Pearl Rosemont: Multifamily At 102 Dennis St.

skooljunkie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Pearl Rosemont: Multifamily At 102 Dennis St.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Dang.

Not every development needs GFR. This is actually a pretty quite area, an edge between two districts with little car traffic. Imagining myself Architect on this job, which I'm not, but if I was, and the client wanted GFR I'd probably would advise doing a catchment study. Likely the study would've resulted in stating that anything other than a small coffee shop would've been tough to put in GFR. Maybe in another 10-15 years with more density and foot traffic then others could consider it. You can't force GFR. There has to be a need. Otherwise its just going to be wasted empty space. Don't plan from above. Plan from the ground.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8

It certainly isn't hard to look at all of the empty retail/lots a block away along Tuam. It is understandable why they didn't add GFR and I agree probably the best case scenario would have been coffee. 

We are finally starting to see at least a little bit of momentum at Tuam/Genesee.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, wilcal said:

It certainly isn't hard to look at all of the empty retail/lots a block away along Tuam. It is understandable why they didn't add GFR and I agree probably the best case scenario would have been coffee. 

We are finally starting to see at least a little bit of momentum at Tuam/Genesee.

First, even a coffee shop would have been a nice for that neighborhood. But I don't think the problem with Tuam is where Tuam is; after all, the corner of Fairview and Taft like 300ft away has long been abuzz.

The problem with that section of Tuam is that it's a thousand feet wide and somehow still manages to have a blind curve that cars take at 35mph or faster. It's a fundamentally unpleasant place to be. 

101 Dennis is not that. I don't think it'd be a great spot for a full-scale supermarket with WF only a few blocks away, but I do think it could sustain a couple of restaurants, a coffee shop, and a small retail store like a bookstore. That is one of the densest neighborhoods (neighborhood neighborhoods, not superneighborhoods/districts) in the city, and currently everything they have access to requires crossing at least Bagby or Webster.

It's not that it's some unforgivable sin or huge loss or whatever, just that with a bit more pedestrian-oriented/neighborhood-oriented mixed-use, it really could be the best example of fundamentally sound urbanism in the city.

I mean it probably is anyway, but still. It could be better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...