near the Bayou. That vantage point would have a nearly 360º view of all of Houston's best skylines - without actually interfering with any of them (well maybe the "Montrose skyline", but that would be fine). Yes, a casual rooftop bar and grill on top, say 300-500 ft in the sky would be nice too. I'd certainly take out-of-towners there to here them rave about how wonderful Houston is.

While I agree location in that area would be great, if we want downtown to continue exploding and building denser towards Midtown, I think having an attraction like that in our core would be a bigger benefit. You would draw crowds year round to downtown which would stabilize some dry goods retail. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

So empty.

20 hours ago, Big E said:

Yeah, a pandemic will do that to you.

I think this was also done on a Saturday. It has a July 11 date in the description and it hasn't been this empty during the week, even during the pandemic.

The thing that stood out to me is how bad of shape so many of our streets are still in down there. Driving on Prairie or Caroline or a number of other streets downtown is like driving on the moon.

Edited by por favor gracias
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, por favor gracias said:

I think this was also done on a Saturday. It has a July 11 date in the description and it hasn't been this empty during the week, even during the pandemic.

The thing that stood out to me is how bad of shape so many of our streets are still in down there. Driving on Prairie or Caroline or a number of other streets downtown is like driving on the moon.

To clarify, I simply remarked that it was empty. It could be because it was a Saturday, or maybe it was taken at 6 AM. It could be because of the pandemic, although as you say, the downtown streets are usually busier even during the pandemic. I drove into Houston last weekend and went to Lowe's and the whole place was thronged with people, so I wouldn't think the pandemic by itself would turn downtown into a dead zone.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I love how this softens the monolithic rise of the chase tower.

About how far up it's going to go? 

I think from this angle, it'll go up about as far up as the tip of 609 Main. 609 Main will be slightly taller, but this building will be slightly closer from this angle and may actually appear taller. I mean, look at the difference between the Chase Tower and 1000 Louisiana from here. That's a hell of a contrast for a difference of 10 feet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

I think from this angle, it'll go up about as far up as the tip of 609 Main. 609 Main will be slightly taller, but this building will be slightly closer from this angle and may actually appear taller. I mean, look at the difference between the Chase Tower and 1000 Louisiana from here. That's a hell of a contrast for a difference of 10 feet.

If it's almost as high as 609Main that's going to make quite an impression on the skyline in terms of softening chase.  

There are many who hate the chase tower. They mainly live 100s of miles to the north and hate it because it's the takest in Texas and not in their city. 

I like Chase. I like that it is different, I like materials, it adds something different to downtown. What I didn't like was how much it sticks out over everything else. This wouldn't be so jarring if the building was tiered or if it had a massive crown. But the sheer wall from ground to top makes it jarring. With TT coming up that far up chase I can still appreciate Chase without all that sheer wall. 

609 main itself needs a 20-30 storey building infront of it too.

TT already looks like such a visually pleasing building that I'm kinda worried that international tower is going to cover it up with an uninteresting 500 ft wall

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Looking real good

EIT6o0q.jpg

zVKlQUB.jpg

kbV1D8r.jpg

G3iWO9N.jpg

YvPtL58.jpg

U1aAjeb.jpg

Great photos thanks for those !  This building is making a massive presence felt downtown and I hope eventually on part of the skyline.  It is amazing and going up so fast now.  I swear Houston has one of THE BEST skylines in the country !  I'm so proud of this great City and region.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1