United Airlines

brain

Also most 50 seats ERJ will be gone by the end of the year.  Those planes were hurting United's bottom line.  They should have 86 ERJ-175s 76 seats by the end of this year.  This will be great to have 777-200s on domestic routes!  Also 757s to Latin America with Business First flat bed seats.  Good for Houston!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United is also planning to supplement its fleet with a few dozen used/leased narrow bodied jets that are are not expected to have many of the more updated features of newer equipment. So, don't expect too much continuity in their product for a long while.

Quote from the Biz Journal article:

Used aircraft are less costly to add to the fleet than are new planes, but they can be more prone to maintenance issues and, even with upgraded interiors, they may not match the amenities available on newer-model planes.

Unquote.

• 3 weeks later...

United announced Friday they will receive 9 787-900s based in IAH from now until March 2016.  To fly to South America  SCL, EZE, GRU, GIG.  Also LHR, LOS and Lax and DEN.  They will switch the 767-300s and 767-400 to destinations in Europe.  The good thing is they will fly 777-200 on the domestic network.  Lots of comp. upgrades on the 777-200!   

Where exactly is this going/what is it replacing? From the article it says the existing terminal C north would be demolished after this is complete, so I'm assuming it will go to the west of the current terminal C north. But is it actually replacing the banjos at terminal B, or is it going in between the two, near the hotel where B84 is? One would think if it was replacing the banjos it would be called the new terminal B north terminal but who knows.

Ok per airliners.net it's going to occupy the space starting at C24 west to B84. So the banjos will survive unfortunately.

Yes, the banjos survive, for now.  But they have a pretty limited life expectancy.  Phase III of the Terminal B project will eliminate the remaining banjos.

Found a diagram showing the plan. The part in green is the terminal C north renovation/new pier that broke ground today (previously was going to be phase 3 of terminal B north). Looks like the removal of the banjos and reconstruction of B north will occur after this and possibly after terminal D. This makes some sense, as B north will be able to connect to C when complete.

Found a diagram showing the plan. The part in green is the terminal C north renovation/new pier that broke ground today (previously was going to be phase 3 of terminal B north). Looks like the removal of the banjos and reconstruction of B north will occur after this and possibly after terminal D. This makes some sense, as B north will be able to connect to C when complete.

attachicon.gif1431382689QAYVJP.jpg

That diagram indeed shows the location of the new Terminal C North which they broke ground for yesterday.  But it's an old diagram and the details of the new concourse have changed a bit. (e.g. It will have some wide-body capabilities which I don't think was in the plan shown in this diagram).

This concourse was previously going to be phase II of the Terminal B project (not Phase 3).  Phase I was the south side concourses.  And it still is often referred to as Phase 2 of United's Terminal B program (it just ends up resulting in a new Terminal C North. It will also be connected to Terminal B.  

Yes, the removal of the north-side banjos is and always has been Phase III of the Terminal B program.  AFAIK, there is no set schedule for that phase.  It will certainly be after this new C north concourse is completed.  Phase III will be done when United decides they need additional capacity. I would be surprised if they start it before the new Terminal D is completed, but who knows?

1147019-Aerial.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3228646-implications-of-a-united-airlines-a380-superjumbo-order

My lone contact close to the airline indicates there is some veracity to this rumor. UA has struggled to expand on some of the trunk SFO-Asia routes, and the A380 might help them do so.

Come 2020, UA would have a longhaul mix of 787's (all three variants), the A350-1000, the 777-200ER and -300ER, and some remaining 767-300ER and -400ER's. One has to think the 747's would go to the desert if the A380's come aboard.

Anyone else heard about this? 

I understand that this would be out of SFO but the idea of United bringing them to Houston wouldn't be possible being that Terminal's C and E aren't capable of docking the widebody....unless they used Terminal D. Is United permitted to use D? I realize this is hypothetical.

I also have a buddy who works at United (although he still says Continental because he hates United lol) and he hasn't heard of any rumor of such an order yet. Doesn't mean it isn't so. He also said that IAH has very limited international service on United (referring to European, Asian and African, NOT South America or Mexico) because Newark or SFO's location making it easier to feed passengers to those continents through there instead of Houston. He said it is not likely that international service on United will expand much at IAH--even though they did just add Munich. I just thought it was interesting and disappointing. I suppose United's lack of European and Asian destinations from IAH has allowed more foreign flag carriers than we'd otherwise have.

Leeham news http://leehamnews.com/ is a leading aviation gossip site and they are usually very accurate. I read it regularly and have not seen any recent mention of United being a candidate to be an A380 customer.

If Leeham News picks up on this rumor and reports on it, then it is probably really "live". But I agree with the Alpha article and nativeHoustonian that United could be well-positioned to get some aircraft very cheap, either the Skymark Aircraft or the Malaysia Airlines, or probably all four. United, with its strong trans-pacific route system, does seem to be the only US carrier which could potentially use A380s, and Airbus would like to see a US carrier using A380s.

Update: my buddy that works for United text me this morning saying that the buzz around the office today was the A380. After asking a co-worker about it, he realized that this has been in the works for a few weeks now apparently. He didn't have specifics but was surprised by it nonetheless.

United would be crazy not to replace the 747-400s with a good deal from Airbus.  United is watching Delta trying to make a hub out of Seattle to Asia.  If they upgauge obtain these 380s with more seats it will turn heads.  United will do whatever it takes to protect their Asia network.  They just announced a codeshare with Air China.  

But terminal C is only for domestic.

I think the new Terminal C north should have an A380 capable gate when complete (though that is a ways off). We might see the UA A380 on some domestic runs out of Terminal D at low times--the airport would love the buzz.

I think the new Terminal C north should have an A380 capable gate when complete (though that is a ways off). We might see the UA A380 on some domestic runs out of Terminal D at low times--the airport would love the buzz.

I don't think plans for new Terminal C North include any A380-capable gates.

When the new Terminal D is complete, it will have 4 A380-capable gates. United will still be able to use Terminal D gates.  

A380 does not work for United: CFO

CHICAGO

Source: pro.png

19 hours ago

United Airlines chief financial officer John Rainey says the Airbus A380 “doesn’t really work” for the airline’s network, driving its preference for smaller widebodies like the Boeing 787.

“We’ve looked at that and we are looking at it right now [but] it just doesn’t really work for us,” he says on the European superjumbo in an exclusive interview with Flightglobal in Chicago today.

Rainey cites a higher trip cost for the A380 compared to smaller widebodies like the 787 despite comparable per seat costs as the main challenge to adding the type to United’s fleet.

Airbus is eager to land new customers for the A380, whose operators include many of the world’s blue chip airlines but none in the Americas. In addition, Emirates Airline represents more than 50% of the 155 outstanding firm orders for the aircraft with no new customers joining the programme sinceTransaero ordered four in 2012, the Ascend Fleets database shows.

In addition to seeking new customers, the European airframer is now dealing with placing two “white-tail” aircraft that were bound for Japanese carrier Skymark before it cancelled its order for six in 2014.

Those aircraft are unlikely to land at United.

“[instead of] one flight a day and fill up an A380, we’d rather serve [a market] with a couple widebodies if the demand was there because business passengers certainly like that,” says Rainey, citing London Heathrow as a market where frequency is king on routes to the USA.

United has also focused on serving primary and secondary cities abroad with nonstops from its US hubs, for example to places like Chengdu in China or Newcastle in the UK, instead of aggregating all of the traffic over a partner's hub. It also serves primary cities like Hong Kong and Tokyo with multiple frequencies from the USA.

The carrier has ordered 55 787s, including 18 -8s and -9s already in its fleet and 37 outstanding orders for the -9 and -10, that allow it to serve more cities abroad nonstop as well as beef up frequency in key markets.

Rainey says that the 787 is key to United’s network strategy in Asia, especially to China.

In addition to the 37 787s that the airline has on order, it also has firm orders for 35 Airbus A350-1000s with deliveries from 2018 and for 10 Boeing 777-300ERs with deliveries from late 2016, Ascend shows.

This outstanding widebody orders will allow United to replace the 23 ageing Boeing 747-400s in its fleet as well as some older smaller widebodies.

Archived