Too bad downtown still has that retarded sign ordinance that's really holding our downtown back.

Show me pictures of the most dense, vibrant, colorful, people filled urban centers in the world and tell me what they all have in common....

From what I understand, there are no sign ordinances against residential buildings or hotels in downtown which is why Houston House has a sign and so does Embassy Suites.

I could be wrong though...

• Like 2

that makes a lot of sense DrLan.

and i didnt realize the Austin one had signage. i guess it wasnt completely finished when i last drove by at night. makes you wonder why the one downtown doesnt have anything.. does the signage not fit properly on the top of the boxier design? all three that weve determined have signage (Westcreek, Austin, Dallas) share the same airplane hangar roof design.

• Like 1

From what I understand, there are no sign ordinances against residential buildings or hotels in downtown which is why Houston House has a sign and so does Embassy Suites.

Really? I wonder why they gave the Galleria skyhouse signage but not downtown? I think it looks awesome!
  • Like 1

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.  In general, there are no signs above a certain height allowed in the CBD (I think it's 42.5 feet), along with some other restrictions.   But obviously there are exceptions.  There are various exceptions to the general rules in certain districts within downtown, including the sports/convention district, the retail district and the Theater District.  I think these exceptions may be what is allowing the Hilton, Westin, et al. to have their signage.  I'm guessing the Houston House might be grandfathered in.

• Like 1

i wasn't referring to rooftop signs in particular, I'm talking about the signage ordinance in general. The one that makes streetscapes like these......

......impossible in Houston.

Thankfully imo. Although, we do have our fair share of signage around the city...

622x350.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's great to see them repaint some of the beige buildings, as they were getting a little commie-blockie. See the retirement building next to the galleria for reference. Also great that the little building across 610 lost the stripes.

Is it coincidence that they all got repainted at the same time? Like for a certain event coming in two years? Does the Super Bowl have this effect on other host cities or are we the only pig applying lipstick for our moment in the spotlight?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

^^^ please pardon me HAIF, but after carefully referencing the BIZJOURNAL illustrations regarding SKYHOUSE RIVER OAKS, the only thing that strikes me as really LUXURIOUS, is the simple fact that they are situated at the magnificent and forthcoming RIVER OAKS DISTRICT.  the furnishes and other detailing throughout this building look's as though it was all yanked right out of IKEA.... (for which there is nothing at all wrong with that).  however, they really need to quit the LUXURIOUS over sensationalism, and just be truthful.  they are middle bridge players located in an super exclusive area.  they really should think about lowering their monthly rates for this place....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...