Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

It's terrible it closed but I mean downtown is becoming a hot be for development. Don't be surprised if something better fills that spot. I was in downtown about two weeks ago and saw a few empty spots where restaurants used to be, and like two days later I read that 4 new restaurants are coming downtown and filling those voids. Barnabys and PepperJacks to name a couple. I used to be very sceptical when something was proposed downtown because I felt it had little chance of surviving, but in the 26yrs I've been alive, I've never seen Houston go through such a rennaissance of new development and better planned infrastructure. This is an exciting time to be from Houston. The attention we've lacked for years nationally is about to explode.

You take bad news pretty well, i must say. :)

I'm sorry to be a debbie downer, but this doesn't pose as any good coming out for downtown. Just think how Main Street square (or what used to be) has completely gone black at night. Pretty much void of any nightlife whatsoever. Driving through downtown at night looking for the blocks of activity it once literally brings a tear to my eye.

I really had high hopes for downtown when i moved here just under ten years ago. I thought after all the additions downtown has added over the last few years, it would add to what was already there. With all these closings, it takes something away and it almost seems like downtown is having to start all over again from scratch. The nightlife has almost gone non-existant and is more scattered around which takes away from the vibrancy of it. Main Street Square 2004/2005ish and even through part of 2006 seemed to be a little glimmer of hope that downtown was on the rise as an entertainment area.

Oh well, i'm going to end my rant by saying that maybe i'm ignorant to all the things that may be moving forward. I don't frequent downtown as much as I used to, but the few nights that I've gone was dissapointing to say the least.

I'm sorry to be a debbie downer, but this doesn't pose as any good coming out for downtown. Just think how Main Street square (or what used to be) has completely gone black at night. Pretty much void of any nightlife whatsoever. Driving through downtown at night looking for the blocks of activity it once literally brings a tear to my eye.

I don't recall any clubs ever being located on Main Street Square. Main Street Square has things like Reliant Energy Plaza and the back side of a parking garage, etc. Bombay Pizza is near there, and stays open fairly late.

Exactly C2H, in the past 15 years I've seen the city develop a more stable infrastructure to help draw businesses. This includes things like streetscape projects, beautification of some of the sidewalks, and more recently light rail. All of these things were developed to help bring the kind of businesses and development that could stabilize downtown into a liveable neighborhood. So in the past 10 years, more infrastructure has developed both in the private and public sector; Discovery Green, Market Square Park, Light Rail Expansion, Toyota Center, Convention Center Hotel, a grocery store for those living downtown in Phoenicia, the list goes on. Now understand that downtown prior to these past 10 years of growth had been neglected for almost 25 years after the oil crash in the 80's. The reason for the crash is because so much was invested in an unstable source, oil. If you were an investor or a company, would you put your business in a place where no one has invested in years? Of course not. The economy has been so unstable for investors and developers. Today, there is not a more well positioned city in the country. Construction is not happening anywhere else like it's happening here. There is more growing support for light rail expansion to help transport the millions expected in the next 20 years. This city has two extremely stable markets going for it, the health care sector and energy, not just oil like in the past, but also renewable forms of energy. New York City has already went through what we are going through 100 years ago. For NYC's first 150 yrs of existence, conditions were terrible. It's only in the past 100 years that NYC has become what it is now. I'm not saying it's going to take us 100 years, but Houston is a young city, we are the visionaries now that 100 years ago in NYC were trying to develop a more stable city. It's taken 10 years of instability in the market to catch up with this stable city. This is really the beginning of our renaissance, so expect things to change a whole lot more in the next 10 years. This isn't just pointless optimism, trust me I know what I've seen and studied.

These first wave of business' are just temps, more stable business is going to develop as property values continue to rise. Hell look at the new NBC Studio we are getting at the Pavilions. Be optimistic my friend, Houston is booming. And sorry for repeating some of the same points in my first post. Typing too fast. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pepper Jack's: I went today. I had a couple tacos and really liked them. One was shrimp and the other fish. Both were served on 2 decent-size grilled corn tortillas each, and had lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, cilantro, and sauce. I particularly liked the sauce on the shrimp diablo taco.

I don't know if they're going to implement lunch specials eventually, but the food at the place is pricy. My two tacos were $8.28 plus tax. Fajitas for one is $14.99 for chicken or 16.99 for beef. Enchilada plates are $10.99 to $13.29. They have a build-your-own-burger option that's $10.99 for unlimited toppings (toppings like poblano, jalapeno, bell pepper, cheese guacamole, slaw, mushrooms, etc.) Bacon costs extra.

There were other things on the menu that looked interesting: chicken posole, gumbo, crawfish tails, honey chipotle bbq ribs. There were happy hour specials 3 - 7 with some half price apps and drink specials.

• Like 1

I really had high hopes for downtown when i moved here just under ten years ago. I thought after all the additions downtown has added over the last few years, it would add to what was already there. With all these closings, it takes something away and it almost seems like downtown is having to start all over again from scratch. The nightlife has almost gone non-existant and is more scattered around which takes away from the vibrancy of it. Main Street Square 2004/2005ish and even through part of 2006 seemed to be a little glimmer of hope that downtown was on the rise as an entertainment area.

Oh well, i'm going to end my rant by saying that maybe i'm ignorant to all the things that may be moving forward. I don't frequent downtown as much as I used to, but the few nights that I've gone was dissapointing to say the least.

I've been going downtown the past few Friday/Saturday nights now and it's still reasonably busy. It isn't 2000-2004 mass peak but there's still a lot of activity there. It has more of a busy neighborhood nightlife vibe as opposed to the 6th St or Bourbon St. carnival crowd it used to have...and it's still OK with me.

I still saw a lot of people packed in at No-Tsu-Oh, Flying Saucer, Minuti's Coffee, Molly's and such. And the attraction of downtown for me isn't just Main St. I like what I see over in front of Jones Plaza/Bayou Place and on Caroline St. across from Houston Pavilions. People were walking down Travis to Frank's Pizza and Pepper Jacks past midnight. Lots of people sitting in the patio of Sambuca.

Houston's nightlife areas are fairly plenty now, with other areas and districts competing with downtown. That being said, downtown Houston is still a good nocturnal entertainment destination among so many that we have in the area.

It could be much worse. I know and remember what downtown Houston in the 80s and early 90s was like on a weekend night. Now that was truly dead.

Completely agree, from 2001-2005 was just a rush of people new to the downtown area. That fad died and now we are seeing more stable business downtown. I've noticed the same, downtown from Thurs to Sunday seems pretty packed with activity. It's becoming more of a family environment not just a bunch of short lived clubs and party goers like back in 2004. The past 15yrs the city has pumped $3 billion in infrastructure and they plan on adding another $4 billion in the next 10 years to continue to draw the amenities needed to have a stable neighborhood. I really see downtown beginning to boom in the next 5 yrs.

Completely agree, from 2001-2005 was just a rush of people new to the downtown area. That fad died and now we are seeing more stable business downtown. I've noticed the same, downtown from Thurs to Sunday seems pretty packed with activity. It's becoming more of a family environment not just a bunch of short lived clubs and party goers like back in 2004. The past 15yrs the city has pumped $3 billion in infrastructure and they plan on adding another $4 billion in the next 10 years to continue to draw the amenities needed to have a stable neighborhood. I really see downtown beginning to boom in the next 5 yrs.

Yeah, one of those nights I actually saw a mom pushing a baby stroller. And with the addition of Discovery Green, short of being a full blown mixed use/residential area, downtown is actually a viable entertainment/leisure option. Wouldn't it be great if those funky and hot retailers set up on Main St? That would be a great, great thing.

As it is, it might be Houston's destiny that the funky and hot retailers are meant for the Heights, Montrose, Midtown, Washington Ave and the Galleria. Perhaps downtown, aside from the business aspect, will always be our high cultural activity hub, nice large public park, and one bar/nightlife district among Houston's others.

I guess we could strive for better but downtown Houston 2012 is certainly far better than downtown Houston 1993 or such. Yes, I feel could that there could be a shot of positivity for the next five years downtown.

Edited by worldlyman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Burger Guys have been operating way out on Westheimer for a while. They just opened their Downtown location on Wednesday in the former Korma Sutra place, across from Flying Saucer.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/11/first_look_at_the_burger_guys.php

I think their burgers are totally worth the $10 price tag. I'm glad they're finally inside the Loop, because I never got to make it out to the other location.

• 2 months later...

Checked this place out last weekend. Decent crowd on Friday night, good drinks. Kept the historic building in tact, straightforward simple tables and a bar. 4 different charities you can vote for when you buy a drink. We'll see if they are public about how much, if any, they donate at the end of the month (I would think there is a high chance they wouldn't be profitable the first month).

Edited by skwatra

Market Square is open now, and from what I've heard we need more bars in the area again. Isn't Hearsay doing pretty well?

Yes, Hearsay finally got some good cocktails and seem to stay pretty busy now. Food menu hasn't changed much, but the quality seems more consistent now.

I took some out of town friends here last weekend. The drink menu is all u-call-its. It's still has a saloon feel to it and the space is nicely lit for a bar, esp considering the barrel vaulted ceiling is close to 20' high at apex.

Edited by infinite_jim

• 1 month later...

No, and there are very few in this area.

LOL  Tell that to the business owners who have to run them out of their establishments regularly after trying to sneak in to use the restrooms.

As for OKRA Bar, I was surprised at some of the organizations that are vying for the month's proceeds.  The Women's Shelter is a great option but David Crossley's Houston Tomorrow????  No thanks.  That was a turnoff for me.

As for the drinks, for happy hour prices they are barely acceptable, for regular prices they certainly are not. 

As for HH prices it's hard for me to say. Is it still possible to get a $2 bottle of beer anymore? Even a 6-pack of Shiner at Spec's rings up at more than a buck per and that's with me toting them home and opening the bottle myself. :wacko:

Obvioulsly, a downtown or mid-town bar owner is going to have more overhead than a dive out on the Hempstead Highway. I paid $6 per glass for Stella the other day at a well-known establishment in the southwest part of town.