10 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

New renderings were released tonight. wow!!

Industry Building.

https://www.tmc.edu/tmc3/industry-building-1/

JJLf9xU.png

Houston Business Journal says the first half of this will start in Q4 of this year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/08/31/tmc3-research-campus-begins-construction.html

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, texan said:

Houston Business Journal says the first half of this will start in Q4 of this year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/08/31/tmc3-research-campus-begins-construction.html

Paywall... so it says they're starting half of the Industry Building this fall? Does it say anything about the hotel? Can you paste text?

Any comments on decoupling the hotel from the proposed residential tower and doing away with the curvature?  Remember, the current position of the residences was previously identified as future office development space.  I imagine that such redesign decisions are cost-driven (and perhaps post-pandemic driven).  The hotel room count spiked upward, so the hotel itself is pretty tall even without adding residential units on top (reminds me of the Fairmont in Austin, which I love BTW).  I’d guess that the hotel & conference center will break ground within the next year.  Timing is everything to match up with expected future demand.  The Blossom Hotel open date as shown on Google is regularly delayed a week or two at a time (this’ll be a nice venue, and I’m excited to see it thrive in the TMC).  In addition to the Intercontinental and Westin, the Blossom and Hyatt will provide near-term accommodations proximate to TMC3.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 4

On 9/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, H-Town Man said:

Have there been many other examples of new projects having underground detention in Harris County?

It happens a lot more than you think. The County has been pretty forward about the fact that they want more and more larger projects to handle all site runoff and water detention. Sites should do that anyway, but its started getting pretty ridiculous. Sometimes they can take up a massive portion of a site just to offset the footprint the building takes up. Its one reason many have resorted to underground detention, and simply build on top of it. What this has done is that its help the county and city catch up with their own infrastructure, but my hope is that the city and county can at some point create a more wholistic solution, so this cost isn't constantly thrown onto developers just like they do with parking requirements. Its one of those things where people are like...Houston doesn't have zone. Its true, but a few particular ordinances and regulations in effect substitute zone by putting developers in a box. Rainwater detention/retention is one of those, and parking is another.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2