Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking forward to visiting the Nasher Sculpture Garden next time in Dallas as well as stopping by GhostBar.

In case you get lost, it's right past the Chick-fil-A :rolleyes:

AZTZ, may i ask where you're from originally?

Dbigtex56, can i use foo foo here?

I have never heard anyone going to Houston just to shop.

Wealthy Latins. And Middle Easterners in Houston on business. It is a market that Dallas barely competes for. It is also why more internationally flavored outlets go into Houston before or if ever into dallas. Also why the Houston NM and S5Av are two of their respective company's best performing locations.

I know Tam, I was being sarcastic.

That post by aztx had to be a joke. Why would anyone from the Phoenix area travel to Dallas to shop when L.A. and Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive is at least 500 miles closer and about 500 times more upscale. Anyway, if it's true, I would love to see what they actually bought so I could laugh in their idiot faces.

On a similar topic, I've lived in California for the past 16 years. On rare occasion, I have heard people mention the Houston Galleria, but never once heard anyone mention Northpark mall. I think the Houston Galleria makes a bigger impact on out of towners than Northpark. It certainly is a lot more fun to hang out in.

I know Tam, I was being sarcastic.

That post by aztx had to be a joke. Why would anyone from the Phoenix area travel to Dallas to shop when L.A. and Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive is at least 500 miles closer and about 500 times more upscale. Anyway, if it's true, I would love to see what they actually bought so I could laugh in their idiot faces.[/qoute]

Try taking the high road, sometimes, if you can find it. What stores do you shop at when you need/desire new clothes?

I wouldn't look to you to lead me to it. I can tell by your "high road" posts, that your having some trouble finding it yourself. You seem to be right in the mud with the rest of us.

Examples (that means actual posts)? While you're busy doing your homework, I've got a flight to Houston to catch. I'll check back later. Good luck.

I see that you still haven't found it yet. :lol:

That's the quickest one I can get to. I wouldn't want you to miss your flight. I'm sure you have plenty of drinks to serve.

Wow, if only I could drive them all out of town that easily.

That's the quickest one I can get to. I wouldn't want you to miss your flight. I'm sure you have plenty of drinks to serve.

Wow, if only I could drive them all out of town that easily.

You Dallasites are a riot. :lol: Your taking this NP mall WAAAYYYYY to seriously.

Geeez, does everything in Dallas have to be the best? Is it possible that the metropolis known as Houston might one up you in at least one thing?

This thread is why Dallas has the reputation it does among many people.

If you are impressed by malls, you'll be impressed by NorthPark and the Houston Galleria. Frankly, I had never heard of the Houston Galleria -- until I moved to Houston. I don't think many people have heard about "great shopping districts" outside of New York's Fifth Avenue or Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive.

I appreciate the Galleria for its sprawl. I appreciate NorthPark for its understated elegance. But in the end, both are malls. Today, Dallasites and Houstonians can buy anything that is available in New York or Beverly Hills. That is something we should all be proud of.

Is this a joke? No, Seriously, is this a joke.

i bet its probably a dallas forumer using a multiple alias posing to be from somewhere else to help get a point across. :closedeyes:

If you are impressed by malls, you'll be impressed by NorthPark and the Houston Galleria. Frankly, I had never heard of the Houston Galleria -- until I moved to Houston. I don't think many people have heard about "great shopping districts" outside of New York's Fifth Avenue or Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive.

I appreciate the Galleria for its sprawl. I appreciate NorthPark for its understated elegance. But in the end, both are malls. Today, Dallasites and Houstonians can buy anything that is available in New York or Beverly Hills. That is something we should all be proud of.

What a hoot all of you are... I guess you exemplify so much that is part of being "Texan", including intercity rivalry! So glad I found your forum and this topic, about which, I happen to have a bit of knowledge on this topic going back a few years... well, I guess its more than a few, but for what its worth, here are some of my thoughts from someone who is a member of the over-40 set. Aw, come on now... give me a chance... :lol:

I'm definately an out-of-towner but I happen to be from another area with some pretty upscale shopping... imagine you may be familiar with Palm Beach? We've our share of malls surrounding a pretty rairfied collection of shops here on the Island, but despite perhaps a tropical bent, they are still pretty typical of most I've encountered around the country.

Since I get to both Houston and Dallas a number of times a year I am familiar with shopping in both cities and certainly both Galleria Dallas as well as its sister in Houston. Both are spectacular malls with great stores... Houston's Galleria to me has much more to offer in the way of variety, and is a great place to people watch as well as shop. However, its been around a bit longer than Dallas' version and thanks to additions and remodels, its no longer as cohesive a design. Dallas actually gets the edge with its renovations as far as an overall look and is a heck of a lot easier to navigate. That said, Houston certainly is a lot bigger and more popular.

Now... I am sure that I have stepped on some Houston toes, and probably a few up in Dallas as well, but let me add another observation for what its worth. Shopping both of your Texas Gallerias (we have our own Florida version in Ft. Lauderdale, BTW) is for me, absolutly nothing like the experience of visiting Northpark Center in Dallas. Oh sure, they exist for the same reasons and offer many of the identical items. But as one without an ax to grind, they are about as similar as night and day when you disect their individual shopping experience as a whole.

The Gallerias are far more similar to the majority of American malls in that they showcase their merchandise amid surroundings that are eye-catching and exciting. There is glitz, glamour, and pizzaz in abundance. The architectural design tends tocompete with the shopping making these environments places to go and be seen, to hang out and socialize. They are abuzz with activity, filled with high decible sound and everyone is moving up and down and back and fourth, packing crowded walkways and usually enjoying the total experience.

Northpark is the very antithisis. Architecturally, its spaces are not vast and soaring, but instead this is a mall that is more like an ongoing series of rooms, connected by courts and gardens on various levels. Lighting is natural, but subdued, and the structure has a uniformity that is almost devoid of color. Everything everywhere is created from the same materials throughout and indeed, is almost museum-like. In fact, here are spaces that might very well be termed galleries.

At Northpark, the stores themselves are showcased, with understated design that highlights merchandise more than the architectural surroundings. Design is minimalist and contemporary, and provides a perfect environment for the art that is displayed. This includes monumental pieces of contempory sculpture and expansive wall hangings that in many cases have hung in museums throughout the world. The artists represented comprise a who's who in today's contemporary and abstract world of art.

All of this attention to design and detail was specifically created to enable a shopping experience that is more leisurely without the hustle and constant movement found in most malls. Instead, here is a place that was built to be unlike any other; a collection of beautiful things that somehow manages to create a space for everyone. One can simply sit and enjoy these spaces, observe the people inhabiting it; the children playing on the planters or watching the ducks in the fountain that have been there since the beginning. Its a pleasant walk to explore the many artworks or gear up to a higher level and set forth to explore a fabulous collection of shops and stores, all at your own inclination.

It was created exactly with just this in mind over 40 years ago, and apparently both concept and place have remained unchanged for all that time. I'd say it looks today pretty much as I remember it being when I first encoutered it in the mid-seventies after my first flight into a then new DFW. I remember thinking what a special place it was back then, and apparently, with this current expansion it has grown even moreso; at least that is what I gather Dallas posters are trying to convey with their excitement over something as seemingly mundane as a shopping mall.

Personally I wouldn't expect anything else! Looks like I am going to have to check things out this summer for myself. And, if you might be interested in a few other non-Texas opinions, check out what some others have to say on the subject. Ain't it amazing what pops up when you Google something nowadays!

Of course, the NorthPark idolatry is nothing compared to what is probably going to happen when Victory Park is unveiled this summer. Though when Houston Pavilions opens next year (?), and if it's half as cool as promised, I'm sure you guys will all be (rightfully) Space City high-fiving and proclaiming "yeah, that's right, we bad" and "H-town, represent" to anyone who'll listen. What comes around goes around. (FWIW, I do think Pavilions is going to be a great addition to downtown Houston).

In case you get lost, it's right past the Chick-fil-A :rolleyes:

AZTZ, may i ask where you're from originally?

Dbigtex56, can i use foo foo here?

I was born in Edmond, OK and returned to OK to attend OU. Lived in Preston Hollow most of my life except for 2 years during high school where I lived in Bellaire. I took a job in Scottsdale after graduating and have lived here for 2 years now.

Everything everywhere is created from the same materials throughout and indeed, is almost museum-like. In fact, here are spaces that might very well be termed galleries.

Oh Please!? With the exception of the particular variety of retailers and target clientele, NorthPark could be mistaken for Sunset mall in San Angelo.

My God, the collection of outlets there is very nice, and should be expected given the nearby demographics; but to fawn over an uninspired modern slab construction borders on insane Ramjet. If you want to fall down over shopping district aesthetics/uniqueness in Dallas, you would be better served by heaping your praise on HP or West Village.

Architecturally, its spaces are not vast and soaring, but instead this is a mall that is more like an ongoing series of rooms, connected by courts and gardens on various levels. Lighting is natural, but subdued, and the structure has a uniformity that is almost devoid of color. Everything everywhere is created from the same materials throughout and indeed, is almost museum-like. In fact, here are spaces that might very well be termed galleries.

At Northpark, the stores themselves are showcased, with understated design that highlights merchandise more than the architectural surroundings. Design is minimalist and contemporary, and provides a perfect environment for the art that is displayed. This includes monumental pieces of contempory sculpture and expansive wall hangings that in many cases have hung in museums throughout the world. The artists represented comprise a who's who in today's contemporary and abstract world of art.

I think you missed the "just say no" anti-drug campaign. This is the best reading i've had in a LONG time.

Oh Please!? With the exception of the particular variety of retailers and target clientele, NorthPark could be mistaken for Sunset mall in San Angelo.

My God, the collection of outlets there is very nice, and should be expected given the nearby demographics; but to fawn over an uninspired modern slab construction borders on insane Ramjet. If you want to fall down over shopping district aesthetics/uniqueness in Dallas, you would be better served by heaping your praise on HP or West Village.

You're right, tcole... absolutely interchangeable! How amazing that I never noticed the simularity!

:blink:

b0001ynkv601sclzzzzzzz1nx.jpg

Within your constraints, let me just say that if beauty lies, in fact, in the eye of the beholder, I suppose it also holds true that for some individuals, a genuine appreciation of good taste appears limited by the size of their mouths!

Within your constraints, let me just say that if beauty lies, in fact, in the eye of the beholder, I suppose it also holds true that for some individuals, a genuine appreciation of good taste appears limited by the size of their mouths!

Clever. Here's one for you now. To paraphrase Shaw:

A fool's brain digests pedantry into art.

NorthPark is interchangeable with a San Angelo mall? My fellow Houstonians never cease to embarrass the bejebus out of me. This inferiority complex is not becoming.

NorthPark does have some impressive works of art. The Galleria does not. For a mall, NorthPark does have a timeless design. The Galleria is big. But in the end, who cares? I'll go to the mall that is closest to my house. Not to see works of art. Not because it's the biggest mall in the city.

The very title of the thread is telling, "Houston v. Dallas Shopping: Look who is classy now!!!" Say congrats to Dallas and move on.

You are missing the point. And the point is to honor the tradition of pointing out things in Dallas that are not all that. To stop now would belittle our elders - rest thier souls - who passed on thier Dallas vs Houston traditions to us, so that we too could continue in thier memories. So lets see, where was I - oh yes, The Port of Dallas...

• 3 months later...
What a hoot all of you are... I guess you exemplify so much that is part of being "Texan", including intercity rivalry! So glad I found your forum and this topic, about which, I happen to have a bit of knowledge on this topic going back a few years... well, I guess its more than a few, but for what its worth, here are some of my thoughts from someone who is a member of the over-40 set. Aw, come on now... give me a chance... :lol:

I'm definately an out-of-towner but I happen to be from another area with some pretty upscale shopping... imagine you may be familiar with Palm Beach? We've our share of malls surrounding a pretty rairfied collection of shops here on the Island, but despite perhaps a tropical bent, they are still pretty typical of most I've encountered around the country.

Since I get to both Houston and Dallas a number of times a year I am familiar with shopping in both cities and certainly both Galleria Dallas as well as its sister in Houston. Both are spectacular malls with great stores... Houston's Galleria to me has much more to offer in the way of variety, and is a great place to people watch as well as shop. However, its been around a bit longer than Dallas' version and thanks to additions and remodels, its no longer as cohesive a design. Dallas actually gets the edge with its renovations as far as an overall look and is a heck of a lot easier to navigate. That said, Houston certainly is a lot bigger and more popular.

Now... I am sure that I have stepped on some Houston toes, and probably a few up in Dallas as well, but let me add another observation for what its worth. Shopping both of your Texas Gallerias (we have our own Florida version in Ft. Lauderdale, BTW) is for me, absolutly nothing like the experience of visiting Northpark Center in Dallas. Oh sure, they exist for the same reasons and offer many of the identical items. But as one without an ax to grind, they are about as similar as night and day when you disect their individual shopping experience as a whole.

The Gallerias are far more similar to the majority of American malls in that they showcase their merchandise amid surroundings that are eye-catching and exciting. There is glitz, glamour, and pizzaz in abundance. The architectural design tends tocompete with the shopping making these environments places to go and be seen, to hang out and socialize. They are abuzz with activity, filled with high decible sound and everyone is moving up and down and back and fourth, packing crowded walkways and usually enjoying the total experience.

Northpark is the very antithisis. Architecturally, its spaces are not vast and soaring, but instead this is a mall that is more like an ongoing series of rooms, connected by courts and gardens on various levels. Lighting is natural, but subdued, and the structure has a uniformity that is almost devoid of color. Everything everywhere is created from the same materials throughout and indeed, is almost museum-like. In fact, here are spaces that might very well be termed galleries.

All of this attention to design and detail was specifically created to enable a shopping experience that is more leisurely without the hustle and constant movement found in most malls. Instead, here is a place that was built to be unlike any other; a collection of beautiful things that somehow manages to create a space for everyone. One can simply sit and enjoy these spaces, observe the people inhabiting it; the children playing on the planters or watching the ducks in the fountain that have been there since the beginning. Its a pleasant walk to explore the many artworks or gear up to a higher level and set forth to explore a fabulous collection of shops and stores, all at your own inclination.

It was created exactly with just this in mind over 40 years ago, and apparently both concept and place have remained unchanged for all that time. I'd say it looks today pretty much as I remember it being when I first encoutered it in the mid-seventies after my first flight into a then new DFW. I remember thinking what a special place it was back then, and apparently, with this current expansion it has grown even moreso; at least that is what I gather Dallas posters are trying to convey with their excitement over something as seemingly mundane as a shopping mall.

Personally I wouldn't expect anything else! Looks like I am going to have to check things out this summer for myself. And, if you might be interested in a few other non-Texas opinions, check out what some others have to say on the subject. Ain't it amazing what pops up when you Google something nowadays!

:lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

New Northpark Stores Coming Soon:

Barneys New York-only flagship location in TX

Opening September 2006

CH Carolina Herrera-first boutique location is at Houston Galleria

Opening September 2006

Cold Stone Creamery

Opening September 2006

Intermix-first location in TX

Opening September 2006

Martin + Osa-first location in TX

Opening September 2006

Movado-first boutique location is at Houston Galleria

Opening September 2006

Na Hoku-first location in TX (15 locations in Hawaii..6 in CA..7 scattered in the US)

Opening September 2006

Paciugo Italian Gelato

Opening September 2006

The Art of Shaving-other TX locations are at Galleria Dallas and La Cantera San Antonio

Opening September 2006

Bottega Veneta-first location in TX

Opening October 2006

MNG by MANGO-first location in TX

Opening October 2006

Play@PlanetFunk

Opening October 2006

Salvatore Ferragamo-first boutique location is at Houston Galleria

Opening October 2006

CrepeMaker-first location in TX

Opening November 2006

Local Charm-first location in TX

Opening November 2006

The Original Soup Man-first location in TX..same NYC soup eatery that was showcased in a Seinfeld episode

Opening November 2006

La Duni Latin Cafe-Dallas area eatery..great Latin food..great chocolate tres leches cake

Opening December 2006

Oscar de la Renta-first boutique in TX

Opening December 2006

Robb & Stucky Interiors-2nd DFW/Texas location of high end furniture design store mainly located in FL and AZ

Opening December 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived