Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

I guess Dallas is getting a Highrise Residential Tower at there Galleria before our Galleria even begins to draw blue prints if any.....

I'm not sure where I read it but YUP Dallas Galleria is gettin Residences enless I miss read the article and it was our Galleria or miss read it and Galleria Dallas AREA is getting the highrise residences

Can someone give me the info on this confusing dilema

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess Dallas is getting a Highrise Residential Tower at there Galleria before our Galleria even begins to draw blue prints if any.....

I'm not sure where I read it but YUP Dallas Galleria is gettin Residences enless I miss read the article and it was our Galleria or miss read it and Galleria Dallas AREA is getting the highrise residences

Can someone give me the info on this confusing dilema

No, you're right Dallas is getting a residential tower at the Galleria. I have posted the article in the Dallas area of this thread under the section for the Galleria. It is a 20 story condo tower. I am also working on a project across the intersection at Noel and Alpha. 300 plus apartments and an additional 30,000 sq ft of retail.

• 2 weeks later...

I know West Oaks may be a beautiful building but looks are decieving. The mall is SO BORING!!! I mean is it just meant for Mall walkers?

They took out Meryvins, JCPenny's, No wherehouse Music, no bookstore, no toy store (I am surprised Disney Store is still there). They have about 100 friggan cel phone kiosk carts down the malls floor.

I think really Alamo Drafthouse is the best thing there and I still say they should have moved down to Westheimer in a more central location.

i am looking at going to Memorial City Mall for now on. West Oaks is a waste of a drive unless I want to go eat at a resturant or go to Best Buy and surronding areas.

I guess I am disapointed in how the mall turned out for the worse.

Dallas has more stores that chain across the big cities of America. like they have a Dolce and Gabana, and we don't :( but we both have Neiman Marcus, Chanel, etc.

We all better have Neiman Marcus here in Texas, considering Neiman Marcus originally from Dallas and is based in Dallas.

Houston was the first city in the United States to get a Dolce & Gabbana.

NorthPark debuts new wing

"NorthPark Center opened its new wing, which includes the opening of the flagship Nordstrom store and 220 other new stores, Friday."

"The Dallas luxury mall has been undergoing a $200 million expansion project that will more than double the mall's dining and retail space."

"Stores to open in the first phase include Charles David, Juicy Couture, Custo Barcelona and Vilebrequin. For 14 of the stores, NorthPark is their only Dallas County location."

"The NorthPark location is the seventh Texas store for Seattle-based Nordstrom Inc. (NYSE: JWN). The company has another store just minutes away at the Dallas Galleria."

"......The second phase of NorthPark's expansion, opening in April, involves a three-level expansion, including more than 90 retailers, such as H Hilfiger, Occhiali Da Sole, David Yurman and others, as well, as a new AMC theater...."

"....The expansion is expected to create 2,500 to 4,000 new jobs, said Christine C. Szalay, director of marketing and tourism for NorthPark.....The mall does about $600 million a year in sales, and with the expansion is expected to become the fifth billion-dollar center in the United States within five years, she said..."

"...The mall boasts about 22 million shoppers a year."

Web site: www.northparkcenter.com

Northpark has always had a classy character due to its art and architectural style. The new addition maintains the classy style, but given the long, two-story corridor, it has more of a standard "mall" feeling than the rest of the center.

I am eager to see the rest of the expansion, particularly the glass enclosed food court area and the interior courtyard, to see how they continue to differentiate Northpark as a sophisticated, upscale shopping center.

• 1 month later...

Full NY post article:

http://www.nypost.com/business/58764.htm

BARNEYS DOES DALLAS AGAIN

By SUZANNE KAPNER

"...December 15, 2005 -- Barneys New York is close to signing a lease for an 80,000-square-foot store in North Dallas, a move that would bring the purveyor of Manhattan chic back to the Lone Star State after an eight-year hiatus, The Post has learned. Barneys' last foray into Dallas, when it opened a 20,000-square-foot store in the NorthPark Center shopping mall in 1990, was marred by a series of gaffes that turned off local shoppers...."

"..Despite a preference in Dallas for bright-colored clothes and big hair, Barneys stocked signature black looks in sizes meant for waifs, not real women..."

"We used to joke about the sizes," said a former employee of the Dallas store. "Large was for anorexics."

"....At the same time, Barneys' resident hair salon famously ignited a feud when it refused to do big hair, instead pushing shorter, more natural cuts...."

"...Observers point out that a lot has changed since Barneys closed the Dallas store along with another location in Houston, in the summer of 1997, part of the company's bankruptcy reorganization..."

".....Meanwhile, Barneys is under new management and is being run more responsibly...Barneys' expansion strategy is different this time around, as well. In the past, the company opened smaller stores that carried a smattering of the merchandise found in its New York flagship, but failed to give local residents a real taste of the Barneys experience. "

"..The Barneys satellite stores of today are much larger. The Dallas store, for instance, located in the same NorthPark Center, would be four times the size of the old store...."

"...That's not to say that Barneys won't face challenges, as it muscles in on the home turf of Neiman Marcus, which has spent decades cultivating the loyalty of Dallas shoppers. The Neiman Marcus store in the same shopping center is a 220,000-square-foot giant that does an estimated $150 million in annual sales...."

suzanne.kapner@ny post.com

We all better have Neiman Marcus here in Texas, considering Neiman Marcus originally from Dallas and is based in Dallas.

Houston was the first city in the United States to get a Dolce & Gabbana.

I believe Houston was the second city in America to get a Hard Rock Cafe. If I recall the back of the menu correctly, the order of opening was London, New York, Houston.

• 3 weeks later...

Barneys New York coming to NorthPark Center

Sandra Zaragoza

Staff Writer

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../16/daily9.html

"Luxury retailer Barneys New York is opening its third largest flagship store in NorthPark Center in Dallas.

The 88,000-square-foot NorthPark store will be third in size only to Barneys' New York City and Beverly Hills locations. Chicago is the only other city with a Barneys New York flagship store...."

"..."The Dallas flagship store represents the latest development in our commitment to grow the Barneys New York brand through the opening of additional flagship locations and CO-OP stores," said Howard Socol, chairman and CEO of Barneys..."

"For the past two years, NorthPark Center has been undergoing a $200 million expansion and renovation. In November, NorthPark unveiled a two-level wing anchored by a 200,000-square-foot Nordstrom....A second phase will be unveiled in April that will include more than 90 new retailers and an AMC 15 Theatre..."

"....."Our goal in the redevelopment of NorthPark Center has been to offer to our patrons a collection of retailers available in only a few locations in the United States," said David J. Haemisegger, president of the NorthPark Management Co...."

"When complete, the expansion will more than double the size of NorthPark Center to 2.4 million square feet of retail space and the number of retailers to more than 220 shops."

Well If its makes you feel better Houston is getting Barney's CO-OP, Texas seems to really be a retail hotspot

Here's another story in the Dallas Morning news citing Houson's CO-OP store. Personally I am waiting to see some more non-"LUXURY" retailers move in south of 635 like JCPenny's etc. Just to give a more diverse shopping, but all this high-end retail gives people from the burbs reasons to travel into the city.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...2.13596d4f.html

Barneys is coming back to NorthPark this fall

New York retailer says Dallas store will be one of its largest

08:28 AM CST on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

"Barneys New York Inc. is returning to Dallas after a nearly 10-year hiatus...The fashion-forward retailer plans a bigger and better store at NorthPark Center than it operated there in the 1990s..."

"Barneys confirmed Tuesday that it will open a flagship store at NorthPark this fall. The space, formerly occupied by Lord & Taylor, has 88,000 square feet, and it will be the third-largest Barneys flagship store, behind New York City and Beverly Hills, Calif..."

"The company plans to open its first new Barneys flagship store in 12 years this spring at Copley Place in Boston. "

"..It plans to place CO-OP stores in Houston and Washington, D.C.'s Georgetown neighborhood...."

"This marks the second time that Barneys has expanded. The first round of rapid growth led to a bankruptcy reorganization in 1997. The company retrenched to its Manhattan roots, closing stores in Dallas and several other cities."

"Jones Apparel Group Inc. acquired Barneys in late 2004, and former Barneys CEO and board member Allen Questrom was named to Jones Apparel's board of directors in November...Mr. Questrom retired as CEO of J.C. Penney Co. in 2004, after leading the Plano-based department store chain through a turnaround..."

• 1 month later...
NorthPark debuts new wing

"NorthPark Center opened its new wing, which includes the opening of the flagship Nordstrom store and 220 other new stores, Friday."

"The Dallas luxury mall has been undergoing a $200 million expansion project that will more than double the mall's dining and retail space."

"Stores to open in the first phase include Charles David, Juicy Couture, Custo Barcelona and Vilebrequin. For 14 of the stores, NorthPark is their only Dallas County location."

"The NorthPark location is the seventh Texas store for Seattle-based Nordstrom Inc. (NYSE: JWN). The company has another store just minutes away at the Dallas Galleria."

"......The second phase of NorthPark's expansion, opening in April, involves a three-level expansion, including more than 90 retailers, such as H Hilfiger, Occhiali Da Sole, David Yurman and others, as well, as a new AMC theater...."

"....The expansion is expected to create 2,500 to 4,000 new jobs, said Christine C. Szalay, director of marketing and tourism for NorthPark.....The mall does about $600 million a year in sales, and with the expansion is expected to become the fifth billion-dollar center in the United States within five years, she said..."

"...The mall boasts about 22 million shoppers a year."

Web site: www.northparkcenter.com

Northpark has a nice new store mix, but I don't think It'll last just look at what happend to Willow Bend. The mall its self is cold and boring and those statues and paintings make it worse its like a museum LOL While Dallas gets more upscale shops Houston shouldn't worry its not far behind, just like Herrera, Salvatore, and Yurman stop being our exclusives I'm sure at least some of those will come down here soon. BOSS & Juicy Couture have stores everywhere, Custo Barcelona will open this year here so I'm not worried I'm happy with our soon to open CoOp and exited to see what will happen to the Macy's spot (I always wonderd "what if Saks moved there, and Saks made into stores so finally getting to G3 won't be APITA") I read somewhere today that Austin is opening something that starts with a D??? That will include a Neiman's and a William Sonoma, it said it will open next year and that they were trying to get Vuitton, CoOp, Tiffany, BOSS, among others to sign leases there Does anyone know about this project?

Northpark has a nice new store mix, but I don't think It'll last just look at what happend to Willow Bend.

This seems like a really odd statement to me. I don't know what Willow Bend has to do with Northpark, but Northpark will continue to thrive. It's next to most of the money in the Metroplex and has good management.

Jason

I can't wait for Houston to meet everyone's upscale shopping needs, god know's we need em ;) I'm so tired of $30.00 jeans and $25.00 shirts. I'm ready for overpriced goods and I'm ready for them now! :huh:

Same here bro. Im soo tired of buying from Neiman's they're soo rude there I hope Diesel and Facconable would open here, now they have nice jeans and shirts that way you won't have to spend your hard own money buying $30.00 jeans and $25.00 shirts LMAO

I was surprised to see some $145.00 jeans at the Armani Exchange... I guess there was a sale or something??

Maybe, but that's what a nice pair of A/X jeans will cost you enless you're at they're outlet store in San Marcos. The cheapest pair of jeans I have ever bought at they're Houston store was $98.00.

Archived