Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

Great pictures and memories once again. When my Uncle took his 2 kids and baby cousin me to Buff Stadium, he liked to sit a few rows below the organ, under the roof. What a joy to see this full picture again. It did appear to be huge in a child's eyes in the years before any of the bigger venues.

Jeppesen Stadium was the location of ALL of the Junior High and High School football games in Houston. We made that trip from West University constantly. I was at Pershing and my cousin was at Lamar with '57Tbird, so the family went back and forth a lot.

I do recall the name Pidge Brownie, but was too young and too much girl to be into it all enough to really know anything about how good anybody was.

Great pictures and memories once again. When my Uncle took his 2 kids and baby cousin me to Buff Stadium, he liked to sit a few rows below the organ, under the roof. What a joy to see this full picture again. It did appear to be huge in a child's eyes in the years before any of the bigger venues.

and who would have dreamed that one day there would be townhomes being built just blocks away! The developement is headed south from downtown to near East End.

The only barrier for progress is Scott st. It might take action from the mighty heavens above to fix Scott st area. As soon as they built that new Shell station and cheesy motel next door it drew a pretty tough bunch (day n night) . Its in the news quite often. No sugarcoating folks. :D

• 1 year later...
Don't need any link because that day is etched in my memory. I was in Mrs. Tillinghast's 6th grade class at Love Elementary on Shepherd at W 13th. It was a Friday, not long after lunch when it started snowing. We didn't even get out of class early, and the wait until the 3 o'clock bell was excruciating.

As I recall, I was in 7th grade at Hamilton Jr. High. (When I was at Love, I had Mrs. Tillinghast for 5th Grade and Mrs. Bernard for 6th.)

I recall it snowing 2 or 3 years earlier as well. It was about 4 inches but melted quickly. And somewhere I have some real neat pix of the show in 1949, That was a pretty big one.

This was fantastic Houston history for Youtube. I remade or made copies rather of black n white pics my parents made with big bro & sis. I was not yet around but they are of near North East or Inglewood nabe streets covered in nice bright white snow. :D Have on Photobucket just got to transfer to here.

I recall it snowing 2 or 3 years earlier as well. It was about 4 inches but melted quickly. And somewhere I have some real neat pix of the show in 1949, That was a pretty big one.

Here's a picture of my house in the snow of 1949. The picture had 1947 written on the back, but I guess that was wrong because I can't find a record of any significant snowfall for that year in Houston.

House-1949.jpg

This chart was published in the paper after the last snowfall we had on Christmas Eve, 2004

Houston Snow (I tried to format the columns, but it didn't work.)

YEAR DATE Inches

1895 February 14-15 20

1912 12-Jan 0.1

1918 11-Jan 0.2

1925 28-Dec 0.4

1926 26-Jan 0.8

1929 December 21-22 2.5

1932 March 10-11 0.8

1940 22-Jan 3

1944 10-Dec Trace

1949 30-Jan 2.6

1958 12-Feb Trace

1960 12-Feb 4.4

1961 25-Jan Trace

1961 13-Dec Trace

1963 14-Jan Trace

1963 12-Feb Trace

1964 21-Feb Trace

1973 11-Jan 2

1973 February 9-10 1.4

1973 February 17-18 1.4

1978 January 19-20 0.4

1980 2-Feb 1.4

1981 19-Jan Trace

1981 11-Feb Trace

1985 2-Jan 1

1985 1-Feb 0.3

1989 6-Feb Trace

1989 22-Dec 1.7

1994 12-Feb 0.1

1995 2-Jan Trace

1996 17-Dec Trace

2004 24-Dec Trace

Weather Research Center

5104 Caroline St. Houston, Texas 77004

(713) 529-3076

I finally found the photo I was looking for. It was an 8X10 glossy photo of me and my Cub Scout troop at the Coliseum making necktie rings for some Scout function being held there.

I am sitting at the end of the table, and guess who is standing right behind me?

LOL! I think I have the same pic. If the kid has his left arm in a sling, that would be me. I had a bad accident with a picket fence while roller skating and it took over 150 stitches to close the wound.

YEAR DATE Inches

1949 30-Jan 2.6

1958 12-Feb Trace

1960 12-Feb 4.4

1961 25-Jan Trace

1961 13-Dec Trace

1963 14-Jan Trace

1963 12-Feb Trace

1964 21-Feb Trace

The weather center may have recorded a trace in 1958, but I distinctly remember 4 inches on our picnic table. And the pics I have of 1949 (attached) look like 6 inches or more on the ground. In fact, my mother's note says 5-6 inches. Also, she dates the snowfall as Jan 31 - Feb 1, not Jan 30.

post-7139-1224184245_thumb.jpg

post-7139-1224184260_thumb.jpg

Edited by JRH_1948

I didn't see the sling before, but now I do. And I can remember now you had broken it and couldn't participate.

Just so as not to exclude any others from the post, the boy next to JRH in the photo we are talking about is Kenneth Williams who has/had the veterinary office in the 1400 block of Shepherd. He was in practice with Dr. Fickes, and then had the clinic by himself for a while. Don't know if he is still there or not. Some of you old Heights people may remember him.

So as not to exclude anyone, pic is attached :rolleyes:

post-7139-1224194702_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I think I went to every rock concert that came through Houston in the mid 60's thru late 70's except for the Beatles, Hendrix and the Stones.

The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Rascals, Cream, Lead Zepplin, a great performance of Jesus Christ Superstar and brain freeze many more. Loudan Wainwright had a new guy as the opening band name Bruce Springsteen.

Most were held at the Coliseum and a few more intimate (Moody Blues, James Taylor) were held at the Theatre in the Round. Billy Joel (didn't say HARD rock) was at the Music Hall.

I saw the Eagles twice and I think the second time was held at what became the Compac center? It was new & shiny and remember waiting in the long bathroom line when they played Hotel California.

Seperate place! I saw Pink Floyd at the L.A. Coliseum and when they played "Learning to Fly" they had waited for a plane to descend over the coliseum on it way to land at lax. They bounced hot pink lazer beams off the belly of the plane. It was awsome.

Anyone else out there remember any of the concerts?

• Like 1

You might be interested in my web site.

Houston Rocks

Oh wow, man. The Animals, The Who, Quicksilver, The Byrds, Chicago, The Elevators and who did InaGadadavida? Iron Butterfly?

And the Catacombs.

I saw ZZTop in a little hole in the wall in Beaumont in maybe 68-69? No long beards yet and we were almost sitting on top of them.

Edited by carol802

• 3 months later...

You mentioned the Stones. Were you there that day at the coliseum when they played in 1965? I remember it was $5 general admission. The next time I saw the Rolling Stones (steel wheels, 1989) I shelled out $150.

At several of those concerts in the coliseum, I walked a 16mm camera past the gate and shot from the floor, some rare footage.

HELP :mellow:

Somebody needs to fill me in on dates for the Hendrix and Strawberry Alarm Clock show at the Coliseum? 68-69?

Great early Crosby, Stills and Nash Acoustic and Electric gig at the brand new "Hayes Field House" AKA Hofheinz Pavillion

• 2 weeks later...
I think I went to every rock concert that came through Houston in the mid 60's thru late 70's except for the Beatles, Hendrix and the Stones.

The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Rascals, Cream, Lead Zepplin, a great performance of Jesus Christ Superstar and brain freeze many more. Loudan Wainwright had a new guy as the opening band name Bruce Springsteen.

Most were held at the Coliseum and a few more intimate (Moody Blues, James Taylor) were held at the Theatre in the Round. Billy Joel (didn't say HARD rock) was at the Music Hall.

I saw the Eagles twice and I think the second time was held at what became the Compac center? It was new & shiny and remember waiting in the long bathroom line when they played Hotel California.

Seperate place! I saw Pink Floyd at the L.A. Coliseum and when they played "Learning to Fly" they had waited for a plane to descend over the coliseum on it way to land at lax. They bounced hot pink lazer beams off the belly of the plane. It was awsome.

I wonder what Joel Osteen did with the autograph wall that every band signed at The Summit?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rich Connelly at the Press posted these old photos that he received from Calvin Burdick Jr's son, Josh, that range from aerial views of the city to pictures of the Exxon building when it was first built to old downtown street scenes:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...uston_--_in.php

Rare to see pictures from back then in color. Cool stuff. :)

*side note* I hate slideshows, too. If there was a way to post the photos individually, I would. :(

Rich Connelly at the Press posted these old photos that he received from Calvin Burdick Jr's son, Josh, that range from aerial views of the city to pictures of the Exxon building when it was first built to old downtown street scenes:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...uston_--_in.php

Rare to see pictures from back then in color. Cool stuff. :)

*side note* I hate slideshows, too. If there was a way to post the photos individually, I would. :(

great photos..thanks for the link

i think the owner posted these photos several months ago on haif...there is a thread around here somewhere.

• 1 month later...