Alexan Heights: Multifamily At 655 Yale St.

s3mh

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I had a minor panic attack when I read that the other day... but realized he must have meant D'Amicos.  I gotta keep my Carrot Soufle fix...  plus I'm pretty sure a majority of Decapos business is in making cakes, I don't see them really going anywhere for a while.

Text of CM Cohen's position:

Having studied the application for the abandonment of Allston St. between 5th St. and 6th St, my priority is to ensure that the neighborhood remains safe and accessible for my constituents. Allston St. serves as a connecting street between 5th St. and 6th St, and its abandonment will negatively impact the quality of life of the surrounding community. Therefore, if this matter comes to City Council for consideration, I plan to vote against the closure of Allston St.

Currently, this application is under a 30-day period of Public Comment, which began July 12th, 2013. Following the Public Comment period, the Joint Referral Committee (JRC), which is comprised of City leadership from the Public Works & Engineering, Planning & Development, Fire, and Legal Departments, will review the application as well as any protests filed against it. If the JRC approves of the application, their recommendation will be submitted for a Council vote. If the JRC does not approve, the application will be denied.

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me with your comments on this issue, and I will forward them to PWE to ensure that your voice is heard on this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (832) 393-3004 or via email at districtc@houstontx.gov.

Best regards,

Ellen

Ellen R. Cohen
Houston City Council Member
District C

Though, strictly speaking, Allston DOESN'T connect 5th and 6th Streets. 

I wonder what her vote was on the abandonment of Prairie street next to Minute Maid Park. That street has more traffic, and actually extends all the way between the other two streets. 

Lol, it's funny because it's true!

looking at Google Street View, I can't wait for pedestrian pete to do an expose on the lack of sidewalk between 5th and 6th on Allston!

Having studied the application for the abandonment of Allston St. between 5th St. and 6th St, my priority is to ensure that the neighborhood remains safe and accessible for my constituents. Allston St. serves as a connecting street between 5th St. and 6th St, and its abandonment will negatively impact the quality of life of the surrounding community. Therefore, if this matter comes to City Council for consideration, I plan to vote against the closure of Allston St.

Wait, Allston doesn't go through from 6th to 5th does it? I was under the impression that it runs into the Fixtures International yard back there. Doesn't it just end into a roadblock?

Wait, Allston doesn't go through from 6th to 5th does it? I was under the impression that it runs into the Fixtures International yard back there. Doesn't it just end into a roadblock?

Fixtures International built a driveway across their property that connects Allston and 5th.  But, you are correct.  There is a roadblock on the actual street.  There is still ROW that connects Allston and 5th.  All that would need to be done to reconnect those streets is to add about 10-20 yards of roadway. 

The intersection of 6th and Yale is going to bear the brunt of the traffic from the new apartments.  There are no plans to put in a turn signal.  That means that NB traffic on Yale would wait for people to turn left into the development and EB traffic on 6th would wait for people turning north on Yale St. (but not as long because traffic WB on 6th would mostly be residents).  5th street should be improved to provide additional access to Yale St. to mitigate potential backups, especially on Yale.  Trammell Crowe can live with having a slightly smaller complex.

Fixtures International built a driveway across their property that connects Allston and 5th.  But, you are correct.  There is a roadblock on the actual street.  There is still ROW that connects Allston and 5th.  All that would need to be done to reconnect those streets is to add about 10-20 yards of roadway. 

The intersection of 6th and Yale is going to bear the brunt of the traffic from the new apartments.  There are no plans to put in a turn signal.  That means that NB traffic on Yale would wait for people to turn left into the development and EB traffic on 6th would wait for people turning north on Yale St. (but not as long because traffic WB on 6th would mostly be residents).  5th street should be improved to provide additional access to Yale St. to mitigate potential backups, especially on Yale.  Trammell Crowe can live with having a slightly smaller complex.

A 380 for Trammel Crow!!!

Inner loop apartments are not all the same.  1.3 calculation includes many old inexpensive garden style apartments and is not exclusive to high end complexes.  Simple arrhythmic shows that two people can afford more apartment than one.  If you have data for high end complexes, then let's see it.  Otherwise, your reference to 1.3 is just pulling stuff out of your arse because it is not indicative of high end developments.

http://apmanagement.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The-Apartment-Report_APC_7.8.13_PRESS-BREAK.pdf

Rents in many gateway markets nationwide tops $3/s.f. Expect to see rents creep up to more than $2/s.f. in 
Houston and Dallas. Texas urban infill projects breaking ground in the next 12 months will see a greater 
mix of one bedrooms, up to 75% or 80% of total units. New urban projects will also feature smaller units 
averaging 600 s.f. to 800 s.f. This trend will be fueled by Gen X, Gen Y and Echo Boomer renters that 
prefer to live alone and command high-tech dwellings.

I thought this was an interesting find in another post. It conclusively validates my point on this matter. The trend is toward more single occupant dwellings. Of course, anyone keeping track of demographics in the US knows that fewer people are getting married, fewer people are having children, and couples are having fewer children. Some people who are not as well read may not have realized that the demographics are changing.

I thought this was an interesting find in another post. It conclusively validates my point on this matter. The trend is toward more single occupant dwellings. Of course, anyone keeping track of demographics in the US knows that fewer people are getting married, fewer people are having children, and couples are having fewer children. Some people who are not as well read may not have realized that the demographics are changing.

By means of comparison, look at Gulfton. Lots of older apartments with low income families and the highest density in Houston.

The trend is toward more single occupant dwellings. Of course, anyone keeping track of demographics in the US knows that fewer people are getting married, fewer people are having children, and couples are having fewer children. Some people who are not as well read may not have realized that the demographics are changing.

Another recent article on the topic

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/realestate/08-01-13-the-houston-apartment-markets-ugly-ducking-no-one-wants-these-units/

From the article...

Ten years ago, developers would construct apartment complexes with 30 to 40 percent one-bedroom units, Epstein says. Today, 80 percent of the units in a typical newly built complex are one-bedroom units.

Well, that pretty well beats this subject into submission. Like I said, apartment occupancy is figured at 1.3 persons per unit. These percentages bear it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Partial credit for what looks like a façade that is mostly brick and stone.  But, yeah.  Enough with the "pavilion" style thing already.  It actually looks like an architect was trying to borrow elements of a typical Chicago/Commercial style roof, but had to bow to the overlords and keep it within the usual "pavilion" style for these complexes.  Given what is going up around town, this could have definitely been much worse. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This may be the new design. Similar to Alexan Midtown, but it looks good.

11858083025_3d7dc8152e_b.jpg

1. This is an improvement from the first rendering.

2. This is all masonry, which seems to last and looks appropriate in Houston - I like that the trendy (and probably cost efficient) mix of fake stone or stucco is NOT in this rendering.

3. I can see this structure adding value.

4. Ground floor retail it seems.

Looking forward to this.

4. Ground floor retail it seems.

Rendering probably is showing the leasing office, exercise room and other private amenities on the ground floor.  The developer consistently indicated no ground floor retail in discussions with the community.  Usual excuses about investors, parking, cap rates etc.  Could have been an excellent place for a restaurant/coffee shop.  Dry Creek will be busting at the seems when this opens.   

Design is definitely a big improvement over the last rendering.  Nice deco inspired design elements in the raised brick patterns and taper to the roof line.  Looks like they are actually trying with this one.

Archived