Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shopping: Does anyone really care which city has better shopping? I mean, are people so desperate to prove one way or another that Houston is better than Dallas that they're honestly going to try and compare the two cities on the basis of shopping? Man. That's really reaching if you ask me. But, I'll play along. Houston's Galleria is nicer than Dallas' - although Dallas Galleria just underwent a massive remodel and is very nice now. Dallas has North Park and Willow Bend - both high end retail-oriented malls. Dallas also has the Apparel Mart, World Trade Center, and the Design District (which is open to the public). Dallas, for a long time has been considered one of the premiere manufacturing and design centers of the southwest, although I think it's weaker now than it used to be. I'm not very familar with Houston shopping so I can't add more about Houston here.

When it comes to the infrastructure and populations, when are people just going to realize that comparing Houston and Dallas is the same as trying to compare Apples and Oranges.

Houston: the city has a long history of annexation which has resulted in a larger central city and smaller suburbs and also prevented Houston from becoming landlocked. Most growth has come by way of annexation. Most of the Harris County residents live in Houston proper (as far as I know).

Dallas: the city has not been aggressive about annexing and therefore has become landlocked. For a long time the city iteself was growing at a rapid pace, but about 20 years ago there was a shift and suddenly many people started settling in the lower-cost suburbs surrounding Dallas - Richardson, Plano, etc. Now, the city of Dallas is surrounded by very large suburbs that actually have a greater total population than the city of Dallas. (in Dallas county, the population outside the city limits of Dallas exceeds the population inside the city limits).

The Dallas-Fort Worth confusion. The most confusing thing about this is naming conventions. There is the City of Dallas. There is the City of Fort Worth. There is Dallas Metro. There is Fort Worth Metro. And, there is the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. These are all different ways of deviding up the larger combined metro area. Dallas Metro includes Dallas and the suburbs that surround Dallas within Dallas county and the counties to the north, east and south of Dallas County. Fort Worth Metro includes everything in Tarrant County and parts of the counties to the North, West, and South of Fort Worth.

Some people in the Houston area seem to have some misperception that the creation of the "DFW Metroplex" was some sort of well calculated plan to steal the title of being the largest metropolitan area in Texas away from Houston Metro. That is not how it came about. The Census Bureau used to consider Dallas Metro and Fort Worth/Arlington Metro's as two seperate metro areas. But, as each of the mutually exclusive metro areas great in size and population the commutting patterns changed and that is what led to the reclassification that unified Dallas and Fort Worth metro's into one larger Combined Metro Area known as Dallas/Fort Worth. The census buereau does the same thing with Houston/Galveston Metro... they combined them because the commuters driving into Houston from Galv. justify it.

With all that having been said. There is a certain part of the Dallas population that feels as if none of the rest of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex would exist in any significant size if the City of Dallas had not been the catalyst for growth in North Texas. Truth is, that is probably true to some degree. Even Fort Worth can attribute the recent rapid growth to the fact that the Eastern half of the Metroplex is filling up and not people are moving west. 20 years ago, in the mid-80s, Fort Worth was roughly half the size it is today.

Houston is a very different city/metro than the DFW area. The geography is different. Houston is much greener and more humid. DFW is built on the southern tip of the Great Plains and is less humid, although not that much. The terrain in Houston is more rolling than the flat grasslands that DFW is built on.

So, the real question here becomes what defines a city? Well, that's totally subjective. Some people think of a city only by what lies within the city limits. Others feel that a city is truly made up of all the surrounding municipalities as well. For instance, when people think of LA they usually lump the OC, Hermosa Beach, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Anaheim, and all the other little suburbs around LA into the greater notion of LA because there are frankly too many subs to keep up with. Dallas/FW is developing much the same way LA did.... Houston on the other hand is developing more along the lines of London. Sprawling and annexing anything that gets in it's way. Or sort of like NYC... there are 5 burroghs in NYC, but when you think of them, you know they're all part of the greater NYC. Manhattan is the most recognizable and largest. Bronz, Brooklyn, Queens, Statan Island... All individually recognized but part of the larger city. When someone says I'm from The Woodlands the first thing that pops into someone's mind is "Oh Houston". But, when someone from The Woodlands says "I'm from Houston" people don't jump down their throats because technically they're not from Houston.

So I don't get what all the fuss is about. Every large city in the U.S. has suburbs. And every city in the U.S. experiences the similar "I'm from..." scenario.

Anyway. LOL.... I think both cities have great shopping. And both cities are great cities... The problem is they're both in Texas and are the two largest metro areas... therefore they're stuck in this perpetual adolescent game of King of the Hill.

At least it makes for some interesting rants and rages on public forums. LOL haha.

upscale-1.jpg

The upscale clothier Salvatore Ferragamo opened in Houston, at the Galleria, before Dallas. Carolina Herrera did the same.

upscale-4.jpg

W magazine turned its attention to Houston's affluent in its August issue.

upscale-2.jpg

Luca Luca began offering its styles to Houston women at the Galleria store in 2003.

upscale-3.jpg

The Bulgari store in the Galleria is in the vanguard of luxury retail in Houston.

Hey, Dallas: Look who's upscale now

Houston is coming into its own as a center for style and fashion

By DAVID KAPLAN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

If 25 years ago, you picked up a national magazine and looked at ads for luxury retailers, chances are they'd be touting stores in cities like London, Paris, New York, San Francisco and Dallas.

Dallas

The Prada store has been closed now for about 2 years. There was an article in the DBJ a few months ago about the closing of the Calvin Klein store this year. The folks at Calvin Klein says that the village and the shopper is not the same as it was in the 80s when the Calvin Klein opened there in Dallas. Highland Park Village is still a bustling little shopping center, that is where Chanel,Jimmy Choo,Ralph Lauren and Hermes is located the place has lots of old charm.

Hermes will opening a store in the new Boulevard place when it is built; they have a large busy store here in Houston. They did a trunk show last year at the home of Courtney Lanier Sarofim to promote their new clothing line. The designers are always impressed by they way the women are dressed here in Houston. Carolina Herrera,Andrew Gn, and editors from Vogue have all made statements about the class of high society here in town.

Im not quite sure what the people at calvin klein meant by that saying. Highland Park Village was very popular during the 80s, it was the place to be in Dallas for fashion.Prada likes to open stores in an outdoor antimall setting,such as Highland Park village or Rodeo Drive.Calvin Klein is aiming for the more international customer in area were there is lots of wealthy residents,mixed with a huge amount of wealthy travelers and tourists.

Dallas has a lot of upscale stores but Houston does too. The problem Dallas has is that there all spread out and Houstons' are in The Galleria or very close to The Galleria (Highland Village and Pavillion on Post Oak) Northpark is expanding and I do belive they're gonna get a lot new TX exclusives but I really don't think upscale retail in Dallas will survive for along time because they have everything spread out. You got LV, Versace, Celine, Burberry in Galleria, Chanel, Jimmy Choo, Luca Luca in Highland Park, Loro Piana, D&G, Emporio Armani in Willow Bend, and Tiffany & Co., Dooney & Bourke, Porshe Design in Northpark. I dought ALL of those stores will relocate in Northpark. Dallas had a PRADA and they lost it and now there losing Calvin Klein LOL I'm telling yall with the Northpark expansion Dallas is Slowly but surely losing stores.

Hopefully our Galleria can built something other than a residential building where Macy's will vacate. Maybe they can turn it in to more stores so it can help Galleria 3 and they can built a new tunnel or hall through the parking garage conecting the new stores with G3 and G2. Our they might as well atract Bloomingdale's or Barney's New York either one of those stores will help a lot G3.

Hopefully our Galleria can built something other than a residential building where Macy's will vacate. Maybe they can turn it in to more stores so it can help Galleria 3 and they can built a new tunnel or hall through the parking garage conecting the new stores with G3 and G2. Our they might as well atract Bloomingdale's or Barney's New York either one of those stores will help a lot G3.

I actually like the idea of putting a residential tower there, also retail is going where lord and Taylor used to be. The one thing I would like though is that they had at least one or two levels of retail with access from the street and from G3. So yeah I guess I would like retail there to, but I still like the res tower.

^I really don't think Dallas will lose upscale retail. Dallas is one of the major retail areas in the United States. Think about it There is Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and a few others. But Dallas is up there.

Northpark Center will be the queen of shopping centers in Dallas. The Neiman Marcus at the center is the most profitable one in the nation. Northpark has a new flagship Ralph Lauren,Tiffany & Co,Ted Baker,Juicy Couture,Kate Spade,Burberry,Dooney & Bourke,BCBG,and many other new stores opening. Northpark caters to the wealthy residents of the Park Cities,Uptown Turtle Creek area and Preston Hollow. The mall has a great classic design that has been the same since the 60s. Plus all the great sculpture art from the Nasher family.

Since the closing of the Town & Country Neiman Marcus, I can see the Houston Galleria location becoming the best in the nation;especially with the remodeling.

^I really don't think Dallas will lose upscale retail. Dallas is one of the major retail areas in the United States. Think about it There is Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and a few others. But Dallas is up there.

Yeah but what all those cities have is that they're upscale shops are steps away from each other unlike Dallas wich has upscale shops miles apart.

NYC = Fifth Ave/Madison

Chicago = Magnificent Mile

Miami = Bal Harbor

Atlanta = Lenox/Phipps Plaza

LA = Rodeo Dr./South Coast Plaza

Houston = The Galleria

Northpark Center will  be the queen of shopping centers in Dallas. The Neiman Marcus at the center is the most profitable one in the nation. Northpark has a new flagship Ralph Lauren,Tiffany & Co,Ted Baker,Juicy Couture,Kate Spade,Burberry,Dooney & Bourke,BCBG,and many other new stores opening. Northpark caters to the wealthy residents of the Park Cities,Uptown Turtle Creek area and Preston Hollow. The mall has a great classic design that has been the same since the 60s. Plus all the great sculpture art from the Nasher family.

Since the closing of the Town & Country Neiman Marcus, I can see the Houston Galleria location becoming the best in the nation;especially with the remodeling.

I know having been there during my last visit. One thing I don't get is why Dallas gets upscale stores before we do.

Escada 2

Hugo Boss 2 (1 soon)

Charles David 2 (1 soon)

Loro Piana

Dooney & Bourke

Porsche Design (soon)

Tod's (soon)

Custo Barcelona

We have some too

Christian Dior

Yves Saint Laurent

Fendi

Bvlgari

Giorgio Armani

Salvatore Ferragamo

Carolina Herrera

Kielhs

Tourneau

I think its dumb for Dallas to get 2 Escada, Hugo Boss, and Charles David and for Houston to not even get 1 of each. I think all those stores need to BREAK BREAD lol. I know for sure if Hugo Boss will open up in Houston I'll be there in an instant even San Antonio is getting a Hugo Boss.

Northpark Center will  be the queen of shopping centers in Dallas. The Neiman Marcus at the center is the most profitable one in the nation. Northpark has a new flagship Ralph Lauren,Tiffany & Co,Ted Baker,Juicy Couture,Kate Spade,Burberry,Dooney & Bourke,BCBG,and many other new stores opening. Northpark caters to the wealthy residents of the Park Cities,Uptown Turtle Creek area and Preston Hollow. The mall has a great classic design that has been the same since the 60s. Plus all the great sculpture art from the Nasher family.

Yeah but what all those cities have is that they're upscale shops are steps away from each other unlike Dallas wich has upscale shops miles apart.

NYC = Fifth Ave/Madison

Chicago = Magnificent Mile

Miami = Bal Harbor

Atlanta = Lenox/Phipps Plaza

LA = Rodeo Dr./South Coast Plaza

Houston = The Galleria

First off I don't think Houston should even be included in this short list you have created. The above cities you named all have upscale shopping DISTRICTS, Houston only has a shopping MALL(Galleria). Yes I agree with you , Dallas upscale shopping is somewhat spread out.........But I think that is a plus simply because when people shop in Dallas (Visistors and Locals) They have the luxury of entering and experiencing different atmospheres, different energy's, different attractions, all in different UPSCALE venues....In Houston all yo have is the galleria......Yeah it's a Huge mall but once you visit it(shoppers) You won't have to for a looooong time because you(the shopper) will see everything Houston Has to offer all in 30 minutes. The Houston Galleria is a Great mall and I do like it better than "Galleria Dallas", but at the same time Galleria dallas is just one single selection of the many to choose from for a great evening of upscale shopping. Another reason I think being spread out is better is because people like Choices. Some days people might not want to deal with a big busy mall like the Houston Galleria, now what are they to do? In dallas you would just go down the road to a more intimate setting like Hiland Park Village or any other open air upscale center. It's all about diversity.It's better to offer the public many choices for a shopping evenig that way it makes it just that much easier to please evrybody at every age when they Visit Dallas! :rolleyes::D

Archived