sevfiv

If they go with this concept but build a couple of residential high-rises in the surface lots, this could be amazing.  Unfortunately I think that the residential would need to come online at the same time or before for this to truly be successful.

• Like 6

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the saying is "retail follows rooftops."  There is more residential Downtown and additional units might go up near here (looking at you Chase Motor Bank site at Milam), but this projects looks like it would require a very substantial amount of foot traffic to be viable.   Could it be more of a touristy market a la Pike Place Market in Seattle as @H-Town Man alluded?  With the Theater District nearby, it's a possibility. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jermh said:

I'm not sure if the construction fencing is new, but I've never noticed it before. Also, they're  now flying a flag that matches the logo on the website.

PANO_20190627_122404_vr.jpg

IMG_20190627_122139.jpg

That's 100% new. Just parked there the other day for Pride and none of that was there. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Timoric said:

Could some large indoor entertainment rooms work? - laser tag, a movie theater, indoor skydiving, Lifetime Fitness, a rock climbing place, a trampoline or blow up birthday party joint, and an ice skating rink to name a few - you do see those places in business parks, this ain't that different

I was thinking if there was a mattress store they could rent them out to slide down all those cool stairs.... 😮💡‼️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

Yes it is something new and hopefully it succeeds but this is terribly underwhelming. 

I say this for 3 reasons. 

1. Hanover Buffalo Bayou

2. The Allen

3. Regent Square for god sake!

Like the three projects above, this fronts the bayou/park and is actually in downtown. In my humble opinion, I would prefer for Lovett to sell (at a profit) and for a developer with a bigger vision(and pockets) to come along. Even if it sits vacant for a couple more years. 

I would like to think residential may come after this is completed.  I hope...

• Like 1

I wish they could generate some kind of architectural change with the roof maybe create a different silhouette. A small pocket may open up after the highway realignment? For residential maybe? I wish they could augment this development to include residential and better access. Someone mentioned a Franklin Street reroute or something, that would be interesting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZRFkris said:

If they took the railroad out they could put residential behind it 

Another good reason to wait on other phases. The reroute needs to get finalized. The possible realignment of the railroad needs to get finalized. Lots of moving pieces beyond this projects control, but could affect it later. No doubt they pursue whatever surrounding land will be available after theses move pieces settle down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Luminare said:

Another good reason to wait on other phases. The reroute needs to get finalized. The possible realignment of the railroad needs to get finalized. Lots of moving pieces beyond this projects control, but could affect it later. No doubt they pursue whatever surrounding land will be available after theses move pieces settle down.

I am still so excited for this realignment and hope the city makes it a reality. We really need to move that railroad track as the Planning Commission proposed.

HTX.PNG

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Triton said:

I am still so excited for this realignment and hope the city makes it a reality. We really need to move that railroad track as the Planning Commission proposed.

HTX.PNG

There is definitely space for residential fronting the freeway behind the post office 👀

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

There is definitely space for residential fronting the freeway behind the post office 👀

It is hard to sell apartments next to a freeway. Witness the failure of the converted highrise on Bagby and Congress two blocks south of the post office. As far as I'm aware, no one has since tried to revive it in 15 years despite its great views of the skyline. It is smarter to wait until the freeway is moved and build a higher quality product.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

I have faith, some people knocked the idea of discovery green at first, this could be another jewel for downtown. I wonder how long this development will take.

it will be complete by next summer

• Haha 1

Am I missing something?

Can't there be multiple phases to this property?

I mean there is significant surface lot space that can one day be turned into multi-story residential / office / hotel, etc.

I know it's not in the plan now, and a KBR-site-like complete redesign would be nice.... but what's being proposed is actually WAYYYYYY better than post office.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

Yes it is something new and hopefully it succeeds but this is terribly underwhelming. 

I say this for 3 reasons. 

1. Hanover Buffalo Bayou

2. The Allen

3. Regent Square for god sake!

Like the three projects above, this fronts the bayou/park and is actually in downtown. In my humble opinion, I would prefer for Lovett to sell (at a profit) and for a developer with a bigger vision(and pockets) to come along. Even if it sits vacant for a couple more years. 

This has an access problem those places don't have. Casual shoppers will think of driving to this location next to downtown and all the freeway spaghetti and get psyched out. They need to look into putting some really good directional signage on Washington Avenue, Houston Avenue, maybe even Memorial Drive/Texas coming into downtown to make it easy for westsiders to get here. Not sure what is possible with the signage laws.

I got a little pessimistic thinking about this last night. There needs to be some kind of exclamation point to draw people in, so that it doesn't just seem like a larger food hall with a rooftop garden next to a freeway. I wonder if building an observation tower here is feasible. It's a perfect location and would draw people from all over the city, who will then stop by the market hall and rooftop garden.

• Like 7

To me, Lovett is trying to make a quick buck by doing a quick-turnaround, relatively cheap warehouse makeover and selling it as a state-of-the-art pushing-the-envelop urban space.  It is typical for Houston developers.  Safe, unimaginative, and unmemorable.  I think it’s comical (or sad, depending on how you look at it) that the most aggressive innovator in this city is from Australia!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2