Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

Back in 1968 when I was in high school there were lots of bands that played Love Street Light Circus feel Good Machine down at Allen's Landing. There was some underground FM station that simulcasted the shows every Saturday night. I heard Cream, Fever Tree, Spirit, The Doors, and many more local and west cost bands that played there that year. Does anyone on here remember this or the call letters of that underground FM station?

Also my last concert I saw in Houston was Jetro Tull at the Houston Coliseum in 1979 the year of their Songs of the Woods album. I remember there was some heavy metal band that played before before Tull did that had a stage full of equipment for just a 3 piece band. Between sets they cleared the stage and out of the rafters they lowered Tull's equipment which was over half as much equipment as the metal bands and Tull out played the metal band all to hell.

Back in 1968 when I was in high school there were lots of bands that played Love Street Light Circus feel Good Machine down at Allen's Landing. There was some underground FM station that simulcasted the shows every Saturday night. I heard Cream, Fever Tree, Spirit, The Doors, and many more local and west cost bands that played there that year. Does anyone on here remember this or the call letters of that underground FM station?

The station was probably KFMK. It was the big underground station of the 60's.

You saw Cream, Spirit and the Doors at Love Street? I saw all three in 68 but at either the Coliseum (Cream, Doors) or the Music Hall (Spirit). Some groups would go over to Love Street or The Cellar to jam after their gigs but those three were pretty established performers and not the small club type.

The station was probably KFMK. It was the big underground station of the 60's.

You saw Cream, Spirit and the Doors at Love Street? I saw all three in 68 but at either the Coliseum (Cream, Doors) or the Music Hall (Spirit). Some groups would go over to Love Street or The Cellar to jam after their gigs but those three were pretty established performers and not the small club type.

Didn't say I saw them I heard them on that underground FM station.

What was an "underground" station?

Well back in the late 60s early 70s FM stations didn't really play rock they played mostly classical or easy listening. And like someone else all ready said they played music off the albums. Back then record companies made 2 versions of some songs one for the top 40 stations. Underground FM stations played the albums long versions of the songs.

Well back in the late 60s early 70s FM stations didn't really play rock they played mostly classical or easy listening. And like someone else all ready said they played music off the albums. Back then record companies made 2 versions of some songs one for the top 40 stations. Underground FM stations played the albums long versions of the songs.

True. Only underground stations played the full version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Also my last concert I saw in Houston was Jetro Tull at the Houston Coliseum in 1979 the year of their Songs of the Woods album. I remember there was some heavy metal band that played before before Tull did that had a stage full of equipment for just a 3 piece band. Between sets they cleared the stage and out of the rafters they lowered Tull's equipment which was over half as much equipment as the metal bands and Tull out played the metal band all to hell.

I saw Tull, musta been in the eighties, don't think it was seventy nine.During imtermission some bum looking guy, which was part of the show came on stage and threw up in a large lookin trash can, then the band came out, one by one, and they would pull a musical instrument out of the trash can. It was a badass and a very fun show. We sit close to the stage and they had this beachball, that would vibrate with the music as it floated thru the air or it seemed to, might a been the buzz I had. Dont remember no opening show.

They closed the show I think with the lights out, and when the lights came back on, the band was gone. The song The Last Walz by the band started playing, that even sounded good.

• Like 1

Awwww The good old days, when you could camp out and actually get decent seats. While you were out there in the middle of the night waiting in line, you did not have to worry about getting mugged or shot.

I remember camping out at the Joske's (now Dillards) at Brazos Mall in Lake Jackson for concerts. Tickets would be like $6 with a $1 or $1.50 surcharge. Now it's a couple of hundred to go to a concert - PPPFFFFTTTT and you can't even get a free buzz from the smoke in the Summit (remember when the lights would go up at the end and the haze would be so bad you couldn't see the other side?).

I saw Tull, musta been in the eighties, don't think it was seventy nine.During imtermission some bum looking guy, which was part of the show came on stage and threw up in a large lookin trash can, then the band came out, one by one, and they would pull a musical instrument out of the trash can. It was a badass and a very fun show. We sit close to the stage and they had this beachball, that would vibrate with the music as it floated thru the air or it seemed to, might a been the buzz I had. Dont remember no opening show.

They closed the show I think with the lights out, and when the lights came back on, the band was gone. The song The Last Walz by the band started playing, that even sounded good.

The concert I saw was in 1979 the year I moved from Houston to Shreveport, La. to work for a Rolex dealer in their new store in a newly opened mall. The concert you saw must have been different concert than the one I saw, because no one threw-up on stage at the one me and my ex-wife saw.

Awwww The good old days, when you could camp out and actually get decent seats. While you were out there in the middle of the night waiting in line, you did not have to worry about getting mugged or shot.

Spent several nights camped out in front of the Coliseum, Music Hall and even Hofheinz Pavilion. Half the reason I quit going to concerts was when Pace Concerts took over ticketing and gouged everybody with all their "convenience fees".

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a good blog with some info on KFMK.

http://theragblog.bl...s-houstons.html

More here too:

http://scarletdukes....hou_radio1.html

The bumper sticker scan on that blog page isn't the one I remember though which had a psychedelic male face with the words KFMK Wow! or something like that.

Edited by icepickphil
  • Like 1

......saw Savoy Brown with Uriah Heep in 1972 at the Music Hall

I was at that concert too. There was a lot of pot at those shows.

I think my earliest concert was Led Zepplin at Hofienz Pavilion, 1969. I remember buying tickets at Brook Mays on the Southwest Freeway.

Actually they were at the Music Hall in 69 and at Hofheinz in 70. Then at the Coliseum in 71. Saw all three. Totally awesome.

Thanks Fringe, you actually cleared things up. I had a conversation with a guy at work that swears he went to the same Led Zepplin concert that I did, but he claims it was at the Coliseum. My older brother says we are both wrong, because he saw Led Zepplin play at the Music Hall. So we are all right, even though our memories are smoke filled.

Thanks for posting that. I was working in downtown Houston in 1967 but I don't remember the circus parades. Perhaps they were on Saturdays.

I also took a peek at the Cops and Detectives piece you put together. Now, those were some old faces I've not seen in years! Remember "Cookie, Cookie, lend me your comb" ?

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Heavy pecan coffee table in excellent condition. My parents purchased in the early sixties. I'm not sure if it would excite any mid-century fans. Maybe some of HAIFs experts could chime in.

Personally, I think it's ugly.

486226_10200197704326400_1668491747_n.jpg248625_10200197704206397_496943946_n.jpg541890_10200197704246398_479963118_n.jpg

The table is located in Conroe. We aren't sure how to price it. The label on the bottom reads "Columbia" in Louisville, KY. It has a unit number......6682 if I remember correctly.

Any input you have is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Great home movies. Your "Hi Mom" was a good touch. I too was here in Houston for both of those snow events, and also 5 and 18 years old at the time.

Did not have a home movie to document it though (Glad you did). We were bad teenagers also, building snowmen in the neighbors yards before they got home from work........some with boobs!

Thanks for sharing.

too cool!

I was just starting at Jane Long Jr High when the 60 snow happened.

I was home sick with the measles and it was my mom's turn to drive carpool, so she left me home alone...I don't think her car was fully out of sight when I ran outside, made and threw as many snowballs as I could then stashed 3 of them in the back of the freezer. a few months later I exacted sweet revenge on the mean dog that lived behind us. the "evidence" of the assault melted, the perfect crime...

:D