On 2/9/2014 at 8:04 AM, plumber2 said:

I have a suggestion that some may agree to, others of course will not. There are several acres of Hermann Park land south of the zoo across Cambridge (McGregor, Outer Belt) that is really unused, except by Ben Taub emergency room smokers, and an old log cabin. The "Pioneer" cabin can be moved into the park somewhere, or to another location. The smokers can smoke in the middle of the street for all I care. The land sits idle, as a buffer between the Medical Center and the park. Why not let parking garages be the buffer. The garages could be connected to the park with wide pedestrian bridges over Cambridge. (The only problem would be keeping medical center employees from parking there during the day..........or maybe not)

Funny you say that, because according to the Hermann Park master plan they plan on putting a 600 spot parking garage on the corner of Cambridge and Braeswood with a pedestrian overpass over on the zoo side of Hermann Park Dr and Cambridge intersection.  https://www.hermannpark.org/media/uploads/hermann_park_mvva_master_plan_executive_summary_spread_(compressed)-compressed.pdf 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The conservancy is gearing up to conclude the first phase of its ambitious plan to revitalize the park, which includes renovating a 26-acre corner adjacent to the Memorial Hermann Hospital called the Commons. This extensive development, stretching from the Houston Zoo to Cambridge Street, will introduce a host of accessible and sustainable amenities designed to cater to visitors of all backgrounds and abilities.

Among the highlights of this project are plans for exciting play areas for children, including a towering 40-foot rocket ship slide, a snake den for adventurous explorers, a toad hollow for nature enthusiasts, and a whimsical carousel that promises to bring joy to visitors of all ages. Most of the children’s spaces are wheelchair accessible, and they also account for those with neurological disabilities by providing sensory experiences for them."

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2023/09/hermann-park-expansion

• Like 6

They are really flying on the dog park construction. I rode by on Monday and they were working on the water feature already and completing the large outer fence. I know I dogged (😉) Hermann Conservacy for not meeting initial (admittedly ambitious) deadlines for the kids section and dog park, but man the park has been putting in work. People are typically out there working and significant change ever couple of weeks. So impressive. 

Maybe a little more than a decade ago you'd read World News and Report rankings about Rice and in the interview section Rice students would say they love the campus, but don't go too far beyond the hedges because it gets rough. Obvious exageration, but Its so cool to see how much has changed since then. Like an almost completely different park. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 9:47 PM, Highrise Tower said:

I've always wondered about this very old Hermann Park street sign.  This is located on Holcombe Blvd at South Braeswood.

While the sign looks old, it probably isn't original and built in the 1910s/1920s?

RoHnq2s.jpeg

I didn't realize there were any of those signs still in use. I'd be surprised if they were any older than the late 1960s/early 1970s. Fifty-odd years is a pretty good run for wooden signs exposed to harsh conditions like Houston summers and tropical storms, and this one's clearly seen better days. 

• Like 2

The kids are going to love this new Commons area. So many new additions, dragonfly, frog, snake, rocket and capsule, climbing structures, slides galore and I think a water feature of some type, possibly a misting tree or fountains from the floor?

9i0INZi.jpeg

XwQzLSF.jpeg

zLh9Pu4.jpeg

32rsZAG.jpeg

DTdVOr9.jpeg

4WmH7Dd.jpeg

jYqfdQN.jpeg

GtQUS2v.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, txtiger said:

Key dates for The Commons were recently e-mailed-out.  

(Attached image not a replicable invitation.)

079b398f-5f9a-4125-b72c-dcb549bb5081.jpg

Added to the HAIF events calendar: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1