Pearl Rosemont: Multifamily At 102 Dennis St.

skooljunkie

4 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Dense is relative, each of those big townhouses has maybe 3 people

Relative to what, Manhattan? Ok then.

Houston has the greatest population density in Texas. Austin has more people living downtown than Dallas or Houston, but outside of downtown, Austin's population density plummets to endless rows of single-family homes. Developers there have to fight tooth and nail just to build the kind of townhomes that we're so quick to take for granted. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Is that the old EMOS/Club Some across the street? Man, has that area changed. I remember being held up at knife point walking to my car from Some one night!

The same (2700 Albany).
It had undergone extensive renovation in c.1983 to open as The Officers' Club.
The owner, Jay Hollyfield, had his living quarters upstairs. 

• Like 4

On 7/20/2021 at 11:57 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Compared to what was there 30 years ago, the aerial photos are astonishing.

What was here 30 years ago?  Was walking through the neighborhood last night and realized I have no memory.  

Edited by mattyt36

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

What was here 30 years ago?  Was walking through the neighborhood last night and realized I have no memory.  

No townhouses, that's for sure. If memory serves, older single family homes, small apartment houses, empty lots and, I think I remember TIRR (The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research) had something on the block this is being built on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damnit, you beat me to it. Hindesky is the fastest draw in the west.

Edit: Also, when I pulled on the street and saw the tape across the road, my first thought was that they weren't allowed to close the entire street. THEN I saw the orange crane.

KnDLzxC.jpg

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 9

Do you think there's going to be an extended shutdown to investigate? I recall that occurring for the incidents at the new hotel off I45 N and the Hard Rock in Nola... certainly not nearly as bad in this situation though.

It looks like at least 2 floors have been damaged. I wonder how much they'll have to repair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cityliving said:

I wonder if the ZOOMLION crane might have collided with the other crane when the accident happened? I noticed some damage to the ZOOMLION crane as shown in this pic I took yesterday.

That or it got hit as the mobile crane was coming down. 

• Like 5