stores where most don't shop:

13. Bulgari

14. Yves Saint Laurent

15. Fendi

16. Giorgio Armani

17. Emporio Armani

18. Adrienne Vittadini

I get the joke ^_^

Seriously though, all six mentioned in Houston are quite popular here.

Here's my question though; There's a lot of fashionistas in Houston. Is Dallas the same, or is it more laid back there?

The conclusion should be that both cities have PLENTY of upscale shopping.

Given that MOST people on this board (myself included) never shop at these stores (if we have even heard of them in the first place), we should all be satisfied that both cities have become well established as upscale shopping destinations.

Comparing the two is pretty pointless - overall the two cities have much more in common than different

I get the joke ^_^

Seriously though, all six mentioned in Houston are quite popular here.

Here's my question though; There's a lot of fashionistas in Houston. Is Dallas the same, or is it more laid back there?

I think it just really depends on what part of town you live in and how comfortable you are about yourself. I get dressed up for work, so when it comes to play time, I prefer jeans and t shirt. Overall, I think Dallas might be a little dressier, but barely.

It takes two parties to create a rivalry. The day pro Dallas folk stop coming to HAIF to brag about their city's new shiny toys - will be the day I would say Dallas has won the war. But as long as you guys (you know who you are) continue to act like obnoxious visiting relatives going on about how much they just spent on their new RV and continue trying to convince Houstonians how jealous they are of Dallas, I will know that Dallas and Houston are still on the same playing field.

LOL

If you don't wany Dallas posters posting then I won't post. But I would say if you don't want Dallas posters, don't have a DFW area on the board. Its likely we will want to put correct information there if the board exists. But if that's how it is, bon voyage.

I must have missed it. I didn't see anyone say or hint that they didn't want Dallas posters here.

Plus, I thought the post you put up listing the stores people do not shop at was funny.

Stay.

In D-FW, a shopping center spree

10:27 AM CST on Wednesday, January 24, 2007

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...g.1034eeb9.html

Dallas-Fort Worth developers went on a shopping spree in 2006, building the most retail space in five years.

There's now more than 28 square feet of shopping space for every D-FW resident

Now Houston has its own fashion Week, and I guess this adds to Dallas' also: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...html?from_rss=1

It will be interesting to see how long this reality TV inspired marketing campaign for New York-based IMG will last. I guess it'll last as long as groomed famous supermodels replacements can capture the attention of the American public. It's pretty cool that Houston and Dallas are site selections -- I wonder if event is a once time deal or if it's intended for many years, and also wonder if site selections will change from season to season....

As they say, the Metroplex is home of the $37k millionaires. :lol:

Let's make it "credit card central" of Texas. :unsure:

Dallas, well Garland, has just opened a new mall called firewheel mall it is pretty much and upscale shopping center and i like the design of it. It is pretty much an out-doors area so when the weather is nice this place is amazing.

post-3461-1170033730.jpg

• 2 months later...
Because you can never have too many articles about which cities in the South are the best for shopping :)

.This is from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (registration required unfortunately)

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/f...amp;UrAuth=%60N]NUOcNXUbTTUWUXUVUZT[uUUWUcUbUZUaU_UcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

To be honest I've always thought that Houston was just as Fashion forward as Dallas,but they didn't even mention Houston in that Article......So :unsure: I guess not.

They mentioned that Fendi headed for Houston. That's mention. But again, some people will believe anything they read on the internet.

and some people will deny everything they read on the net.

whats your point?

Well I guess the real point is that fly by night articles about shopping should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Or at least not too seriously. But it's your right to lap up all the promotional muck you can handle if you want to. Good luck with that.

If you want to base Houston's fashion forewardness on one article from Atlanta (of all places), then you should probably read it better before making an opinion. After all, Houston was mentioned (however brief) in that article for what it's worth.

Well I guess the real point is that fly by night articles about shopping should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Or at least not too seriously. But it's your right to lap up all the promotional muck you can handle if you want to. Good luck with that.

If you want to base Houston's fashion forewardness on one article from Atlanta (of all places), then you should probably read it better before making an opinion. After all, Houston was mentioned (however brief) in that article for what it's worth.

You are right ,I apologize. B)

To be honest I've always thought that Houston was just as Fashion forward as Dallas,but they didn't even mention Houston in that Article......So :unsure: I guess not.

They mentioned Houston has Fendi, but what is Houston doing as a city to continue its world class shopping such as Dallas and Atlanta? Atlanta the Peachtree Midtown Mile, with a mile of shops on the streets, Dallas is getting all of the new stuff in its midtown, What it Houston CURRENTLY building that will continue its shopping mecca title (Do not say Houston Pavilions). I'm talking urban street level high class shopping like whats going up in Dallas and Atlanta. Houston as a city can just brag on what it currently has or had in the past, It must move forward in order to keep up because other cities will pass it right on by.

Take a look at this new part of Dallas:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=458827

• 2 weeks later...
Long time no see, "Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping" thread.

By the way, Houston was a part of fashion week along with two other cities, too, not just Dallas.

Actually, the "fashion week" that happened in Dallas was the local 'Fashion in the Park' event at Northpark Center.

The different Fashion Week event that took place in Houston was also supposed to happen in Dallas, but was cancelled (along with other cities such as Chicago).

All of these "fashion" events outside of New York or LA seem primarily to be just big marketing events -- intended to sell to the consumer rather than introduce truly new concepts.

• 3 months later...
They mentioned Houston has Fendi, but what is Houston doing as a city to continue its world class shopping such as Dallas and Atlanta? Atlanta the Peachtree Midtown Mile, with a mile of shops on the streets, Dallas is getting all of the new stuff in its midtown, What it Houston CURRENTLY building that will continue its shopping mecca title (Do not say Houston Pavilions). I'm talking urban street level high class shopping like whats going up in Dallas and Atlanta. Houston as a city can just brag on what it currently has or had in the past, It must move forward in order to keep up because other cities will pass it right on by.

Take a look at this new part of Dallas:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=458827

The Midtown Mile going up in Atlanta is not what you think. It will be like Memorial City Mall stretched out for a mile. It's not that upscale at all, just looks like it. The upscale stuff is in Buckhead.

• 2 months later...
Having grown up in Houston and currently residing in Dallas, I would have to say Dallas has a better selection of stores. My sister owns a store in Houston, but always comes to Dallas for items and looks. For some reason Dallas tends to be a little ahead. I personally think Austin has just as many good stores, you just have to find them. Also, Dallas has a better selection of home furnishings stores. A lot of this can be contributed to the fact that Dallas has the huge market center and Design District. They have market a few times a year that draw buyers and decorators from all over the country. Most Houston designers either travel to Dallas or LA for the best items. Just depends on how much your client is looking to spend.

http://www.decorativecenter.com/

http://www.dallasmarketcenter.com/dmc/cust...lashEnabled.cvn

Houston's makes up for home decor by being a larger/more diverse center of antiquing. All the decor stuff we just buy at IKEA.

Archived