Houston In The 1960s

jb4647

Original Humble Oil Bld:

5812066zn.th.jpg

I enlarged the photo, and right next to the Parking lot attendant's booth is THE most beautiful '58 Chevy Bel Air I have every seen. That is also a very nice shot of Houston in the winter.

I enlarged the photo, and right next to the Parking lot attendant's booth is THE most beautiful '58 Chevy Bel Air I have every seen. That is also a very nice shot of Houston in the winter.

Yes, that is a nice looking car. As I've heard many people say, "They don't make 'em like they used to."

Impala, man! :D

Bel Air

32110061889900_tmp_org.jpg

Impala

cim4.jpg

Car in Question

1zwm9s3.jpg

I made the picture even larger and it IS in fact an Impala, it has all the vents on it, side and rear of top and 3 lights on the rear, instead of 2. Couldn't see the vents from the smaller pic of earlier. Good call Sub.

Edited by TJones

Bel Air

32110061889900_tmp_org.jpg

Impala

cim4.jpg

I made the picture even larger and it IS in fact an Impala, it has all the vents on it, side and rear of top and 3 lights on the rear, instead of 2. Couldn't see the vents from the smaller pic of earlier. Good call Sub.

That Impala looks like it would be comfortable to ride in.

Yeah, I'm a little car-obsessive. :blush: I think my Dad had a 1958 once.

• 6 months later...

In the mid 60s, when I went to the Metropolitan or Loews theater, I recall seeing an African American man standing with a seeing eye dog, planted somewhere around Woolworths. He had a tin cup filled with pencils. I don't recollect any patter, just a thank you if someone dropped a coin and took a pencil.

I only went handful times downtown during that time, but he was there each time I went. Anybody remember him?

I remember this guy very well, but with a slightly different slant. He didn't have a cup full of pencils. He had a single pencil which he held in the same hand as the cup, but pinned against the side of the cup. In other words, he was begging, but with the pretext of selling pencils.

I always wondered if anyone ever tried to take that pencil after they gave money.

You're right, because the coins definetly went into the cup, I can still hear it in my head.

Did you go to the Majestic? If so, do you remember the big, burly guy with one eyebrow with kids hanging all around him?

I was taken to the Majestic by an older friend a couple times when I was about 10 (1964). Beleive it or not I was allowed to take a bus downtown on my own starting at about 13 (1966-67) and just hit the Metropolitan and Loews. I probably didn't know where the Majestic was or the movies I wanted to see--Wild in the Streets, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, James Bond double and triple bills, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service--seemed to be always playing at one of those two theatres.

My interest in vintage architecture started then, I was quite impressed with downtown and with the Metropolitan in particular.

bull3.jpg

You'd think this guy's mug would scare the paint off walls, but he was actually a gentle giant.

"Wild Bull" Curry was a famous "rassler" who I often saw at the Majestic Theater, and he always had kids hanging around him asking for autographs or just cutting up with him. And from the smile on his face, I knew he just ate it up. What a great guy.

Wild Bull Curry

I remember this guy very well, but with a slightly different slant. He didn't have a cup full of pencils. He had a single pencil which he held in the same hand as the cup, but pinned against the side of the cup. In other words, he was begging, but with the pretext of selling pencils.

I always wondered if anyone ever tried to take that pencil after they gave money.

I remember him too!

and I guess it took them to tear down Woolworth's so that bible-thumping maniac finally disappearred after years of screaming out loud. He paced up and down so much in that same exact spot I'll bet his heel marks are still there! It was so loud we kids would jump!

Amen! Halleluleah!

Speaking of characters there used to be a guy on Almeda Rd. at the corner of Southmore I think who stood out there everyday in a robe and shadow boxed all day long.

I also read and article about 5 years ago, Alan Hale I think, about a hermit who lived in the woods at the end of Lee Rd. in the 50s and 60s. He lived in a shack made of cardboard boxes. The article said he used to be a doctor who became mentally ill and homeless.

joe

Speaking of characters there used to be a guy on Almeda Rd. at the corner of Southmore I think who stood out there everyday in a robe and shadow boxed all day long.

I also read and article about 5 years ago, Alan Hale I think, about a hermit who lived in the woods at the end of Lee Rd. in the 50s and 60s. He lived in a shack made of cardboard boxes. The article said he used to be a doctor who became mentally ill and homeless.

joe

Maybe we should have titled this thread, peculiar people in downtown?

I know when we were teenagers and we would ride the bus downtown to go to the movies like at the NEW Allen Center basement theaters we would always hang out and go to Woolworths, Grants and any stores just to have something to do. Was kind of exciting.

The funny part was the people watching. We always saw the blindman & his dog, the loud preacher guy and what really got our attention is seeing people that still had thier hairstyles or attire like back in the past. It was the mid seventies and we would see some older women with 1940's hairdos & make up, then we would see some ladies with 60' beehive hairdos & makeup. Older men hanging out at the coffee counters dressed in the 1950's hats and all. It seemed as if they just didnt want to let go of the past. Damned the present in defiance!

I was told once that people that still dress and appear as they did when they were young feel that was when they looked their best so they just stick to it. To heck with the present. These people stood out to us because they were carrying on as normal in their attire well out of fashion. I recall seeing a man at the same cafeteria sipping coffee every time we went in still wearing a zoot suit kind of outfit complete with fedora! We thought it was kinda cool (maybe 25 years earlier). There was an older woman waitress at LC Cafeteria she must have been a Lana Turner wannabe in the 40's only now she wore those pointy cat-eye glasses & heavy red lipstick.There was a novel called "Great Expectations" with a Ms Fabershem wearing her rotting wedding dress & torn veil taking it out on the world because she'd been given the go-bye. Kinda sad though.

Maybe we should have titled this thread, peculiar people in downtown?

I was told once that people that still dress and appear as they did when they were young feel that was when they looked their best so they just stick to it. To heck with the present. These people stood out to us because they were carrying on as normal in their attire well out of fashion. I recall seeing a man at the same cafeteria sipping coffee every time we went in still wearing a zoot suit kind of outfit complete with fedora! We thought it was kinda cool (maybe 25 years earlier).

There used to be people like that sometimes in the tunnels. There was one scary lady we used to see all the time. We thought she was some strange tunnel zombie. She was dressed in what looked like clothes from the 1960s, wore a scarf over her hair, and had very heavy makeup, probably to help disguise the age. We thought perhaps she was homeless but was able to able to at least dress well enough to be allowed to gain access to the tunnel system and airconditioning.

I remember him too!

and I guess it took them to tear down Woolworth's so that bible-thumping maniac finally disappearred after years of screaming out loud. He paced up and down so much in that same exact spot I'll bet his heel marks are still there! It was so loud we kids would jump!

Amen! Halleluleah!

My great grandmother used to tell me that if I didnt pluck my eyebrows I would look like Bull Curry, and no little girl should look like Bull Curry. Now how was I ever going to look like Bull Curry. I was a tiny little girl with blonde hair and no eyebrows to speak of. Great grandma Ida was a hoot.

I found a site that has a lot of great information on Houston music and music venues in the 1960s.

Check it out.

Of course there was that local group from Houston that did "The Tighten up" dance song. KCOH is still on Almeda after all these years and the building still retains that 60's appearance.

building.jpg:)

KCOH Radio is the oldest black radio station in Texas as well as the southern portion of the United States. Established in 1953, KCOH began broadcasting from downtown Houston in the M&M building. In 1963, a new studio was built in Houston

Fever Tree
I had one of their albums, possibly the last one they made. The leadoff song was Imitation Situation, and that may have been the album title as well.

The best song on the album was the absolute very best version of "Hey, Joe" that I ever heard.

My great grandmother used to tell me that if I didnt pluck my eyebrows I would look like Bull Curry, and no little girl should look like Bull Curry. Now how was I ever going to look like Bull Curry. I was a tiny little girl with blonde hair and no eyebrows to speak of. Great grandma Ida was a hoot.
That

Man I loved Fever Tree. Still have their first 3 lp's. Hey Mister was my favorite. I believe it was only issued on a 45.

For those who either don't have a vinyl rig, or don't have the LPs, Collector's Choice Music recently reissued Fever Tree's first two LPs on a single CD. Their website appears to be having issues right now, but it's available from other vendors as well.

Fever Tree/Another Time, Another Place CD

It was a Friday, not long after lunch when it started snowing. We didn't even get out of class early, and the wait until the 3 o'clock bell was excruciating.

I was in kindergarten, so I had a short day, but I remember tracking the cowboy boots I got for Christmas in the snow on the way home. I think school was just a couple blocks away, Woodrow Wilson elementary, but I recall I was walking home alone. Man, I don't think any kindergartner walks home alone from school now.

Edited by devonhart

I was in kindergarten, so I had a short day, but I remember tracking the cowboy boots I got for Christmas in the snow on the way home. I think school was just a couple blocks away, Woodrow Wilson elementary, but I recall I was walking home alone. Man, I don't think any kindergartner walks home alone from school now.

I was almost 3 years old when this happened. My brother was almost 8 so he had a good time. I on the other hand spent the entire time trying to keep rubber boots on that were many sizes too large for me. I have this on vhs tape. The snow I remember best was in 1972 I think. I was a sophomore at Austin high and they closed the school for a snow day.