Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

8 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

If someone was standing at the bottom of Smith Street behind the Leland Federal Building and walked for literally 3/4 of a mile north on Smith street up to Rusk Street behind the Bank of America building on a Sunday, does that person come across even one open street level restaurant on Smith street for that stretch? It would be near impossible for that person to find a restaurant on that stretch of Smith open on a Sunday. 

Oh, I see, we now need to pick specific spots on specific roads only and travel in one specific direction only.  Is that what you do when you travel to a new city?  Ok, I'll bite (pun intended).  Let's play.......

Now this mythical visitor is likely likely not constrained by the concept of "downtown and midtown" she is just hungry.  So, she walks south a block or two and find a number of places to eat.  However, if she is absolutely unable to veer her coarse because she is born to a Manarch Butterfly or something, she is of the generations that can only travel north ---  and just like a monarch she stays on smith and hits restaurants in the Whitehall, the Hyatt (which include Shula's), within a few blocks and if she is really adventurous she could patter her wings 5 feet off smith and go to Benihana (open noon-dinner on Saturday and Sunday).  

Now, let's leave our poor butterfly  alone.  She needs to find some milkweed.  Oh, and yes, she won't find that within 3 blocks on Smith.  Downtown is dead.  No milkweed. Poor butterfly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Well, there's the Whitehall Hotel, 1700 Smith, just one block north of the Fed Building.  They had live music on the patio last weekend. And...the restaurant was open. So...there's that. 

Actually no, that patio (Part and Parcel) is closed on Sundays.

21 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Oh, I see, we now need to pick specific spots on specific roads only and travel in one specific direction only.  Is that what you do when you travel to a new city?  Ok, I'll bite (pun intended).  Let's play.......

You, not me, said...

8 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

While I would agree with your sentiment, Actually, I would say that "it's not hard to find" is wrong.  Rather, I would revise that and say that "it is near impossible to miss".

Based on your bold statement, I simply presented a fact that countered your claim that it was "near impossible to miss". In fact, someone staying at the Whitehall on a Sunday would have a very very hard time finding a street level restaurant open if they traveled north on Smith for 3/4 of a mile (I specifically chose a northerly track because one block south and you exit Downtown). You may not like that fact, but it is a fact. And to your point yes your hypothetical visitor could travel south to Midtown and not be constrained by Downtown, but at that point that's just more of an an indictment of the street level restaurant scene in downtown failing your hypothetical visitor.

9 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

You, not me, said...

Based on your bold statement, I simply presented a fact that countered your claim that it was "near impossible to miss". In fact, someone staying at the Whitehall on a Sunday would have a very very hard time finding a street level restaurant open if they traveled north on Smith for 3/4 of a mile (I specifically chose a northerly track because one block south and you exit Downtown). You may not like that fact, but it is a fact. And to your point yes your hypothetical visitor could travel south to Midtown and not be constrained by Downtown, but at that point that's just more of an an indictment of the street level restaurant scene in downtown failing your hypothetical visitor.

It it "near impossible to miss" Shula's and Benihana on your mythical journey.  So, you are wrong.  Sorry. 

40 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

It it "near impossible to miss" Shula's and Benihana on your mythical journey.  So, you are wrong.  Sorry. 

Sorry, you're wrong. Neither Benihana nor Shula's are on Smith street. And I only remember accessing Shula's from inside the hotel, does it even have a pedestrian street entrance?

6 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Sorry, you're wrong. Neither Benihana nor Shula's are on Smith street. And I only remember accessing Shula's from inside the hotel, does it even have a pedestrian street entrance?

Are you actually serious?

I didn't bother to comment on much your "trains" thread because I figured you just were having an odd time of it that week.  I now agree with others and will simply ignore you as you seem to enjoy being perceived as groundlessly provocative with baseless arguments.

11 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Are you actually serious?

I didn't bother to comment on much your "trains" thread because I figured you just were having an odd time of it that week.  I now agree with others and will simply ignore you as you seem to enjoy being perceived as groundlessly provocative with baseless arguments.

Wow. I didn't know there were so many snowflakes on HAIF. There used to be a lot of great posters back in the day. I now see why they don't post anymore. You make a ridiculous statement that I counter with facts, and instead of presenting a reasoned defense or conceding the point you instead respond by making demagoguery remarks.

Edited by 102IAHexpress

There's also a new burger place at St Joesph pkwy and Louisiana, literally across the street from the federal building.  It's not on Smith though, so I guess it doesn't count

And yes it is open on sundays

44 minutes ago, cspwal said:

It's not on Smith though, so I guess it doesn't count

Smith street was just an example I chose to use to refute UU argument. He could have simply conceded that yes, there are no street level restaurants on that stretch of Smith Street on Sundays and move on to his next points. But instead we saw what happened.  However, I do concede your point that if one travels from that starting point in a easterly direction instead of a northerly one then yes, even on a Sunday you will more easily come across a street level restaurant open for business like Burger Theory.

I don't have an issue conceding facts I cannot refute. A few posts back @rechlin corrected me regarding Samurai Noodle not technically closing but instead just being swapped out. I conceded the point and moved on. For some reason others others on this forum, not saying you, have an issue conceding basic facts when they are presented in front of them and instead resort to name calling.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

If someone was standing at the bottom of Smith Street behind the Leland Federal Building and walked for literally 3/4 of a mile north on Smith street up to Rusk Street behind the Bank of America building on a Sunday, does that person come across even one open street level restaurant on Smith street for that stretch? It would be near impossible for that person to find a restaurant on that stretch of Smith open on a Sunday. 

So, if one walks down one particular stretch of one particular street on a certain day of the week, and ignores anything in a hotel, and does not glance down any side streets, one can avoid encountering an open restaurant.  Sort of proved UU's point for him.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

So, if one walks down one particular stretch of one particular street on a certain day of the week,

Yeah, that's called taking a walk down the street. Tourists do it all the time. I guess you've never walked down 5th Ave in New York or the Champs-Élysées in Paris or pretty much any street. Anyways, if a tourist can walk for more than a 1/4 mile in a straight line in Houston's heat and not find a restaurant in certain parts of Downtown then that actually refutes UU's point, obviously.

Very lame, is this the best y'all have? Y'alls new restaurant thread that doesn't even mention any new restaurants but only mentions wishes of future downtown restaurants yet does include not so vague insults towards me gets practically deleted by the mods, and for what? This?

Instead of trying to defend the indefensible (just stop already, it just looks bad when you try to argue that it's impossible to miss restaurants on the weekend in downtown) why not put together a list of street level restaurants open on the weekends in downtown. (However, if we will exclude subterranean tunnel restaurants that are not easily accessible to the public then we should also exclude restaurants hidden inside hotels which are also not easily accessible to those not on the hotel property). 

• Like 1

I just looked at all the hours for all the restraunts in downtown

There are 106 places that serve food on the weekends, and 68 of them are open on sundays

Most are concentrated in NW downtown, with a lot of new ones around the ballpark.

The list is pretty long so that I attached it here

Eaterys in Downtown.rtf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

There are 106 places that serve food on the weekends, and 68 of them are open on sundays

Most are concentrated in NW downtown, with a lot of new ones around the ballpark.

Eaterys in Downtown.rtf

Man, that's a lot of work to put that together!  Good resource!  Feel free to add Shula's and Edgars Hermano if you wish.  I see that you already added Spindeltop and have other places like Quattro on this list.  Bayou and Bottle (4 seasons) is open 7 days I believe. Part and parcel Whitehall is open saturdays only, I think.

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Eaterys in Downtown.rtf

Awesome list! Thank you.

I wonder if Houston19514 can post his list too? Seems like his data doesn't match up?

On 6/28/2017 at 4:52 PM, Houston19514 said:

Always eager to find the facts, I did some digging around and came up with a list of 110 restaurants, cafes, etc, where one can eat on Saturday and Sundays.  An additional 41, for a total of 151, are open on Saturdays.  And more are on the way!

On 7/1/2017 at 0:50 PM, cspwal said:

Eaterys in Downtown.rtf

Great work cspwal.  I hope you'll be willing to make additions and updates to that fantastic resource:

1600 Bar & Grill 

AMC Dine-In Houston 8 (formerly Sundance Cinema)

Arte Pizzeria

Ballpark Cafe at the Westin

Downtown Aquarium

Einstein Bros Bagels

El Burro and the Bull

Foundation Room at the House of Blues

Great American Cookie Co

Last Concert Cafe

Lucky Strike

Mars Bakery

Melange Creperie

Phoenicia

Salata GreenStreet

Shula's American Steakhouse

Starbucks 1600 Lamar

Starbucks 1200 McKinney

Humble Cafe @ The Courtyard by Marriott

The Isles Eatery and Rhum Bar

The Pearl

The Wine Cellar

Trofi 

Wok & Roll 1200 McKinney

• Like 1

I have only been once since the switch, so  most of that statement comes from stories that I have heard.  When we went, the lines were longer and slower and the theater was much dirtier.  My friends have had some bad customer service experiences with AMC gift cards and not working movies.  Sundance was by far my favorite theater, so I definitely overreact to the slightest change to it.

For the record the AMC Dine In in Downtown is not a full amenity AMC Dine In. It may get there one day, and i hope it does, but it's currently not at that level. What it has instead, is prepackaged boxed meals (probably not made on site) which you can order from the concession stand. After your "meal" is heated up it's ready for pick up. People who have actually been to a full AMC Dine In will notice the lack of a made from scratch menu prepared fresh from a chef, which you can order from your seat. But I'm sure people who have actually experienced both already knew that. However people just doing Google searches may not be in aware.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

Lets say this visitor had a smartphone with Google Maps (like most nowadays). Why would this person walk up Rusk when they're next to Bayou Place (and a nearby Birraporetti's)? 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 10:56 AM, 102IAHexpress said:

For the record the AMC Dine In in Downtown is not a full amenity AMC Dine In. It may get there one day, and i hope it does, but it's currently not at that level. What it has instead, is prepackaged boxed meals (probably not made on site) which you can order from the concession stand. After your "meal" is heated up it's ready for pick up. People who have actually been to a full AMC Dine In will notice the lack of a made from scratch menu prepared fresh from a chef, which you can order from your seat. But I'm sure people who have actually experienced both already knew that. However people just doing Google searches may not be in aware.

So one can get a meal there.  Good to know.  Thanks for verifying.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2017 at 0:50 PM, cspwal said:

Eaterys in Downtown.rtf

Cspwal, I have some more to add to your awesome list of the many places to eat in downtown Houston on weekends. From the prior list of additions I posted, I think we need to delete Wok & Roll and Great American Cookie Co, as it appears they are not open on weekends after all.

New additions:

806 Lounge

1820 Lounge

Buffalo Bayou Coffee 

Café Bene

Chick-Fi-A Houston Center

Cueva

House of Blues Restaurant & Bar

Lobby Bar Hilton Americas

MKT Bar

MOKU Bar 

OKRA Charity Saloon

Part & Parcel

Potbelly 1000 main

Potbelly Mckinney 

Russo's NY Pizzeria

Starbucks UH-D

Subway 1600 Smith

Subway 2314 Bagby

Thai Basil

Texas T

Wokker @ Craft Beer Cellar

So it appears we have approximately 273 restaurants, cafés, etc where one can get food in downtown Houston.  Approximately 124 of those are M-F only (and the vast majority of those 124 M-F establishments are in the tunnels).

Edited by Houston19514
Add Oxbow 7

• 2 months later...