Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

I was surprised to see some $145.00 jeans at the Armani Exchange... I guess there was a sale or something??

you should be saving your money. Um, well, I just spent $2oo for some really cool Chip and Pepper jeans. I wanted these 7s, but they were over $3oo. No freaking way.

Northpark has a nice new store mix, but I don't think It'll last just look at what happend to Willow Bend. The mall its self is cold and boring and those statues and paintings make it worse its like a museum LOL While Dallas gets more upscale shops Houston shouldn't worry its not far behind, just like Herrera, Salvatore, and Yurman stop being our exclusives I'm sure at least some of those will come down here soon. BOSS & Juicy Couture have stores everywhere, Custo Barcelona will open this year here so I'm not worried I'm happy with our soon to open CoOp and exited to see what will happen to the Macy's spot (I always wonderd "what if Saks moved there, and Saks made into stores so finally getting to G3 won't be APITA") I read somewhere today that Austin is opening something that starts with a D??? That will include a Neiman's and a William Sonoma, it said it will open next year and that they were trying to get Vuitton, CoOp, Tiffany, BOSS, among others to sign leases there Does anyone know about this project?

The new addition to North Park is only going to make this a better mall. It is the only place I will shop. Neimans, Burberry, Lacoste, and Tumi is all I need. Never have been a fan of Nordstrom for some reason. Macy's is getting better with its trendier stuff. I try and stay away from buying a shirt that costs a fortune and only put it one a few times.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Northpark has a nice new store mix, but I don't think It'll last just look at what happend to Willow Bend.

Willow Bend and Northpark are two completly different malls with different backgrounds. Willow Bend's grand opening was at a really bad time when the economy just started to fall apart. It was a mall developed to cater towards the high end.

Northpark was not always upscale but has evolved into to it over time. Where Foley's is now use to be a JCPenny. Sears use to have a store and auto center at the mall. You could find your standard mall stores like Gadzooks, McDonald's, CD stores, etc... There was even an old movie theater out in the parking lot. Over the past several years Sears and JCP have exited the McDonald's has closed. It use to be I would walk down and see some of the stores I would go to close down to make way for a new luxury store. They have been working at redeveloping the mall for almost a decade now and have grown into it. Big difference from Willow Bend.

I can't wait for Houston to meet everyone's upscale shopping needs, god know's we need em ;) I'm so tired of $30.00 jeans and $25.00 shirts. I'm ready for overpriced goods and I'm ready for them now! :huh:

Hey guys, my above post was sarcastic.

Personally, I think this thread is, well stupid.

So Malls are all the rage in Big D, and on the wane in Houston.

That speaks volumes.

You know Coog, I wanted to say something like you did, but didn't want to start "ye ol'e flame war". But since you've got the guts, I'll follow suit. This thread belongs with the Dallasites as Houstonians, well at least most of us, don't give a rats anal cavity how upscale you are. Oh and those of you that are paying out rediculous sums of money for jeans, should give an old fashioned pair of Levis a try. There really not that bad. :blink:

Well, we can barely support the malls we have. All we really need is the Galleria.

And when Macy's kills a good chunk of the Foley's, things are REALLY going down hill.

The lifestyle center like Town & Country model is the wave of the future. Malls are dead.

Yeah I got that point, but it seemed there was little more behind it. Maybe not but I still stand by what I said.

Well, we can barely support the malls we have.

Have you ever herd of:

Memorial City

The Woodlands

First Colony

Baybrook

Willowbrook

Deerbrook

In my opinion those malls have done VERY good. Notice that the last 3 end in "brook", is they're a reason for that?

Northpark has very nice stores but the way they're spread out makes no kind of sense to me. Its sort of like mixing Galleria I with Northwest but maybe theyl fix that with the expansion that's going on. The mall its self is like Dr.Suess worst nightmare LMAO.

Have you ever herd of:

Memorial City

The Woodlands

First Colony

Baybrook

Willowbrook

Deerbrook

In my opinion those malls have done VERY good. Notice that the last 3 end in "brook", is they're a reason for that?

Northpark has very nice stores but the way they're spread out makes no kind of sense to me. Its sort of like mixing Galleria I with Northwest but maybe theyl fix that with the expansion that's going on. The mall its self is like Dr.Suess worst nightmare LMAO.

But you have to look at each mall itself. The Woodalands Mall is great, but have never been to the others except for Memorial City. Personally, I think it blows. There are no good stories except for a few. I grew up just down the road and only went to Visible Damages to get my hair cut in high school. To me, The Galleria is or specialty stores is where I shopped. Just depends on your lifestlye is all. I just never have been a Kohls or Mervyn's type of person. I think I might have walked through one. I might sound a tad snobbish, but I am not at all. I just prefer nicer things, mainly when a HUGE sale is going on.

I don't mind Kohls or Mervyns only because I don't have money and I don't care if there are finer things in life (if I don't have the money I live with what I got). The Galleria is a bit expensive for me and like you I'd walk around the Galleria but really clothes to me are just clothes. I don't care for labels and name brands. I'll go to Walmart if I have to for tshirts or jeans. If it fits I'll wear it. I DO admit when GAP had it...I did have to go to their store for their GAP "Slim" jeans. But now its a searching game to find jeans that fit me. I like looking for deals when I go shopping. I think I didn't grow up with alot of money and I spend more on others moreso then myself. (its a fault of mine). I guess growing up with little to me means I can do without things I don't really miss.

I don't mind Kohls or Mervyns only because I don't have money and I don't care if there are finer things in life (if I don't have the money I live with what I got). The Galleria is a bit expensive for me and like you I'd walk around the Galleria but really clothes to me are just clothes. I don't care for labels and name brands. I'll go to Walmart if I have to for tshirts or jeans. If it fits I'll wear it. I DO admit when GAP had it...I did have to go to their store for their GAP "Slim" jeans. But now its a searching game to find jeans that fit me. I like looking for deals when I go shopping. I think I didn't grow up with alot of money and I spend more on others moreso then myself. (its a fault of mine). I guess growing up with little to me means I can do without things I don't really miss.

Ross has some pretty good stuff here and there. I'm not a Banana Republic guy but my brother works at one part time as a "fun" job after his regular one...and gave me a $200 jacket. He's given me other stuff from them too...but I rarely, if ever, wear them, really. Hmm. I think it's time to get some shirts...where to go...

I"ll shop at Ross for their shirts. Sometimes i'll go to Hot Topic or Kohls for their "Family Guy" shirts. (I love that show!)

Target as far as discounted clothes is a bit steep (For me)

I tried shoping at "Forever 21" at one time but its not my type of store. "Urban Outfitters" is too far for me to shop! I Wish there was a nearby location other then the Galleria!

I know West Oaks is getting an "Apostle" -however you spell it- they have some great jeans there!! But then again I am more inclined to shop at cheaper stores. I def. know I won't go buy my clothes at "Big Lots". I do have my limits! ;)

Have you ever herd of:

Memorial City

The Woodlands

First Colony

Baybrook

Willowbrook

Deerbrook

In my opinion those malls have done VERY good. Notice that the last 3 end in "brook", is they're a reason for that? Northpark has very nice stores but the way they're spread out makes no kind of sense to me. Its sort of like mixing Galleria I with Northwest but maybe theyl fix that with the expansion that's going on. The mall its self is like Dr.Suess worst nightmare LMAO.

But you have to look at each mall itself. The Woodalands Mall is great, but have never been to the others except for Memorial City. Personally, I think it blows. There are no good stories except for a few. I grew up just down the road and only went to Visible Damages to get my hair cut in high school. To me, The Galleria is or specialty stores is where I shopped. Just depends on your lifestlye is all. I just never have been a Kohls or Mervyn's type of person. I think I might have walked through one. I might sound a tad snobbish, but I am not at all. I just prefer nicer things, mainly when a HUGE sale is going on.

All the above malls are all under the same property management team. Banking 214, you might ought to go by the new Memorial City Mall one day when in Houston again. Its been remodeled and updated. Its not the same mall you went to in high school anymore.

All the above malls are all under the same property management team. Banking 214, you might ought to go by the new Memorial City Mall one day when in Houston again. Its been remodeled and updated. Its not the same mall you went to in high school anymore.

Yeah, Memorial City is a lot different the only stores dat piss the whole mall up are Target and JCPenny, maybe even Sears. I think a Nordstrom would have been a lot better than JCPenny. Apple and a new Cinema are opening there that should sort of let you know the direction the mall is headed. I heard Roger Clements is opening a sports themed bar/restaurant. Does enyone know what's taking Mervyn's place?

It nice inside and even out, but Sears and JC Penny? I think Metro National seems to be aiming for a a mix of clientele, but personally, I don't shop at JC Penny or Foley's. Would have been nice ot have had a Nordstrom or a higher end retailer. Not that I shop at them all the time. Most of the time I am in flip flops and a t shirt.

• 1 month later...

The new expansion at North Park Mall opened a couple weeks ago. It's incredible. The mall is absolutely huge now and the stores are mostly very upscale. The addition was really well hidden during construction. I would have never guessed that the new addition would be as big as it is. It seems bigger than the original mall...

The new expansion at North Park Mall opened a couple weeks ago. It's incredible. The mall is absolutely huge now and the stores are mostly very upscale. The addition was really well hidden during construction. I would have never guessed that the new addition would be as big as it is. It seems bigger than the original mall...

Very exciting happenings up there at the North Park mall. :huh:

Man, I feel out of place in this thread. I hope I'm not the only one here who shops mainly at Target. Or the flea market on Telephone road. Or at the Harwin Street vendor strip. Or Walmart. Or garage sales. Upscale to me is JCPenny and Folleys. If a haircut costs over $10, than it was too much. And taco stands are fine dining if you ask me. About the only thing where I deviate from this lifestyle is with Pianos. I've had 6 of them at different times over the years, each one a major improvement over the next. And I have come to the conclusion that there really is only ONE piano. All the others are wishfull thinking.

Man, I feel out of place in this thread. I hope I'm not the only one here who shops mainly at Target. Or the flea market on Telephone road. Or at the Harwin Street vendor strip. Or Walmart. Or garage sales. Upscale to me is JCPenny and Folleys. If a haircut costs over $10, than it was too much. And taco stands are fine dining if you ask me. About the only thing where I deviate from this lifestyle is with Pianos. I've had 6 of them at different times over the years, each one a major improvement over the next. And I have come to the conclusion that there really is only ONE piano. All the others are wishfull thinking.

I don't know if there is anyone else here who celebrates mediocrity the way you do, 2112!

btw: It's not a bad thing to aspire to bigger and better things. It's not a bad thing to enjoy upscale shopping. It's not a bad thing to like, and be excited about, increased upscale shopping opportunities. I can understand why a lot here would not be excited about "another mall," because I understand what comes to most Houstonians minds when they think of a mall. Sharpstown, Gulfgate, Northline, Galleria. However, one has to visit the Northpark Shopping Center before he/she passes judgment on it. The shopping cewnter provides an experience like none other in the U.S. It's like a museum that just so happen to have retail stores. The shopping center is truly more than just a mall.

The shopping cewnter provides an experience like none other in the U.S. It's like a museum that just so happen to have retail stores. The shopping center is truly more than just a mall.

I'm getting "upscale" in my boxers just thinking about it.

I don't know if there is anyone else here who celebrates mediocrity the way you do, 2112!

btw: It's not a bad thing to aspire to bigger and better things. It's not a bad thing to enjoy upscale shopping. It's not a bad thing to like, and be excited about, increased upscale shopping opportunities. I can understand why a lot here would not be excited about "another mall," because I understand what comes to most Houstonians minds when they think of a mall. Sharpstown, Gulfgate, Northline, Galleria. However, one has to visit the Northpark Shopping Center before he/she passes judgment on it. The shopping cewnter provides an experience like none other in the U.S. It's like a museum that just so happen to have retail stores. The shopping center is truly more than just a mall.

Aspiring to go to a mall for upscale shopping???? You must not have lofty goals.

Archived