Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

• 1 month later...

I think there are two different locations in the clip.  The first one seems more rural.

The later part of the video looks like the 2nd Jeff Davis Hospital on W. Dallas to me.  And that road with the center barrier looks like Allen Parkway.

Edited by gnu

my money is on the 63 Rambler as cause of the accident. I went through the passenger side windshield of one in 1965 b/c it's brakes went out. 6 months before that a friend of mine also went through the passenger side windshield of one b/c...the brakes went out

that 2nd scene is probably JD Hospital on Allen Pkwy (maybe still called Buffalo Drive then but I don't remember).

Edited by IHB2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the Facebook page for this book published in July about the Houston music scene in the 1960s by Vicki Welch Ayo who was a teenager in Pasadena then.

The book is available on Amazon at a discount from the publisher's price and you can look inside the book at a few pages.

There are mentions of many bands and some of the venues that have been mentioned here on HAIF.

And a feature from the Chronicle that includes an interview with the author.

I've heard from Cy Statum, a disc jockey on KFMK, the pioneering album rock station in Houston, who later worked with me at KAUM.  He's heard from another FMK jock, Gary Goforth that the book only mentions KILT and KNUZ and omits any mention of KFMK but I haven't seen the book and can't confirm that.

You've probably done this but I used Amazon's search into their LOOK INSIDE! feature and only got the following results for KFMK:

Page 200 - some of which made it pretty big. One of my close friends back then was Ken Renfro, a local DJ for KFMK-FM

Page 364 - early radio days? Isn't it true that you launched ZZ Top and were referred to as the 4th member of the band? Bill: I did the bumper sticker for the first station KFMK

I'm particularly interested in information about Archie Bell and the Drells but an Amazon search of this book only brought back a few mentions, and that was in lists of bands.

I don't want to criticize the book because I haven't read it, but its scope may be narrower than I hoped.

I'm about half way through the book. She kind of jumps around a bit and because she grew up in the southeast part of Houston by Pasadena there is a lot of focus on bands and clubs from that area.early on.  Some I've never heard of but it's still a very interesting if you grew up in the Houston area, particularly during the 60's. Later she talks about the influence the Catacombs and Love Street had on bands. She had a great interview with one of my favorite Houston bands, Fever Tree. It's a good read for old Houston hippies. She even credits me with one of the photos used in the book. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember an evening at Liberty Hall that showcased a jazz dance routine performed by about 6 local girls? This happened in summer, 1973.  I'd like to know more details about that show.   Also in Early December of '71, there was a film festival of local filmmakers works.  I teamed up with two filmmakers from KPRC; we set up three 16mm projectors in the balcony and showed among many other short/underground movies, footage I had shot two days earlier of The Who when they did the coliseum.  I left around midnight but  my friends kept showing movies til around 3.

Other shows I remember catching were Kinkey Friedman & Velvet Underground. 

• 2 months later...

Cy Statum and Gary Goforth. Now there's a couple of names I haven't heard in years. I worked with both of them at KFMK. Seems like a lifetime ago. Another KFMK guy was Mad John McMurray. After KFMK, he & I worked at K-98 in Austin for a while. Then back to Houston at KLOL, where I worked for six years, most of it on the 10PM - 2AM shift. Good times, good times.

Got out of radio in the early 1980s and did another 20 years in the IT industry. I'm retired and living in the Brazos Valley now. Thanks for the memories!

In the late sixties there was a kicker dance hall at Shepherd (I-45) and Stubner Airline AKA Veterans Memorial Parkway called the Texas ball room. There was a house band headed by Ray Bates and Ray had Frenchie Burk playing with him. Frenchie went on to become a fairly big star in the Cajun music world. The Texas Ball room sat in the V where the Texaco stations is now. The V was a lot bigger then as the feeder was only two lanes wide.

• 3 months later...

Sort of a sequel to a video I did almost 3 years ago, A Night in Houston 1960.

Recently I noticed UofH classified the original 1960 TV show as public domain and free to use.

There's the Houston Symphony before Jones Hall, Alley Theatre before it moved downtown,

a glimpse of beatnick Montrose, wrestling, ice skating before the Galleria.

• Like 2

I'm 99.9 percent sure the ice rink in this old film was Ice Land, located on a point of land where Calhoun, Wheeler and MLK converge on the eastern edge of the U of H. The building is still there, but it's been owned by UH and used for administrative offices, equipment maintenance and storage for many years.  Go to Google Maps and search for 5000 Calhoun Rd. It's there clear as day.

Interestingly, UH has named the building the South Park Annex. South Park was what MLK Blvd was called before it was renamed for MLK many years back. So the name "South Park" lives on.

The wrestling in this film was in the old City Auditorium, which was on the block now occupied by Jones Hall. Wrestling moved to the Coliseum in the early sixties when the 50 year old City Auditorium closed for safety reasons in 1962. Jones Hall opened its doors on that hallowed ground four years later.

Edited by FilioScotia

The building at 5000 Calhoun is just a one-story structure.  The rink in the video at 2:29 looks a lot larger and appears to have second-story windows.  To me it doesn't look like it could be the same building.

The rink is the Polar Wave...it was just east of downtown.

It's also interesting to see the Alley Theater in the film when it was really in an "alley", on Milam across from Holy Rosary Church.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...