Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

• 1 month later...

I wasn't at the Hellfighters Premiere in Houston, but several friends who were there told me the audience cheered and applauded when Wayne cold-cocked Chris Chandler. That's the reputation the cocky and obnoxious Chandler had in Houston. 

He was so vain and self-important that he got one of those folding "Director" chairs with his name on it and sat near the Director Andrew McLaglen behind the camera. He made sure the KPRC reporter and news crew got film of him "hob-nobbing" with the VIPs, but he got kicked out of that area when he started offering suggestions on how he thought scenes should be shot. 

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I tend to agree with Utterly Urban. Since the Humble Building isn't visible, the location can't be farther South than Bell or Pease. It might be further East than 59, given the rundown shack to the right of the Gulf station. This is where we start to miss the detailed city directories of the earlier decades, where you could pick a street, and see all of the residents/businesses block by block.

Just guessing but it would seem to me it would have to be Gray or Calhoun (St. Joseph) since it is one way inbound.

This would also work with the billboard and the tall Gulf sign, that would be visible from the Gulf Freeway.

Maybe Gray and La branch?  Seems to sorta work from street view.

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

Based on the freeway, at least one other cross street, and the road length I want to say Pierce and Brazos.

Has to be from the East side to get the angles on the buildings. From Pierce and Brazos, the Humble Building would be visible

47 minutes ago, gnu said:

Just guessing but it would seem to me it would have to be Gray or Calhoun (St. Joseph) since it is one way inbound.

This would also work with the billboard and the tall Gulf sign, that would be visible from the Gulf Freeway.

Maybe Gray and La branch?  Seems to sorta work from street view.

Not that far South, as other buildings would be visible.

Okay, my original thought was Gulf Freeway at Scott but when I pulled up streetview it seemed too far away.

But I just looked at my 1976 directory and it shows a Gulf and a Mobil at that intersection. 

Probably just a coincidence as the angle doesn't look quite right between Scott and the freeway either.

Edited by gnu

I just looked at an aerial photo of I-45 and Scott from 1966 on HistoricAerials.com and I'm pretty certain that's I-45 and Scott. I can't link to the aerial view itself, but if you go to HistoricAerials.com and navigate to I-45 and Scott in 1966, you'll see what I mean. 

• Like 1

Scott and the Gulf Freeway still has two gas stations - they're different brands now, but that's not exactly unusual.  The main building of the Phillips 66 / chicken joint that's there now even looks like a reskin of the former Gulf station.

6 hours ago, mollusk said:

Scott and the Gulf Freeway still has two gas stations - they're different brands now, but that's not exactly unusual.  The main building of the Phillips 66 / chicken joint that's there now even looks like a reskin of the former Gulf station.

I thought it might be farther west, like maybe West Dallas at Montrose, since it's both far enough and close enough to see so much skyline. Could we see that much skyline at Scott? Dunno. I'll have to look and visualize the next time I drive that way.

21 minutes ago, Libbie said:

I thought it might be farther west, like maybe West Dallas at Montrose, since it's both far enough and close enough to see so much skyline. Could we see that much skyline at Scott? Dunno. I'll have to look and visualize the next time I drive that way.

I think that the buildings that I mentioned above would not be in the correct orientation from this vantage point.

the best tool that I have found to use to help me visualize is Apple maps 3D view on an iPad.  Really helps me to “see” the rough angles.

10 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

Here's a screenshot of I-45 and Scott from 1966. You can clearly see the light colored pavement of the Mobil station on the NE corner of the intersection.

45scott1966.jpg

And the pavement and carport shadows of the Mobil station on the northwest corner, with the long commercial building behind them...

• 1 year later...