Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

:P:D OK guys I did use the wrong word ,but you got the Idea....People in Houston seem to paint this beautiful picture about the POH as this nice wonderful scenic place to enjoy when it's really dirty and not the least bit pleasurable . You want people to believe that people really pay attention to the port and go there for fun when that is so not the case here.....I lived in Houston for 2 whole years and to me the port was never an option for fun....It's strictly business(Inport & Outport).However when I returned back to Dallas(Cleaner Civilization)I realized that an inner city lake(Whiterock)is far more enjoyable with it's accessablility,Marinas, Picnics,Holiday events,Biking ,Sailing,Parties and Grilling,Proximity to downtown(10 min)and I cant forget people watching...........How many people who live in Houston have really went on a leisure trip to the Port of Houston? Better yet ,How many people have ever even been there? :lol:B)

Wow! Talk about comparing apples and oranges. If you try real hard, Dallasboi, you might be able to come up with a more pointless comparison.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dallasboi, you've just GOT to visit this webpage. And don't forget to tell your friends, Tamtagon, Jason DFW, and rantanamo.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-19150201...s-i-sortorder-4

I really, really didn't want to get into this, but those reviews are brutal. I was also surprised when looking at the reviews in regards to Houston and how positive they were. I also agree with one quote, that it's (Houston) "the most underrated big city in the states".

Dallasboi, you've just GOT to visit this webpage. And don't forget to tell your friends, Tamtagon, Jason DFW, and rantanamo.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-19150201...s-i-sortorder-4

:o the world is about to end because someone hates dallas....everybody run!!!!

And That says what ?.........................................that a few people got on the internet and said what everybody else has said a million times,and it proves nothing.Absolutely nothing. Yeah so a couple of people didn't like dallas....big deal I bet way more people loved dallas when they visited they just didn't have as much time on there hands to go online and leave a pointless comment that you pointed out. :o

Well, I've never met anyone from outside Dallas that had anything significantly nice to say about it. Most of the praise I hear about Dallas comes from Dallas. Now, growing up in Houston you might expect that. But I've spent the last 10 years living out of the state and usually whenever the subject of Dallas comes up - I hear very few positives.

But if you love Dallas, your right - who cares what people who took the time to write their worthless opinions on the internet think about Dallas as long as you're happy there - just don't expect to come to this website and tell Houstonians how Dallas is so much more superior to Houston because it's not, and no one will believe you. Not here, not on Travel Yahoo, not anywhere - but Dallas.

Back on the port thing -- I have to agree with some of the Port of Dallas assumptions. The way I understand it, configuring the Port of Dallas and Port of Houston the way it has been described would capitalize on the open land available in Dallas. This would attract corporate relocations of companies that process raw materials and import and export goods through the port. There are a lot of white collar jobs associated with that kind of development. However, it won't be the economic explosion suggested. It won't pull anything away from Houston, either.

That said, Port of Houston does not have any more land to develop. Plus, its traffic situation is terrible. It can take hours to get to open water.

Our secret weapon in this is our other port -- Port Freeport -- Currently the 12th largest in the US and growing rapidly. Port Freeport also has a foreign trade zone for international businesses to avoid tariffs, making them very attractive. They also have about 8000 acres of available land and ships are just 90 minutes from open water at Port Freeport.

www.portfreeport.com

Port Freeport has built giant refrigerated warehouses for importing South American fruits, prompting lorelocations by companies like Dole and Turbana. In fact, from Arizona to about Ohio, all the bananas in grocery stores come through Port Freeport.

American Rice is also now headquartered there, with a huge new processing facility and EXPORTING operation of Texas-grown rice to Carribbean, South American and African nations.

It's also the reason 288 is a real freeway and why rail transportation goes into Southern Brazoria County. The port is directly responsible for 30,000 local jobs and $1.3 billion in the economy of Brazoria County (one that is much closer to us than Dallas County).

The new liquefid natural gas pipeline at Port Freeport will also provide businesses all across Texas with cheaper LNG, spurring business statewide. Port Freeport can provide LNG for about 1/10 the cost Texans pay for it now. That will even help the economy up in Dallas.

So, Dallas, you will benefit from this extension of the Port of Houston. To think that it will provide a boon to your economy that even comes close to Houston-Galveston-Brazoria's with two huge ports and one small one is to not fully understand how big and diverse our system really is.

Think about it this way -- the Port of Houston is so big they can break off a little taste for Dallas at the dinner table and not even miss a beat.

Sorry, I just cant keep it contained today....

The House of Blues in Dallas will be bigger and open before the one in Houston. Imagine that.

Well, I would say that the day you brought this observation to the attention of HAIF, you did not come off sounding too objective. In fact, it sounds like you were damned happy about Dallas building something bigger and faster than Houston. Not that I blame you for being happy about it. But lets not pretend you don't care for Dallas just a little bit more than Houston. You have every right to.

I've been reading tamtagon posts for many months and with some exceptions you seem to make your appearences most often whenever someone either says something negitive about Dallas or charming "objective" moments like this (see top).

It takes two parties to create a rivalry. The day pro Dallas folk stop coming to HAIF to brag about their city's new shiny toys - will be the day I would say Dallas has won the war. But as long as you guys (you know who you are) continue to act like obnoxious visiting relatives going on about how much they just spent on their new RV and continue trying to convince Houstonians how jealous they are of Dallas, I will know that Dallas and Houston are still on the same playing field.

One day one city just might really pull away from the other into another (higher) level, but I truly doubt it will be in our lifetimes.

Now lets all bury the hatchett and be friends.

Well, I've never met anyone from outside Dallas that had anything significantly nice to say about it. Most of the praise I hear about Dallas comes from Dallas. Now, growing up in Houston you might expect that. But I've spent the last 10 years living out of the state and usually whenever the subject of Dallas comes up - I hear very few positives.

But if you love Dallas, your right - who cares what people who took the time to write their worthless opinions on the internet think about Dallas as long as you're happy there - just don't expect to come to this website and tell Houstonians how Dallas is so much more superior to Houston because it's not, and no one will believe you. Not here, not on Travel Yahoo, not anywhere - but Dallas.

:huh: Well ....As long as I've been posting on Haif I can honestly say that I've never ever said that Dallas was in any way superior to Houston. If you can recall a time when I've stated something like that than feel free to correct me. And I will gladly own up to it. All I do is give information. ;)

:huh: Well ....As long as I've been posting on Haif I can honestly say that I've never ever said that Dallas was in any way superior to Houston. If you can recall a time when I've stated something like that than feel free to correct me. And I will gladly own up to it. All I do is give information. ;)

Short-term memory problem there, Dallasboi? How about Post #383?

Short-term memory problem there, Dallasboi? How about Post #383?

Could u please explain to me how this post (383)is applicable to the subject in Question? I was simply responding to post that was thrown at dallas about our"RailYard" as you guys would call it.And I did say the port of houston was dirty ...but that is a fact...If I'm wrong, correct me. That is in no way implying that Dallas is Superiorto houston.I did state my preference on the subject which shouldn't have been a surprise because I live in Dallas......Duh!! :mellow:

Could u please explain to me how this post (383)is applicable to the subject in Question? I was simply responding to post that was thrown at dallas about our"RailYard" as you guys would call it.And I did say the port of houston was dirty ...but that is a fact...If I'm wrong, correct me. That is in no way implying that Dallas is Superiorto houston.I did state my preference on the subject which shouldn't have been a surprise because I live in Dallas......Duh!! :mellow:

You'd better sit down. You're probably getting dizzy from all that spinning you're doing.

How about this quote from one of your earlier posts in this thread?

"However when I returned back to Dallas(Cleaner Civilization)"

You'd better sit down. You're probably getting dizzy from all that spinning you're doing.

How about this quote from one of your earlier posts in this thread?

"However when I returned back to Dallas(Cleaner Civilization)"

That's just an Observation......How is that saying that dallas is Better?...I've heard many people say that they prefer Houstons grit over dallas. In fact I recall a Certin HOUSTONIAN(2112) admitting that Dallas was cleaner. Do I think he likes dallas better ?.....No. So again...that's not a valid point....Next!!!!!! :ph34r:

That's just an Observation......How is that saying that dallas is Better?...I've heard many people say that they prefer Houstons grit over dallas. In fact I recall a Certin HOUSTONIAN(2112) admitting that Dallas was cleaner. Do I think he likes dallas better ?.....No. So again...that's not a valid point....Next!!!!!! :ph34r:

You are a laugh a minute... Yes, it's just an observation... just an observation that (in your opinion) "cleaner civilization" is one way in which Dallas is superior to Houston.

The "subject in question" (since you seem to have forgotten) is whether you have ever ever "said that Dallas was in any way superior to Houston." The post I referred you to earlier was also just an observation by you, an observation that picnicking at White Rock Lake is superior to picnicking at the Port of Houston (yes, a nonsensical, ridiculous comparison, but you chose to make the comparison, not me.)

In another posting you shared your "observation" that the Dallas Galleria is superior to the Houston Galleria.

While you may have studiously avoided the use of the word "superior", you routinely post ways in which you think that Dallas is "higher in order, degree, rank, quality, or estimation." If that's the way you feel, more power to you. I'm thrilled for you. But why can't you just be honest about it, and quit the charade.

You are a laugh a minute... Yes, it's just an observation... just an observation that (in your opinion) "cleaner civilization" is one way in which Dallas is superior to Houston.

The "subject in question" (since you seem to have forgotten) is whether you have ever ever "said that Dallas was in any way superior to Houston." The post I referred you to earlier was also just an observation by you, an observation that picnicking at White Rock Lake is superior to picnicking at the Port of Houston (yes, a nonsensical, ridiculous comparison, but you chose to make the comparison, not me.)

In another posting you shared your "observation" that the Dallas Galleria is superior to the Houston Galleria.

While you may have studiously avoided the use of the word "superior", you routinely post ways in which you think that Dallas is "higher in order, degree, rank, quality, or estimation." If that's the way you feel, more power to you. I'm thrilled for you. But why can't you just be honest about it, and quit the charade.

To be honest I really like houston ....I lived there 2 years ...I have family thats been there for 20 years,so I really feel that I am somewhat tied to both cities.However I have came to notice the difference in both cities.Just because I point out a certin factor that I like about dallas(My hometown)dosent mean that Houston is lacking anything because I can name alot of stuff about houston thats better than Dallas(trust me)......But at the same time it's alot of people(Houstonians)that find certin things about Houston that Dallas may not have and they use it to make it seem like Dallas is lagging because we don't have that certin thing when in reality it don't make houston better it just make houston different and thats goes Vise Versa. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
To be honest I really like houston ....I lived there 2 years ...I have family thats been there for 20 years,so I really feel that I am somewhat tied to both cities.However I have came to notice the difference in both cities.Just because I point out a certin factor that I like about dallas(My hometown)dosent mean that Houston is lacking anything because I can name alot of stuff about houston thats better than Dallas(trust me)......But at the same time it's alot of people(Houstonians)that find certin things about Houston that Dallas may not have and they use it to make it seem like Dallas is lagging because we don't have that certin thing when in reality it don't make houston better it just make houston different and thats goes Vise Versa. :rolleyes:

Dallasboi is cool. First, he's a Texan and that's what makes him who he is. DB, you earned my respect a long time ago. Now, I'm going to stop fighting and bickering with Dall is bigger or smaller or Hou is better or bigger etc. and go for TEXAS is the best. Now, I want Arkansas to whip Florida for the SEC title. Don't think it'll happen, but ya never know. ^_^

Dallasboi, I have been to White Rock Lake. I remember (but it has been probably 10-13 years ago or something like that). I seem to remember that it was a pretty nice lake. But I don't remember much other than it was a lake.

My friend who lives in the Metroplex tells me they take their two dogs over there; he has a nice little boat (not a sailboat), but seems to enjoy White Rock.

Anyone have a few pics of White Rock Lake area they could post on here? Thanks.

Archived