102-Story Tower Planned

lockmat

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have a supertall at the block bound by

La Branch/Dallas/Austin/Lamar.

That doesn't make sense to me.

The city seems to be trying to develop residential in that area given the sporting and green space attractions nearby. But, if you can find the, oh, I don't know, $400m, I guess you could build what you wanted where you wanted!

Would $400 million be enough for a supertall anymore?  People elsewhere have been tossing around numbers like $2 billion.  Amazing what inflation can do ...

I think 2 Bill would make a super-DUPERtall. 

From a skyline viewpoint the BotSW block would be great.  Also because that block has great unutilized connections to the tunnel system.  

I was wondering though if downtown's relatively narrow blocks presented any constraints architecturally.  First, would the foundation and structure for an economically viable supertall require more than a downtown block?  Second, would such a tall building on a too-narrow site look unwieldy, like a giant popsicle stick?  

Although I realize that it isn't slated for this, another site that I could see making sense is the 5 Allen Center block.  It would allow a larger footprint and have great visibility from the west.  On the downside tunnel connectivity wouldn't be as good.  

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard rumors of a $2B downtown project on the drawing board, foreign investors.

to give another idea of what 2 billion can buy.. the entire 10 building Greenway Plaza complex sold for less than a billion dollars. granted the land in Greenway/Upper Kirby is cheaper than in Downtown.. still, 4.4 million sq feet of office space. that would be like 2 and a third JP Morgan Chase towers if the size/cost were comparable, and thats for less than ONE billion. imagine a 2 billion dollar development. i really think this could be like Brickell City Center in Miami if its real. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2013/12/13/deals-of-the-year-commercial-real.html?page=all

like i said. a Brickell City Centre would be fantastic.. i just dont know where they could put something that large. the Brickell takes up over 10 acres. i guess it wouldnt be impossible to find space for it in the parking lot district or somewhere on the east side of downtown, given that Discovery Green is 12 acres.. looking at a satellite view, i see 6 adjacent surface parking lots between Root Square and OPP, spanning from GreenStreet to the Hilton. that would be an excellent location for a large scale mixed use venue IMO, tying in with the new retail district they are planning along Dallas, and smack in the middle of GreenStreet, Houston Center, Discovery Green, and the Toyota Center. that would be where i would put it if i had my choice. other large scale/multi block development options include just north of Minute Maid, the Post Office site, and the blocks south of Toyota Center/the planned GRB expansion, and north of St Josephs, but that area doesnt seem nearly as appealing, unless the East End streetcar system is built and they follow through with their planned downtown spur.

Could this be rumor be Texas Central Railway's high-speed Rail station, perhaps similar to Nagoya Station?? Fits all of the criteria in relation to summer 2014 announcement, foreign investor, massive investment, mixed-use... They're already planning a $10B+ high-speed rail line, what better way to draw publicity to their project than to build a supertall to go along with it?

Could this be rumor be Texas Central Railway's high-speed Rail station, perhaps similar to Nagoya Station?? Fits all of the criteria in relation to summer 2014 announcement, foreign investor, massive investment, mixed-use... They're already planning a $10B+ high-speed rail line, what better way to draw publicity to their project than to build a supertall to go along with it?

Talk about combining all of the lurid HAIF fantasies in to one idea! 

HSR in to DT would require so much infrastructure planning that I think you would have a whole lot more smoke around that first, but hey, anything is possible with enough money. 

Another example would be San Francisco's Transbay Terminal.

This reminds me of something I read earlier in this (or another) thread:  that a Japanese company is proposing to invest a major sum in the Texas HSR project.  That would be great, but I think that (at least so far) is just a pleasant conjecture.  Just because JR (or whoever) is willing to be involved as a consultant or designer doesn't equate to ponying up billions for construction.   Gosh, how I wish they would, though! :-)

We need one of these things to grow some legs! Dallas is about to beat us to the punch haha

How so?

A 70 floor residential tower is hardly a supertall.  I think Austin has a 60 or 65 floor tower.  And the developer being foreign doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.  Besides that Dallas has A LOT of housing next to Downtown (more than Houston) in the adjacent Uptown area.  Why would you want to be in a big tower Downtown when the amenities are so much better just a few blocks away?  Houston is a different animal than Dallas - both can handle a lot of development - but neither town is going to build a supertall just for hospitality and residential.  It will take a large office portion too.

We need one of these things to grow some legs! Dallas is about to beat us to the punch haha

?? What do you mean? I don't know of any supertalls planned for DFW. 

How so?

A 70 floor residential tower is hardly a supertall.  I think Austin has a 60 or 65 floor tower.  And the developer being foreign doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.  Besides that Dallas has A LOT of housing next to Downtown (more than Houston) in the adjacent Uptown area.  Why would you want to be in a big tower Downtown when the amenities are so much better just a few blocks away?  Houston is a different animal than Dallas - both can handle a lot of development - but neither town is going to build a supertall just for hospitality and residential.  It will take a large office portion too.

I took ClutchCity's post as a tease, as if to goad Houstonians in to doing something faster out of competitive impulses against Dallas. 

I took ClutchCity's post as a tease, as if to goad Houstonians in to doing something faster out of competitive impulses against Dallas.

No, there really is a HOK designed proposal for a 60 and a 79 story skyscraper in Dallas. They said it would be the tallest concrete structure west of the Mississippi so I'm pretty sure that would have to be a supertall..

No, there really is a HOK designed proposal for a 60 and a 79 story skyscraper in Dallas. They said it would be the tallest concrete structure west of the Mississippi so I'm pretty sure that would have to be a supertall..

But the developer (who is foreign) is doing just residential...  Would not make sense for a 79 floor residential tower to be taller than 1000'  Unless there is some decorative fin or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One57

One57 is a ~90 floor (apparently only 75) residential tower in NYC - where there is actually demand for that sort of building.  IT is only 1,004' tall.

Unless there is a significant office+hospitality component to this I don't see how it could work in Dallas' downtown right now.  And offices are out as there is a high vacancy rate there.

If anything the Toyota move to their downtown would have maybe driven this, but that's happening in Plano.

Oh well.  Good for Dallas.  Should fit their ego.  I'll take what we're getting instead.  Eventually the demand will be there for a taller residential building.

^  Exactly right.  Note that this "developer" has proposed a number of projects in downtown Dallas and so far none of them have gone anywhere.  Also, note that the existing new-build condo building has sold almost 16% (yes, only 16%) of its units, a full 16 1/2 months after occupancy.  Why would anyone think there is a market for 1,300 new condos in any reasonable line?  Without massive subsidies (which are not out of the question in Dallas) or an investment by the Dallas Police & Firemens' Pension Fund (which has surely learned its lesson...??), this project is not happening.

(and FWIW, Cloud713, I believe the proposal is for 70 story and 60 story buildings, not 79 stories.  I presume that was just a typo.)

^ Exactly right. Note that this "developer" has proposed a number of projects in downtown Dallas and so far none of them have gone anywhere. Also, note that the existing new-build condo building has sold almost 16% (yes, only 16%) of its units, a full 16 1/2 months after occupancy. Why would anyone think there is a market for 1,300 new condos in any reasonable line? Without massive subsidies (which are not out of the question in Dallas) or an investment by the Dallas Police & Firemens' Pension Fund (which has surely learned its lesson...??), this project is not happening.

(and FWIW, Cloud713, I believe the proposal is for 70 story and 60 story buildings, not 79 stories. I presume that was just a typo.)

Oops, yeah a typo. I was wondering why the comment after mine said 79 floors.. Lol

Archived