Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

I suspect (s)he is on the spectrum.

A restaurant open 81 days a year that requires an admission ticket qualifies as a real “location”?

Do they even serve the full menu? Is it staffed by Aramark? I’d say those are pretty relevant questions. As C&G says, “not hard to grasp.”

The above said, it’d be great if MMP was modified such that there were some street-level outlets open 365 days a year and closed to the public during games. There are plenty of examples of that.

If Shake Shack operated that way, then I’d consider it a “location.”

Great news re Treebeards!

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, txtiger said:

This is news to me…:

https://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownAquariumHouston/promos/new-tiger-exhibit/

Am at least glad the animals will be able to get some vitamin D.

I think the real question is: are indoor tigers a “real” tiger location? Does downtown therefore currently have a tiger location or will it only have a tiger location once this outdoor pen is constructed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, downtownian said:

I think the real question is: are indoor tigers a “real” tiger location? Does downtown therefore currently have a tiger location or will it only have a tiger location once this outdoor pen is constructed?

Our definition of locations doesn't matter, it only matters if the Aquarium considers it one or two locations.  If they call it a location on their website, that makes it true.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, downtownian said:

I mean you have to pay for a ticket to get to the current tiger location

• 3 weeks later...

Counting a concession stand inside Minute Maid Park as one of the "many" restaurants in downtown is pretty ridiculous. However, a few posts back, some of you counted the AMC movie theatre as a restaurant. Just wondering if you guys still do, or if your thinking has evolved? 

On 5/27/2019 at 2:34 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

Counting a concession stand inside Minute Maid Park as one of the "many" restaurants in downtown is pretty ridiculous. However, a few posts back, some of you counted the AMC movie theatre as a restaurant. Just wondering if you guys still do, or if your thinking has evolved? 

There's a hell of a lot of difference between a movie theater having a restaurant and bar open to the public, without requiring separate admission, every day of the week during lunch and dinner hours and a Shake Shack that's open 81 days a year for 5-hour blocks at most.

Your point otherwise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

There's a hell of a lot of difference between a movie theater having a restaurant and bar open to the public, without requiring separate admission, every day of the week during lunch and dinner hours and a Shake Shack that's open 81 days a year for 5-hour blocks at most.

Your point otherwise?

What is the "restaurant" inside AMC 8 in downtown? Is beer, popcorn and soda a restaurant now? What's on the menu at AMC?

My point is I just simply want to know why  @CrockpotandGravel was attacked for his MMP restaurant claim, yet this forum was silent on the movie theatre "restaurant" claim just a few posts before.  What's the difference? At least Shake Shak at MMP has a hot grill and fryer. Is it that this forum is intellectually dishonest? You can answer yes.

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

What is the "restaurant" inside AMC 8 in downtown? Is beer, popcorn and soda a restaurant now? What's on the menu at AMC?

My point is I just simply want to know why  @CrockpotandGravel was attacked for his MMP restaurant claim, yet this forum was silent on the movie theatre "restaurant" claim just a few posts before.  What's the difference? At least Shake Shak at MMP has a hot grill and fryer. Is it that this forum is intellectually dishonest? You can answer yes.

I haven't been to that theater in years.  It used to be the case that there was a restaurant and a bar, before you entered the theaters.  It may not be the case anymore since it converted to AMC.  It was certainly not a destination restaurant, but, hey, if you wanted to go you could any day or night of the year without paying admission.  A downscale version of whatever was at the Hobby Center.  In any case, I don't care.  The comparison to a concession outlet at Minute Maid Park is ridiculous and banal.

IIRC the discussion of whether it was a restaurant was with regard to counting it as such on a long list.  Don't want to count it?  Fine.  No skin off my back.  It's not like there aren't plenty of restaurants downtown these days.  Who cares if it's 50 or 49?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Photos: Sky-high downtown Houston restaurant now open 

The main dining room at Strato 550.

laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
6 hours ago

Strato 550, a sky-high downtown lunch spot, is now open. The first Houston venture from Compass Group, a global hospitality and foodservice management firm based in the U.K., was announced in February and occupies the entire 43rd floor of 1415 Louisiana. Now, the restaurant is open to the public, serving cocktails and Mediterranean plates. 

The name references the Latin root word for “level” or “layer” and the venue’s location 550 feet in the air, according to a press release, which claims Strato 550 will be Houston’s highest vantage point open to the public. The new venue replaces The 43rd Restaurant & Lounge, a lunch spot and cocktail lounge. 

Click through the slideshow above for a look at Strato 550.

Strato 550 features both a restaurant and a conference center space. The restaurant offers seasonally driven, “approachable cuisine with a Mediterranean influence” and will focus on sourcing from Texas farms and purveyors, the release states. The restaurant will offer both à la carte and prix-fixe menus plus a wine list highlighting premier wine-making regions around the world. 

Evan Parker was announced as the executive chef for Strato 550 in late April. Parker is best known for his work at Mélange Catering & Special Events in Houston but has also cooked in Austin and Portland, Oregon.  

Separately, the conference center has four meeting rooms that can accommodate groups of up to 12 and can be expanded into the larger dining space. The conference center has its own customized menus and will follow a family-style format. 

Strato 550 was designed by Houston-based Abel Design Group and features floor-to-ceiling windows, an open floor plan and “pops of color set against a soothing gray and white scheme,” per the release. The venue aims to create a refined, yet comfortable, setting. Houston-based O'Donnell/Snider Construction is the general contractor for the Strato 550 project. 

The building, formerly known as Wedge International Tower, completed $10 million in upgrades and renovations in 2016. Upgrades included a new modern lobby with Italian stonework, a new entryway, elevator cabs and a main elevator lobby, plus a new hanging light display and updated outdoor signage. Ken R. Harry Associates, which was acquired by Abel Design in 2015, was the architect on the project. 

The building was built in 1983 and previously renovated in 1993, according to Colvill Office Properties, the landlord brokerage. Houston-based The Wedge Group owns the building, and Houston-based Hines has provided property management and construction management since 2014, according to Hines’ website

The restaurant will be open for lunch weekdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and for cocktail hour from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Customized menus will be offered for groups and events. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Ziggy's is coming to downtown, Main at Capitol
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Boomtown coffee closed for good? How long has this been the case?

The Boomtown location on Main St. shut down when COVID kicked off and hasn't re-opened since then. All of their tables and equipment were still in place last time I walked by.  The location inside Understory (Bank of America Tower) was open last week when I walked through. 

Cafe Express (Main Street Side of 601 Travis Garage) and Azuma (909 Texas Under the Rice Apartment Canopy) have both closed and removed all furniture, equipment, and signage.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jermh said:

The Boomtown location on Main St. shut down when COVID kicked off and hasn't re-opened since then. All of their tables and equipment were still in place last time I walked by.  The location inside Understory (Bank of America Tower) was open last week when I walked through. 

Cafe Express (Main Street Side of 601 Travis Garage) and Azuma (909 Texas Under the Rice Apartment Canopy) have both closed and removed all furniture, equipment, and signage.

Hate to see  it... downtown Houston worked so  hard to build up it core and just when it seems like it will finally  start to   explode... something comes along to set it back... seems to always happen 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jermh said:

I did notice a for lease sign as well on the window of Boomtown, just wasn’t sure if it might have been for the space above? I loved Honeymoon when it first open- didn’t feel like old Houston when I was in there. 

• Like 2

I heard this a while back, like the first week of the shutdown. I loved the place and was a regular but I think there was always a problem with identity here. As honeymoon it looked like a classic cafe but they shut food down fairly early and tried to operate as a bar at night. The cafe feel just wasn’t conducive. When they rebranded to boomtown, they made it even less like a bar, shut down food earlier then still tried for evening crowds. It just never worked after about 2:00 each day. I think a more rounded design or a commitment to being either a cafe or a coffee shop or restaurant or bar would have made this more successful.  I’ll miss it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I don't think downtown is slowing down because some bars and restaurants have had to close. Once all of this is over, I'll bet anything it takes off even faster simply because people want to get out. 

How are Understory and Finn Hall doing during all of this?

Edited by j_cuevas713

16 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I don't think downtown is slowing down because some bars and restaurants have had to close. Once all of this is over, I'll bet anything it takes off even faster simply because people want to get out. 

I will say one key difference...the increase in population downtown.. which means even if a business closes...something else is likely to  pop up in it place. Because there is now a night crowd to serve.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Moore713 said:

I will say one key difference...the increase in population downtown.. which means even if a business closes...something else is likely to  pop up in it place. Because there is now a night crowd to serve.

And that's only going to increase with the next couple of residential mid-rises currently under construction. 

17 hours ago, kbates2 said:

I heard this a while back, like the first week of the shutdown. I loved the place and was a regular but I think there was always a problem with identity here. As honeymoon it looked like a classic cafe but they shut food down fairly early and tried to operate as a bar at night. The cafe feel just wasn’t conducive. When they rebranded to boomtown, they made it even less like a bar, shut down food earlier then still tried for evening crowds. It just never worked after about 2:00 each day. I think a more rounded design or a commitment to being either a cafe or a coffee shop or restaurant or bar would have made this more successful.  I’ll miss it.

Touché. I hated the transformation to Boomtown. Either way it goes this is a great location once all this mess is over with. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Finn Hall was just starting a turnover when all this started.  As of now, Sit Lo is gone, as is Low Tide.  Oddball took over Low Tide's space and is open, as are the pizza place, Lit Chicken, and Craft Burger.  The Mexican place taking over Goode's space, Dish Society, and Yong are all apparently closed but still have their equipment in place; best guess is that they plan to reopen once enough people come back to work.

In Understory Seaside Poke, Boomtown Coffee, Flippin Patties, Mona Italian, and the new farro bowl place are up and running.  Of course the bar appears closed because bar, and East Hampton Sandwich and Mama Ninfa's haven't reopened.

In both cases there aren't many customers, as is the case with downtown in general.  Parking hasn't been this easy in decades. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Finn Hall was just starting a turnover when all this started.  As of now, Sit Lo is gone, as is Low Tide.  Oddball took over Low Tide's space and is open, as are the pizza place, Lit Chicken, and Craft Burger.  The Mexican place taking over Goode's space, Dish Society, and Yong are all apparently closed but still have their equipment in place; best guess is that they plan to reopen once enough people come back to work.

In Understory Seaside Poke, Boomtown Coffee, Flippin Patties, Mona Italian, and the new farro bowl place are up and running.  Of course the bar appears closed because bar, and East Hampton Sandwich and Mama Ninfa's haven't reopened.

In both cases there aren't many customers, as is the case with downtown in general.  Parking hasn't been this easy in decades. :ph34r:

Thank you for the update Mollusk!!! 

• 1 month later...