2015 Houston Mayor's race

Blue Dogs

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they got to a second thing, it probably would have been comprehensive immigration reform, which would have been another hugely time consuming thing.

Yeah, yeah, another one of those items that is only an important issue when they are not in control.  Funny how that works.   Almost seems like they'd rather have an issue than a solution...

19514- I get it. You think Democrats use (insert minority group here) for votes rather than offering solutions.... but, pray tell, are the Republicans offering up to LGBTs, African-Americans, Women, Immigrants, etc...? 

Actions do speak louder than words but words still matter. 

19514- I get it. You think Democrats use (insert minority group here) for votes rather than offering solutions.... but, pray tell, are the Republicans offering up to LGBTs, African-Americans, Women, Immigrants, etc...?

Do words really matter when they are lies?

Great ad.

These ads are put out by the unions.  Would we really expect them to support a Republican in this race?

Actions are the only thing that matters.  Words are wind.

What is their vision of commuter rail and rail in general?

Here is what his website says on the issue of public transportation (I don't see much in the way of vision of commuter rail or rail in general in here):

"Sylvester applauds METRO’s recent steps forward on its long-term bus rapid transit (BRT) proposal. He is also in favor of the commuter line between Missouri City and Houston, the 90A line, which has the strong support of the communities in that region. However, it is crucial that any citywide transportation proposal includes usable transportation for every community, not only point-to-point transportation for commuters.

Houston’s young population expects an urban, walkable, technologically up-to-date city; we should keep this population in mind as we plan improvements to our transportation infrastructure. For example, the ease of use of our bus system could be improved by making real-time bus arrival information available to the public through their phones and computers. Sylvester supports a planned approach to transit that includes buses, rail, bikes and pedestrian options, to provide effective and affordable options to all areas of the city."

That sounds like his focus is more on the inner-city, not on commuter solutions.

Isn't real-time bus data already available?

That sounds like his focus is more on the inner-city, not on commuter solutions.

Isn't real-time bus data already available?

It is, but it seems unreliable sometimes.  And the metrorail used to have real time data but it seems to have disappeared 

Hey, I'd rather be lied to by Democrats who say the right thing than threatened by Republicans. But, if you can't see that there's a difference, then more power to you... until that bubble pops.

There's red Kool-Aid and there's blue Kool-Aid.  Both taste the same.

Nevertheless, it's true that as Mayor he fought to keep a convicted child molester as the fire chief.

Here's a little bit more on that...

Here’s what is behind the one above: The chief of the Kemah Volunteer Fire Department, David Dockens, resigned under pressure from the local water board in 2002 after it discovered his conviction of aggravated sexual assault of a child.

It’s important to note here that King did not have the power to hire or fire the chief. That was up to an executive board within the fire department, according to current Kemah Fire Chief Brent Hahn.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2015/12/03/129833/houston-mayoral-runoff-campaign-becoming-more-negative/

This, by the way, was just a few years before Turner voted against LGBT rights several times in the Texas legislature.

Here's a little bit more on that...

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2015/12/03/129833/houston-mayoral-runoff-campaign-becoming-more-negative/

This, by the way, was just a few years before Turner voted against LGBT rights several times in the Texas legislature.

During their debate on Ch. 13 last week, King brought up Turner's special friend faking his death in 1986 in the IRS Scam, etc.,

Super close election - I was surprised though at how low the turn out was.  I know it was an OK turn out for the type of election, but when you realize there are a million registered voters (source) and there were only 212,696 votes cast for mayor, that's amazing to me.

Another way:

1,000,000 registered voters

212,696 votes cast

108,389 for the new mayor

Only a tenth of this city actually stated they want our new mayor for the next four years

And only a tenth of the city said they want someone else

What was everyone else doing?  Why does the overwhelming majority of the city not care? This is an election where your vote definitely would have counted, seeing how close it was

Ugh

Super close election - I was surprised though at how low the turn out was.  I know it was an OK turn out for the type of election, but when you realize there are a million registered voters (source) and there were only 212,696 votes cast for mayor, that's amazing to me.

Another way:

1,000,000 registered voters

212,696 votes cast

108,389 for the new mayor

Only a tenth of this city actually stated they want our new mayor for the next four years

And only a tenth of the city said they want someone else

What was everyone else doing?  Why does the overwhelming majority of the city not care? This is an election where your vote definitely would have counted, seeing how close it was

Ugh

Those are exactly the numbers that I was pondering yesterday. Low voter turnout in a runoff election is nothing new, but it does give one pause to consider that only 21% of registered voters could be bothered to vote. 

Meanwhile, the District H council race apparently got pretty heated, at least among the respective candidates' backers (language NSFW):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1129450550406317&set=a.382007385150641.95395.100000241473435&type=3&theater

Those are exactly the numbers that I was pondering yesterday. Low voter turnout in a runoff election is nothing new, but it does give one pause to consider that only 21% of registered voters could be bothered to vote. 

Meanwhile, the District H council race apparently got pretty heated, at least among the respective candidates' backers (language NSFW):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1129450550406317&set=a.382007385150641.95395.100000241473435&type=3&theater

Wow. That Sandra Puente is one classy lady. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looked like a very racially charged election: Turner won 93% of African Americans & 52% of Latinos while King won overwhelming 71% of Anglos.

Surprised neither of the political scientists polled Asian Americans to see how they voted!

• 2 months later...

Archived