Humble Oil Co. (Humble Tower) At 1224 Main St.

telwink

This is an F. J. Schlueter photograph, likely taken during the 1920s. Originally built in 1921, Humble Oil Co. was the first commercial building in Houston to have air conditioning (added in 1932). I can only imagine that neighboring office buildings' tenants were highly jealous.

This photo was taken from Main St & Polk St.., facing North, on what is now the back side of the building. The Humble Tower was build in 1936, and the wing that connected the tower to the Humble Oil Co.'s 1921 building, was built in 1940, according to the excellent Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. As I understand it, this means there was a period of time that the Humble Oil Co. was not connected to the Humble Tower. I'd love it if someone else could shed some light on this time period.

I've recently taken a particular interest in this building, and the kind folks at the Houston Public Library ~ Julia Ideson building, Texas Room dug this up for me. Those folks are incredible, and if you haven't researched any old Houston photography at this place, I suggest you pay them a visit. They'll even print any of their archive for you, at very reasonable rates.

Posted with permission from the Julia Ideson photography archive.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3286528886_170d651f80_o.jpg

What a great b/w shot...

from 1st AIA- Houston, An Architectural Guide

Humble Bldg.

1224 Main St.

1921/ Clinton & Russell (New York), arch.

1934,1938/ additions, Kenneth Franzheim, John F. Staub, arch.

1947 additions, Kenneth Franzheim

Staub & Rather, associated arch.

1963 / pavilion, Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson, arch.

from 2nd AIA - Houston Architectural Guide

Humble Bldg. [now Main Bldg.]

1212 Main St.

(1921) Clinton & Russell

"When new, this 9-story office block must have looked like a fragment of midtown Manhattan dropped onto the prairie". The book describes the bldg. having a "mixed blend of brown tapestry brick and unobtrusive classical ornament, executed in limestone". Also talks about the 17-story annex with its "elegant penthouse lantern". Has a very lengthy description.

*Note the two different addresses.

"When new, this 9-story office block must have looked like a fragment of midtown Manhattan dropped onto the prairie". The book describes the bldg. having a "mixed blend of brown tapestry brick and unobtrusive classical ornament, executed in limestone". Also talks about the 17-story annex with its "elegant penthouse lantern". Has a very lengthy description.

*Note the two different addresses.

Wow, what great information from the AIA guides. I really appreciate your posting those. I'm going to have to get my hands on an AIA guide for Houston. I love that sort of information.

There was actually another building at the corner of Dallas and Main, that is no longer at this location; replaced by the circle drive for the Marriott, & the little courtyard. Yet if you google map 1224 Main, it points to said courtyard spot. You can barely see the building in this thread's photo, in the lower right-hand side. I'll have my hands on another print soon, that was taken from on top of the (now Macy's) building. A great view of the tower head-on. 1224 Main is clearly visible in that shot.

• The title was changed to Humble Oil Co. (AKA Humble Tower)
  • The title was changed to Humble Oil Co. (Humble Tower) At 1224 Main St.

Archived