2015 Houston Mayor's race

Blue Dogs

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's Wayne Dolcefino's report on Turner's IRS Scam scandal from the 1991 Houston Mayor's campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5vHhpjPq8

It's deceptive to refer to it as "Turner's Scam". There's no proof he knew anything. The Texas Supreme Court did a good job of laying out how Dolcefino engaged in some deliberate deception. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-supreme-court/1406447.html

It's deceptive to refer to it as "Turner's Scam". There's no proof he knew anything. The Texas Supreme Court did a good job of laying out how Dolcefino engaged in some deliberate deception. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-supreme-court/1406447.html

Dolcefino bringing it up again:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/Dolcefino-making-his-mark-on-mayor-s-race-6587759.php

Thought I would post the results - looks like a run off election between Sylvester Turner and Bill King on December 12

Sylvester Turner                 32%            84,025

Bill King                               24%            65,139

Adrian Garcia                      16%            43,223

Ben Hall                                9%             25,116

Chris Bell                               6%            18,958

Steve Costello                       6%            17,326

Hoc Thai Nguyen                   1%             2,230

Marty McVey                          1%            1,366

Demetria Smith                      1%             1,234

Victoria A. Lane                      1%              899

Rafael Jr. Munoz                    1%             502

Dale Steffes                            1%             301

Joe Ferreira                            1%             237

http://www.khou.com/elections/

The runoff will be fascinating. Will Bill King get as large of a turnout or did suburban voters turnout more to defeat HERO? Will Turner lose some of his progressive base, especially amongst LGBTs because of a backlash against the black vote against HERO? Will Garcia and Bell voters automatically go to Turner? Hall's to King? 

The runoff will be fascinating. Will Bill King get as large of a turnout or did suburban voters turnout more to defeat HERO? Will Turner lose some of his progressive base, especially amongst LGBTs because of a backlash against the black vote against HERO? Will Garcia and Bell voters automatically go to Turner? Hall's to King? 

Turner was pro-HERO, but King was anti-HERO so I think LGBTs will support Turner.

King on HERO:

http://abc13.com/uncategorized/bill-king-on-houston-equal-rights-ordinance/978284/

Thought I would post the results - looks like a run off election between Sylvester Turner and Bill King on December 12

Sylvester Turner                 32%            84,025

Bill King                               24%            65,139

Adrian Garcia                      16%            43,223

Ben Hall                                9%             25,116

Chris Bell                               6%            18,958

Steve Costello                       6%            17,326

Hoc Thai Nguyen                   1%             2,230

Marty McVey                          1%            1,366

Demetria Smith                      1%             1,234

Victoria A. Lane                      1%              899

Rafael Jr. Munoz                    1%             502

Dale Steffes                            1%             301

Joe Ferreira                            1%             237

http://www.khou.com/elections/

Big question is whether we can see TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick ®, United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), Governor Greg Abbott ® using aggressive scare tactics to swing voters over to King's side in the runoff ?

There's also the possibility of the "Special Friend", who might show up to leak more secrets about Turner!

Big question is whether we can see TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick ®, United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), Governor Greg Abbott ® using aggressive scare tactics to swing voters over to King's side in the runoff ?

There's also the possibility of the "Special Friend", who might show up to leak more secrets about Turner!

I like what formatting did to ( R ) - it makes it look like Patrick and Abbott are more brand names than people

Turner was pro-HERO, but King was anti-HERO so I think LGBTs will support Turner.

King on HERO:

http://abc13.com/uncategorized/bill-king-on-houston-equal-rights-ordinance/978284/

Turner was very pro-HERO. He came out and doubled down today in his support.

However, it's widely believed his large African-American base is part of the reason HERO failed so miserably. It's no secret that several large African-American churches campaigned hard for the NO vote. Progressives and LGBTs who align with African-Americans on so many issues feel very betrayed. 

My best guess is someone told Turner about this and that is why he came out hard today for HERO. He cannot win with just an African-American vote. He has to energize people who are feeling very defeated right now. It's not going to be easy. 

It might be the first time in a long time that a Republican wins the job. 

However, it's widely believed his large African-American base is part of the reason HERO failed so miserably.

It's funny that they supported Turner instead of Hall who had "no men in women's restrooms" plastered all over his signs. I guess those voters agreed with Hall on that one issue, but nothing else.

In a way I feel a bit bad for Turner, if only for the fact that he's been trying to be mayor for the last quarter century. By no means does he deserve it or that I would support him in his race, but, well, I have to admire that sort of dedication.

However, it's widely believed his large African-American base is part of the reason HERO failed so miserably. It's no secret that several large African-American churches campaigned hard for the NO vote. Progressives and LGBTs who align with African-Americans on so many issues feel very betrayed. 

My best guess is someone told Turner about this and that is why he came out hard today for HERO. He cannot win with just an African-American vote. He has to energize people who are feeling very defeated right now. It's not going to be easy. 

Based on the wide margin of defeat for HERO, I can only assume that a large percentage of people who this ordinance was designed to protect voted against it.  

One thing that perplexes me, why is this not all covered under the 14th amendment? Why do individual cities and states need to have these laws on the books? Equal protection under the law for everyone. No exceptions. 

What are the substantive differences between King and Turner? Their websites are fairly vague in their positions.

Both seem fairly opposed to ReBuild Houston, so that's likely going out the window. Turner comes off as more of a machine politician, while King seems to be extremely pro-business.

Will either of the candidates put pressure on the Planning and Engineering departments to relax things like parking and form requirements?

What are the substantive differences between King and Turner? Their websites are fairly vague in their positions.

Both seem fairly opposed to ReBuild Houston, so that's likely going out the window. Turner comes off as more of a machine politician, while King seems to be extremely pro-business.

Will either of the candidates put pressure on the Planning and Engineering departments to relax things like parking and form requirements?

Turner has experience. King was mayor of Kemah. KEMAH.

Aren't those requirements driven by ordinance? If so, Planning can't make any changes.

One thing that perplexes me, why is this not all covered under the 14th amendment? Why do individual cities and states need to have these laws on the books? Equal protection under the law for everyone. No exceptions. 

Equal rights are protected under the 14th Amendment and Federal statutes.  The problem is, using them as the vehicle for enforcement means making a Federal case out of it in the most literal sense.

The last time Houston had a GOP Mayor was the late Jim McConn [R], who was elected in 1977 & reelected in 1979 before being unsuccessful in his reelection bid in 1981, failing to make the runoff!

Equal rights are protected under the 14th Amendment and Federal statutes.  The problem is, using them as the vehicle for enforcement means making a Federal case out of it in the most literal sense.

I don't think sexual orientation is protected by this amendment.

The 14th Amendment applies to everybody:  "No State shall... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."  More to the point, the 14th Amendment was also the Constitutional underpinning for Obergefell, the case that struck down bans on same sex marriage.

Turner has experience. King was mayor of Kemah. KEMAH.

I recall a similar argument in the 2008 presidential campaign about one of the candidates not having much experience running things.  Something or the other about being a "community organizer".  As I recall the other candidate (who lost by the way) had much more experience.

Archived