BB's Tex-Orleans At 2701 White Oak Dr.

RedScare

I've been watching the epic struggle to turn a former service station into a neighborhood sports bar for nearly a year now, and it looks like the forces of good whiskey may actually win over the evil fuel tanks.

This place is on the SW corner of Studewood and White Oak, hence the name, 6th Street Bar & Grill. :blink:

Actually, most of you know that White Oak is 6th everywhere else, so the name isn't a total play on Austin. They are advertising for help, so maybe we will be able to watch the 'Stros in a new dive soon.

Yeah, Jimmy's is basically next door. Across the street, to the north, is Fitzgeralds. Of course, to the west is Onion Creek, and to the east of Studewood is Heights Sport and Social Bar. The SE corner, where the import shop was is also rumored to become a bar, but I haven't seen much happen lately.

• 2 weeks later...

The ugly fence has come down! And palm trees have gone up! For awhile, I thought this was going to be a low rent operation, but when someone puts in 6 or 8 palm trees, you know they are spending a little cash. They have the entire lot next to Jimmies for parking, too. This place might not be too bad.

Looks like there might also be a new place opening up right across the street from the 6th street bar and grill. They put up a temporary sign that said 'Beer Island' and they seem to be doing some initial work on the property.

I passed that intersection today, and Crash is right - there are two places going up on that corner. I meant to turn around and get some pictures, but we got distracted and didn't go back.

With Fitzgerald's just across the street, thay could well become "another" 6th Street!

• 2 weeks later...
The place is open - anyone been there yet ??

We went Friday night. They had been open two hours and it was almost full. The inside is very noisy due to the acoustics. The menu appeared to be burgers and fries.

I understand it was opened by Nick Papafote (sic), the owner of Nick's Sports Bar and Grill on Wilcrest.

It's a great place if they can do something to tone down the noise in order to make a conversation possible.

I was there Friday, as well. I drove by about 6 pm and the sign changed from now hiring to now open. Acoustics were a bit loud, as lwood said, but the interior was nice and clean. Those of us who remember the mechanic shop would be surprised at how nice it looks inside.

Hopefully, they add some baffling. Otherwise, good drinks at reasonable prices.

• 3 years later...
Given the clientele that they have been going after the last two years, I cannot claim to be surprised.

Agreed. I have a friend that used to work there, but quit over a year ago when the crowd got bad. She said they hired a promoter a while back who just sent invitations on MySpace for all of his friends to show up at 6th St. I guess the promoter hung out with that kind of crowd.

we used to go there quite a bit when it 1st opened. it was clean and small and a good place to have a beer. then they added the ugly DIY looking patio cover and basically ruined the whole cool look it had going. after it started to look junky, a junky crowd rolled in as well. haven't been there in more than a year... and don't even get me started on "beer island" <_<

Hello All

I wonder if the owner understands or even cares about safety concerns with

owning a bar in the inner city ?

Some of the bars on Washington Ave also can get pretty rowdy late at night.

"inner city" as a phrase has a certain connotation that i do not think is applicable to the heights or the washington corridor. would you think that a bar in these areas are any different than bars in other parts of the city? do you think 6th street exists in a rough neighborhood? i don't fully understand what you're getting at, i guess?

From what i understand there is a bit of a feud between the two partners; One is trying to buy the other out, but is demanding too much for his share and is willing to run it into the ground.

The potential full owner is ready to make changes but needs the other out of there to make the changes, including a new chef.

I think what everyone is seeing is the result of a feud that is going to get uglier

From what i understand there is a bit of a feud between the two partners; One is trying to buy the other out, but is demanding too much for his share and is willing to run it into the ground.

The potential full owner is ready to make changes but needs the other out of there to make the changes, including a new chef.

I think what everyone is seeing is the result of a feud that is going to get uglier

Knowing the two owners, this sounds very believable, though the weekend crowd drawn in by the DJ went somewhat downhill before any talk of buyouts began.

I go there occasionally, but generally not when crowds are around (i.e. late night weekends). I quite like the place. St Arnolds had their pub crawl there on Friday which brings in all kinds of folks from all over, so its possible some of them did a return trip on Saturday. I can't speak of the late night clientele for 6th or Beer Island, but during the non-standard hours I visit those places it seems primarily locals that hang out there.

The same folks that own 6th street also own 1400, or is it 1800? Either way the place on shepard. The crowds at different times of the day vary GREATLY. I actually enjoy the food but the waitstaff sucks mostly. I was really excited when they opened bc I loved the patio but the place is so random. It is like they cant figure out what they want to be... Have you been there for the DJ? wtf?

Archived