Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

I was just browsing google maps, cause I was disappointed when coldstone went out of business in midtown. I saw that there is a google maps listing for Amy's Ice Cream at 909 on texas avenue?

Is this true?

I just looked on their site and there is no mention..

I think once there is an ice cream shop downtown, people will flock to downtown in droves!

or at least I won't have to drive very far to get a few scoops on a waffle cone.

I was just browsing google maps, cause I was disappointed when coldstone went out of business in midtown. I saw that there is a google maps listing for Amy's Ice Cream at 909 on texas avenue?

Is this true?

it is true...if you were looking 10 years ago. :(

Good to hear. I wonder if they will have any outdoor/sidewalk tables.

Yes, definitely. We have outdoor seating at our other 2 restaurants and have already started work on our sidewalk permit for Downtown. We'll have patio seating on both Main and Capital. We will have a full bar so drinks allowed on the patio as well.

Yes, definitely. We have outdoor seating at our other 2 restaurants and have already started work on our sidewalk permit for Downtown. We'll have patio seating on both Main and Capital. We will have a full bar so drinks allowed on the patio as well.

awesome! any accommodations for cyclists (place to chain our bikes)?

Sweet, I'll be visiting some time.

And I assume by your breakfast/lunch comment that you'll be open after downtown business hours

Ziggy's Healthy Deli is opening a street-level location across Main Street from The Flying Saucer, in the old Tollhouse cookie location. They expect to open in January and will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and on weekends.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I fear downtown will always struggle to be the urban mecca of Houston until they have a proper ice cream shop :P

There were several (mentioned in this thread) and it didn't seem to make a difference.

No, not modeling studios. Ice cream shops.

What makes you think it's a modeling studio?

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv3004.asp

It's definitely still there.

Edited by takeshi

• 3 weeks later...

I walked the job on 01/12/10 and I can tell you that there is still some work to be done. The GC is telling the owners that they are going to turn over the building on 10/25/10 but I can tell you that that is not going to happen. Even the owner had a little chuckle at that. It is coming along and they are realistically going to have a soft opening perhaps the first or second week of February and a grand reopening in time for Valentines Day. The issue is not that they need to put 1000 workers on the job. The issue is that they are crawling all over the place like ants on a blob of jelly. The painters can't paint till the millwork is done, the electrician can't trim out till the paint is done, the carpet cant be layed until the electricians are off their ladders, ect. ect. There are so many workers in there that they are tripping over each other. They lost a huge amount of time trying to save the facade

I can also tell you that aproximately 60% of the staff is returning which is quite amazing when you think about the fact that it has been closed for so long. They layout is similar so it should seem familiar but updated. I for one can't wait to see it finished.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was dissappointed to see that Ziggy's on Alabama at Greenbriar had closed. I just had lunch there in early January. I'm pleased to see the new restaurant opening at Main and Capitol though. I am downtown often enough during the day and evenings that I'm sure I will be making at least monthly visits.

I know it is difficult to maintain more than one restaurant location. When the Carter & Cooley Deli on Prairie closed I asked the owner why that was. He said between the location in the Heights and the one downtown he was strectched too thin and feared that quality would suffer.

Ziggy, I'll see you soon.

Oops! There is only one 's' in disappointed. I guess I am greatly disappointed that the Ziggy's closest to my office and apartment closed. Like I wrote though, I know how to find my way to the new one.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BB's Cafe to open new location in downtown Houston

BB’s Cafe is gearing up to open a new location in downtown Houston’s Theater District.Building on the success of its Montrose location, the cafe will soon be tempting taste buds in downtown with the opening of its second location at the corner of Louisiana and Texas Avenue.

The cafe will open in the summer, serving weekday lunches and offering a variety of office and event-friendly catering options. With the debut of theater season in the fall, the new location’s hours will be extended to include dinner and beyond, providing an after-dark dining option for residents and patrons of nearby arts and entertainment venues.

BB’s “Tex-Orleans” menu includes nearly two dozen overstuffed signature po’ boys, Mexico City-style tacos, homemade gumbo, grillades and grits, appetizers and healthy salads.

Brooks Bassler opened the original BB’s Cafe at 2710 Montrose in 2007

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/05/10/daily7.html