Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

So how will they work an entrance into the Milam side (assuming that's the right side of the building) where the driveway for the ramps into and out of the garage are, and the side of the garage? Will the entrance be on the side of the garage going underneath the ramp that's on the side of the tower? That seems kind of strange..

It would seem that the only way they could incorporate a Milam entrance that doesn't mean walking over the driveway would be to eliminate the driveway from Preston altogether, so that residents would enter the Market Square garage from the existing entrance on Milam.  

So how will they work an entrance into the Milam side (assuming that's the right side of the building) where the driveway for the ramps into and out of the garage are, and the side of the garage? Will the entrance be on the side of the garage going underneath the ramp that's on the side of the tower? That seems kind of strange..

It would not be impossible to merge the existing ramp into the garage off Milam in to a curving ramp coming up out of a covered driveway in front of the building.  Not sure how elegant you can get with something like that and in any case, there would need to be major structural re-design of that corner of the garage to accommodate the connection. 

• 3 months later...

The surface lot next to the Market Square Parking Garage will be closing on July 6th due to upcoming construction.  As I recall, this project is to be residential.

Wow!  That is very exciting news!  I was a little skeptical about this one happening.

(And yes, it is to be residential... 40 stories, 463 units.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Word in the downtown subforum is that the parking lot will close July 6th in preparation for construction.. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Out of all the downtown residential projects, this was the one I least expected to go forward.

Edit: I have my doubts. This doesn't match any of the timelines for construction that we've seen for this project. (4Q 2014). 

Plus, we haven't even seen them do a soil sample test for this property either.

Edited by Triton

The surface lot next to the Market Square Parking Garage will be closing on July 6th due to upcoming construction.  As I recall, this project is to be residential.

Thats what I hear... But what is the source if you don't mind me asking.

Oh so true, more then a sticker shock. He has 5 more years to retire. Good idea One Park Place.

OPP has an occupancy rate reportedly in the low 90% range. I suggest that he look there "early" in his process.

If outside of downtown would work for him, try Windsor highrise on Studemont and memorial. The views facing downtown are shockingly lovely. He could also rent a condo at the royalton. Similar views.

• Like 1

Scrape my theory. This is no longer just a quick soil sample and then bring back the parking until construction like we've seen with other projects. Looks like this is actually the beginning of construction and here's why I say all of this... I'm on the lot right now and they have completely removed everything. There's no sign indicating this is parking anymore and they have scraped off the payment machine. Looks like this an early go but let's wait for a press release perhaps.

• Like 6

Do we know if the parking garage is part of the development? Will it be torn down and a new one built or will it be saved and simply incorporated into the project? Or, I guess, is that garage not part of the development at all and the new building will have a new garage?

The Downtown development map shows the whole block as this new project (I seem to recall). So, is the garage coming down or staying?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1