Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

Stone was anchoring at KHOU then, and a guy named Jerry Dale was Lasher's backup and weekend weather guy. When Lasher died, Dale was promoted into the full time weather job. /quote]

They show him in that video. They said he was the "voice" of KHOU, which I assume

means he was probably the one that announced the station ID's, etc..

They show him in that video. They said he was the "voice" of KHOU, which I assume

means he was probably the one that announced the station ID's, etc..

Jerry Dale was indeed "the voice" of KHOU. He had the job known then as "booth announcer." He sat in a small closet-sized booth in the TV control room where he voiced station breaks and other "live" copy. Jerry was also the designated substitute as needed for Sid Lasher, and he often did the weather himself on weekends.

I don't think TV stations use a "live" booth announcer anymore. Everything is now computerized, and all the station breaks are prerecorded into sound files which the master computer plays on the air at the programmed time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Felix was on Kirby. That's not too near the theater. Also in the 60s El Patio was across the street from the theater, where El Meson is now, but I don't know if the theater was still open at that time.

El Patio is correct and the Village theater was still open. I saw The Exorcist there in 1973.

El Patio is correct and the Village theater was still open. I saw The Exorcist there in 1973.

LOL. That's where I saw the Exorcist also. And Kubrick's 2001 and many others I'm sure. But those two stand out.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL. That's where I saw the Exorcist also. And Kubrick's 2001 and many others I'm sure. But those two stand out.

I saw the Exorcist there in 1973 too. I don't know what scared me more, the movie or my date? She kept grabbing my leg through the whole movie.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for those reminders, Schwinn. For the detractors, it's not about what color glasses we need to wear to fondly recall the better parts of our childhood. Any good childhood is essentially one long reality-distortion field. Our one and only job was to see how long we could keep our backs turned to fate which had the rude job of tapping us on the shoulder at inconvenient times.

I personally enjoy reconnecting with every positive memory I can recall from the ages of 3-8. After that, the power of my imagination to overcome the negative got compromised, so I tried less. Fortunately, I've reclaimed my imagination from the clutches of adulthood.

According to my algorithm, it take 2.657 good memories to offset the average bad one. Hence, time travel to the good ol' days provides critical fodder in dealing with the injustices of poorly timed reality.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum (thus it is proven)...or my QED wanna-be.

REMINDER: Let's not poke holes in other people's reality-distortion fields just because we might want to get a higher price for our barely-used one on eBay.

Thanks Schwin. Great memories from my growing up in Bellaire area and Houston. The links related to TV shows bring me to a great Channel on present day TV. If you have cable w/Comcast try channel 311 for METV, regular TV will be 57-4. Just found it but I'm sure it's been on awhie, some good old timers-Bilko, Thriller, Untouchables, Laurel and Hardy, Dick Van Dyke and much more. They also have some nut named Svengoolie(sp) (syndicated out of Cicago) that does old Universal Studios Horror flicks

For years in the mid-late 50s the west side of the Chimney Rock ditch from Beechnut past Jason was piled maybe 10-15 ft high with dirt with small volunteer trees and weeds growing on it - any elevation for a kid growing up on the southwest side of town was catnip, and biking the trails was too fun - and Meyerland stopped at Jason with the remaining distance to Brays Bayou a grassy savannah all the way to the dense oak forest lining both sides of the winding bayou, which like Buffalo Bayou today had sandy, hilly terrain along the banks.

Then they cut down the trees and straightened out the curves and poured concrete. It was still fun to bike along the mostly dry concrete bottom, but nothing like when it was natural.

Your post is wonderfully written, Schwinn. But I have to tell you, I am disturbed by the girl in the immediate left foreground of your school picture. She is channeling some serious bad vibe.

Funny! I had to take a double take and then quickly had to turn away. I hope she's not a commenter on this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Fringe, how about Don�s Records? I used to go in there and browse through his rack of obscure and import albums, and I picked up some gems. I got an early Shawn Phillips folk song album, Lenny Bruce performances that got him busted, John Lee Hooker with John Mayall and the Groundhogs recorded in London and pressed at Cleve Records on Holmes Rd.

One of the best albums I ever had was �Music From Free Creek� which was basically a huge jam session with Ronstadt, Dr. John and a number of �musician�s musicians�. But I learned a valuable lesson with that one � never lend out your records!

Ol� Don used to settle a lot of bets about any and all musical eras. I really liked him. Rest in Peace, Don!

Apologies for responding five years late, but where was Don's Records? Was that the shop in Bellaire?

Speaking of Houston Concerts in the 80s, did anyone on here happen to see or remember this 86 concert? I've heard it caused all the freeways near downtown to shut down till way past midnight.

I went the night before and watched the rehearsal in front of the stage with no lasers or fireworks and went back the next night and watched the real show from a distance. All the feeways near downtown were at a standstill, people would get out of there cars a watch the action from the freeway. Yea it was something to see. Probably seen by a million people.

I went the night before and watched the rehearsal in front of the stage with no lasers or fireworks and went back the next night and watched the real show from a distance. All the feeways near downtown were at a standstill, people would get out of there cars a watch the action from the freeway. Yea it was something to see. Probably seen by a million people.

There has never been a Houston Festival that topped that one and likely never will again. I remember parking somewhere in Montrose and pulling our then 2 year old daughter for blocks and blocks in her little red wagon to Allen Parkway. We never got close to the stage but we had a great view of downtown Houston. It was being simulcast over some radio station and there were plenty of "boom boxes" around so we didn't need to get any closer to hear the music.