United Airlines

brain

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm flying in to IAH tomorrow (Friday) and I noticed on flightaware this morning that the United ERJ-145's are utilizing terminal A, not B. What's up with that? I've never known United to use A. I was looking forward to seeing the new terminal B.

United has been using Terminal A since the reconstruction of south Terminal B.  I have been flying Continental and United for 25 years.  Everybody hates the merger but know if it did not happened Continental would be in a lot of trouble.  Continental could not compete with American, Delta, and Southwest and the IAH hub would be gone.  They just need to get there s--- together.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an article published in the Chron last week the HAS' main focus right now is adding more international flights to and from Africa. I was hopeful for Johannesburg. That's based on absolutely nothing except that excerpt.

I also posted this in the Terminal D thread. Here is the article:

March 24--Houston's thriving immigrant community and diverse economy will help the city's airports continue to expand despite an oil slump that may temper the boom in business travel, Houston Airport System Director Mario Diaz told business leaders Monday.

Delivering the annual State of the Airports address, Diaz said he remains confident the airport system's unprecedented growth over the last two years would continue, with Bush Intercontinental, Hobby and Ellington airports all poised for major changes.

"Houston is without a doubt the most diverse city in the nation, and the Houston Airport System has made that possible," Diaz told a crowd at the Royal Sonesta. "We will continue to connect Houston to the rest of the world."

Houston's airports set a record in 2014 with more than 53 million passengers passing through. Internationally, 9.8 million travelers went through Bush, double the rate in 2000. Last year alone, travel to Asia and Africa increased 55 percent, and travel to Europe increased 10 percent.

This is in large part thanks to a string of new international nonstop flights added at the airport, including six new markets last year.

Among the flights added are a nonstop Korean Air flight to the Seoul area, and Scandinavian Airlines nonstop to Stavanger, Norway.

"Right now, the city of Houston is within reach of a very unique and very powerful opportunity," Diaz said. "Houston is poised to become a key global gateway destination, with international passengers flowing through Houston on their way throughout the Americas and to various destinations in the U.S."

The airport has consistently touted Houston's powerful economy when attracting new carriers. Diaz said even with a tumble in oil prices, he expects to attract more flights. He noted the large number of immigrants in the Houston area, and the health of the medical, aerospace and petrochemical industries locally.

"People ask me, why is it so easy for me to find airlines?" Diaz said. "What they want to hear is how powerful is the economy, how many passengers can you generate, what quality passenger?"

He said a drop in oil prices could dampen demand for first class and business class travelers. But, he added, passengers looking to visit family in other countries could find lower prices for coach seats, thanks to added competition.

The next area he would like to add is nonstop flights is Africa, Diaz said.

International flights are expected to continue growing.

Hobby will open a $156 million, five-gate international terminal in October. Southwest Airlines, which is primarily funding the project, will add several flights to Latin America. The airport will have a 3,000-space parking garage to accommodate the1 million passengers expected to be added annually.

Bush will have a new Terminal D by 2020. The City Council approved the funding and phasing plan for the terminal project in June. Construction is slated to begin in 2017. Diaz said one hurdle to Houston's role as an international player is the aging terminal at Bush for international passengers.

The airport system also completed its Federal Aviation Administration application for Ellington to become a commercial spaceport.

Diaz also touted the free WiFi service now available at all terminals at Bush and Hobby, automated kiosks to expedite the process for international travelers, and the NextGen federal project that the airport adopted to improve on-time arrivals.

Joburg would be quite nice. Also wonder if we could get Etiopian to fly here with the Star Alliance connections. Maybe TAAG Angola if oil prices climb again.

• 3 months later...

Since United is closing call centers in HNL and DTW.  Either get laid off, take a package, or work from home.  United advise home agents they will send brand new computers.  Keyboard, mouse, monitor, two headsets, computer component.  AND WILL PAY FOR IT.  Since they will make $5 billion this year when you call most likely the agent is at home.  The only call centers left are Houston and Chicago.  

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I flew into Terminal B south for the first time today to which I was excited about. To be honest with you, it was very underwhelming. While the main B south terminal itself is very slick and modern, the welcome into the terminal via walking outside from the plane to the terminal gives credence to walking into a prison. I was very disappointed. It looks like they simply ran out of money to bring the slick, modern look to the jetways and left cinder block walls exposed instead. Is this really what some of the finest architects could come up with?! I have pics but for some reason it says the pic files are too large. I'll try to post them later tonight.

It was built without jetways so the United Express flights can taxi quicker, and very few aircraft damages.  North Terminal C is looking good now it will have jetways for mainline aircrafts.  I hope they renovate Terminal B North, to crowded, people sitting on the floor and no restaurants like the new Terminal B south.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2016 at 7:48 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Carve out apart of the big United Club in E, maybe?  

I was able to view it in Chicago it is very nice. The larger wide bodies when delivered will have a bar in the cabin. The current wide bodies will take two years to install the Polaris seats. I'm wondering where to Polaris lounge will be in Houston.  I don't think there is enough room.  People are buying united club passes on ebay.  When you get there there is no where to sit.  People put there bags on the other seats to prevent people to sit there.  United employes tell them to remove there bags to so other club members can sit down and have drinks and a meal.  They might built a Polaris Club on top of Terminal E with a private elevator.  We will see it soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

Looks like the new Terminal C North for United may open early.  Looks like they are building the jetways.  

It appears to be moving along nicely.  But you should look more carefully.  Pretty sure they are not yet building jetways.  (And FWIW, when the time comes, they won't be "building" jetways; they will be "installing" jetways.)

1474573228215.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2016 at 0:49 PM, nativehoustonion said:

It was built without jetways so the United Express flights can taxi quicker, and very few aircraft damages.  North Terminal C is looking good now it will have jetways for mainline aircrafts.  I hope they renovate Terminal B North, to crowded, people sitting on the floor and no restaurants like the new Terminal B south.   

HAS in planning stages with United for 2 concourses to replace B North Banjos once Terminal C & D are done. An overhaul of Terminal A is also in planning stages. 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/development-construction/2016/10/06/iah-plans-4-billion-facelift/

Also, given the "within a year" timeframe, these local restaurants are probably slated for Terminal B & C. 

The new restaurants will open within a year and include Greater Houston area eateries, such as The Breakfast Klub, Hubcap Grill and Mexican restaurant Hugo’s, Simmons said.

• 2 weeks later...

$162M technical operations center coming to IAH for United. 

Quoting directly from their press release (link below):

The project, which is the next phase of United's ongoing expansion of facilities at its Houston hub, will add approximately 200,000 square feet of additional hangar capacity for maintaining widebody aircraft, in addition to a new warehouse distribution center, technical services building and administrative offices.

Once completed, the $162 million facility will accommodate widebody aircraft, including Boeing 767s, 777s, 787s and Airbus A350s, and provide an improved work environment with better ergonomics, safety and efficiency for United's maintenance technicians and support personnel

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-10-25-United-Airlines-and-Houston-Airport-System-Break-Ground-on-New-Technical-Operations-Center-at-Bush-Intercontinental-Airport

Does anyone know where (on the property) this is going?  Great to see the airport continue to attract operations & expansion.

50 minutes ago, SkylineView said:

$162M technical operations center coming to IAH for United. 

Quoting directly from their press release (link below):

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-10-25-United-Airlines-and-Houston-Airport-System-Break-Ground-on-New-Technical-Operations-Center-at-Bush-Intercontinental-Airport

Does anyone know where (on the property) this is going?  Great to see the airport continue to attract operations & expansion.

North of Will Clayton Parkway and east of the terminal complex; presumably near their existing hangar.

1 hour ago, SirJac said:

The real question is.....has United grown enough to warrant an expansion of this size? I have my doubts, but if they have, more power to them.

The likely answer is yes, they have grown that much, and/or they're consolidating similar facilities elsewhere with the hub here.  US airlines aren't exactly known for exuberantly optimistic spending sprees.

1 hour ago, nativehoustonion said:

I think they will tear down Terminal D and use the old Terminal C north during construction.  Once that is complete then they will tear down old Terminal C to enlarge D.  They new Terminal C north is twice the size.    

You have it exactly backward.  Once the new Terminal C North is completed and occupied, the old Terminal C North will be demolished and replaced with the first portions of the new Terminal D. 

Archived