Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

This home video is so great and brings back my childhood like it was yesterday! I too am now 52, and I remember that I had the chicken pox, and I was supposed to stay inside in the dark. But, I snuck outside to see what all that white stuff was, and got into big trouble from my Mom for going outside! The next time it snowed, I was a senior at Milby High School and it even made the Sr. year book that year! I now live in Colorado, where we have had more than my share of snow this year! I am ready to move back to sweet 'ole Texas!!!

Close Jan, Feb of 1973, snowed three times that winter.

houston snow records

yep, thats right because I was looking at pictures last night and our christmas tree was down and standing by the house covered in ice and snow. If it was 1972 the tree would still be in the house. It was still my sophomore year though. Thanks Devonhart.

yep, thats right because I was looking at pictures last night and our christmas tree was down and standing by the house covered in ice and snow. If it was 1972 the tree would still be in the house. It was still my sophomore year though. Thanks Devonhart.

the '73 snow was the only "snow" day we got off while i was in school. i remember building a snowman in the front yard.

Man, I don't think any kindergartner walks home alone from school now.

from the field trips i remember going on, i don't remember the buses having a/c either!

Edited by musicman

The next time it snowed, I was a senior at Milby High School

I was a senior at Bellaire, my two buddies and I borrowed a neighbors dune buggy to run around in the snow covered roads. I think we took out a mailbox when we slid up into somebody's front yard.

I now live in White Plains, NY and still get a kick out of snow. My nieghbors think I'm nuts because I enjoy whipping the snow blower around.

devonhart... I just had some home movies converted to DVD, as you must have for this. I would like to add text and music to mine. What software did you use?

I have a lot of film I shot of my kids in the snow in Feb, 1973. I have a lot more film I want to have converted. Who did you use for the conversion, or did you do it yourself?

devonhart... I just had some home movies converted to DVD, as you must have for this. I would like to add text and music to mine. What software did you use?

I have a lot of film I shot of my kids in the snow in Feb, 1973. I have a lot more film I want to have converted. Who did you use for the conversion, or did you do it yourself?

Windows Movie Maker was loaded on my PC which got me into doing videos, I upgraded later, to do more intricate special effects, but I would stay with Windows Movie Maker for basic music text. It's easier to use, and does just as well with text and music as my upgrade.

The complicated part is converting a dvd file to a avi or mpg file that Windows Movie Maker can recognize. I use FlaskMPEG flaskMPEG

which was a free download as I recall. It lets you select just parts of a video to convert or the whole thing. For example, I just converted the snow scenes out of a much longer film.

My Dad had our home movies converted to VHS years ago, as a christmas project I converted the VHS to DVD on my Pansonic DVD-R and passed them out to my siblings as gifts.

There was a bit of a learning curve for me, but once I got the hang of it, I've had a lot of fun.

We have plenty of the 72 snow too from East End that is. Our snowman was pretty beat up had grit on the sides looked like Pig-Pen from Peanuts. We had a motorized mini-bike to skid around in. At school (Rufus Cage) we all threw snowballs at each other at the teacher too! There's a good photo of me catching snow flakes with my tongue. Glad we had a camera handy! :lol:

Roky Erickson Update

FYI-Roky is alive and well, living in Austin, and playing again! In a nutshell, his brother got custody of him from his mother, got him on meds, got his teeth fixed, and he has played many shows here in Austin in the last year and a half, and will soon go on tour with one of his old bands, The Explosives, to US, Europe and Scandanavia.

http://www.rokyerickson.net/

I also have some video of the 73 snow, taken in Westbury. I converted it to file, but

have never got around to uploading it anywhere..

MK

The Snows of Houston

My first was Jan. 30, 1949, 2.6 inches. I was 7 and woke up, looked out the window and gasped. I ran down the stairs and shook my sleeping mother and I remember exactly, asked her, "What does snow look like?" I figured that must be it from movies and books, just couldn't believe it was in my yard. Stanley Marshall, the boy next door and I stayed out in it so long that our mittens were soaked and our fingers purple. You never forget your first frostbite!

The chart says that in 1958 there was only a trace. Well, as I drove to Bellaire High School in an old clunker with the passenger's side wing window missing, snow was blowing in and pilling up on the floorboard.

For the really big one in 1960, I was in my office at SWBT on Bellaire Blvd. when it began that Friday afternoon. We kept sneaking over to the windows, which were kept covered with blinds and peeking out. Everyone was dismayed because we figured it would be over and gone by the time we got off work. But, no, for once it was heavy and lasting, all the way through Saturday. As I was 18 at the time, not so much frolicking as you little kids, but enjoyed it with snowball fights. I can still remember the shock of awakening on Sunday morning to bright sunshine and green grass, not a trace of white left.

The 1973 was my daughter's first snow. My cousin had called late the night before and told me it was headed our way. It really was beautiful and we have many still photos of same. She had turned 5 in October, so was really into it. No other kids on our block in West U. and she and I were the only ones out and about, had it all to ourselves.

In the late 1980's to 1993, I lived in Santa Fe, NM and like you other transplants to colder climes had more than my fill of snow. Still love the beauty and quietness of it, but can do without the cold, digging the car out and the frostbite.

In the late 1980's to 1993, I lived in Santa Fe, NM and like you other transplants to colder climes had more than my fill of snow. Still love the beauty and quietness of it, but can do without the cold, digging the car out and the frostbite.

Though I moved to the Northeast 13 years ago, I've only had to directly deal with snow the last two winters when we bought a house. The rest of the time we were in apartments or condos where nice men with shovels, snow blowers and trucks with plows did all the work.

I've got my little electric snow blower to do our walkway to the curb, and our short square driveway. I still like snow, 2 or 3 times a year. Our first winter it snowed 17 times, that gets a little tiring.

My grandmother has some 8mm footage of this snowfall which I had converted onto DVR tapes. Good shots of the 4500-block of McKinney covered in snow- kinda neat to see people putting this stuff online.

That would be great to see especially as moving film.

Perfect timing... it would win Best Cinematography, Editing and Sound! Yeah!

Edited by Vertigo58

• 4 weeks later...
I remember this guy very well, but with a slightly different slant. He didn't have a cup full of pencils. He had a single pencil which he held in the same hand as the cup, but pinned against the side of the cup. In other words, he was begging, but with the pretext of selling pencils.

I always wondered if anyone ever tried to take that pencil after they gave money.

I saw a cartoon in a magazine. A blind man was standing on the corner with his blind son. A cup on pencils sat on the ground in front of them. The blind man said to his blind son: "Son, someday this all will be yours."

I saw a cartoon in a magazine. A blind man was standing on the corner with his blind son. A cup on pencils sat on the ground in front of them. The blind man said to his blind son: "Son, someday this all will be yours."

I might start a thread about peculiar people citings around Houston period.

Here on the near east side where Telephone Rd begins we had a guy that would always walk in the middle of the street to Bert's Liquor store. His hair was what got your attention. It was dark and was stacked up in a Samurai - Ninja kind of way. When he walked (real slowly) his hair would stay stiff even in high winds. He may have been the inspiration for Marj Simpson? It must have been about a foot high and kind of wrapped around like cotton candy. His eyebrows looked as if it were eyeliner too. Like Joan Crawfords style. Maybe there were birds living inside but I was too scared to get close enough! :ph34r:

Now that I think about it he was kind of cool. Living in his own private Idaho. :P

Edited by Vertigo58

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else has fantastic photos like these please share! I mean the downtown scene with cars and or people.

Unreal how clear they came out after all these years. I am stunned can't wait to show mom!

Look at the billboard "The new 59 Buick"

I'm breathless.

Bravo!

Edited by Vertigo58

i think this is from the east bleachers at robertson/jeppesen stadium at uh

the angle is wrong for rice stadium..at rice you would be looking straight up shepherd/greenbriar and couldnt see downtown

That is indeed the view looking out of the north end zone at Robertson Stadium (ex-Jeppesen Stadium).

The houses along the street there are on Scott Street. The trees there just beyond the parking lot would now be the UH practice fields, along Holman...or maybe Holman cuts right through where those trees were.

It looks like there's a gas station on Scott in that photo (red roof on the left side of the picture). I wonder if that's now the Popeye's at Scott and Holman? FWIW, that Popeye's will be demolished in the next year or two for the light rail down Scott Street.