Alexan Heights: Multifamily At 655 Yale St.

s3mh

The Baldwin? Lofts off of Elgin in Midtown were purposely designed as work/live. The theory was that an architect, lawyer, consultant, or some other knowledge-based business would occupy the first floor and at the end of the day would retire upstairs like they do in "real" towns like NYC and Paris.

Sounds great huh? (Well unless your neighbor is a neo-blacksmith...)

Fast-forward thirteen years later and you'll find that nobody ever ran a business downstairs and most have been converted to guest rooms.

The real world lesson is that work/live sounds great on chat boards and industry conventions, but most people really want to know why you know so little about what the consumer really wants.

http://homes.mitula.us/offer-detalle/33762/98186071527887836/4/1/loft-baldwin-park/Neighbor%20City

The 5 townhouses at Heights and 14th seem to be designed with a Dr. Huxtable-style semi-below-grade office space as well, though I don't think they have a separate entrance.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I've never once heard him denigrate the townhomes. He is a pragmatist when it comes to what others build on the property they own. 

I'll bet...unless its Metro building rail - then you'll hear the screams all the way to Culberson's office.

No, probably no screams. He is not at all the complainer that you appear to be. He takes things in stride.

oh, yeah, probably no screams...just concern$$$$$. No Complaint$$$$$$$$$. Take$$$$$$$ thing$$$$$$ in $$$$$$tride.

Of all the restaurants and bars in the Heights area, exactly two (Shade and Downhouse) have private club licenses (Coltivare will be #3). It's not impossible, it's just a lot more difficult to attain and cumbersome to manage.

Heights General Store will probably do a club licenses. Not sure how Torchy's will handle it.

Heights General Store will probably do a club licenses. Not sure how Torchy's will handle it.

I haven't been to Jus' Mac in a long time, but I think they may have a private club license as well, despite being North of 26th, and therefore outside the dry area.

Point being, people seem to assume that the private club license is an easy workaround for restaurants in the dry area. It's actually quite cumbersome to deal with, as evidenced by just how few restaurants have chosen to go this route.

I haven't been to Jus' Mac in a long time, but I think they may have a private club license as well, despite being North of 26th, and therefore outside the dry area.

Point being, people seem to assume that the private club license is an easy workaround for restaurants in the dry area. It's actually quite cumbersome to deal with, as evidenced by just how few restaurants have chosen to go this route.

People who have never owned or managed restaurants or bars may think it is easy. The rest of us are under no such delusions.

People who have never owned or managed restaurants or bars may think it is easy. The rest of us are under no such delusions.

But all you have to do is rent a building, cook the food just like at your house, and then mark everything up 300%....what could go wrong *sarcasm*

Well okay, I don't manage a restaurant or bar, but I do have a successful vacation rental business in New Braunfels as well as my day job. My son has a very successful restaurant business in Portland,OR. Is running a successful business easy??? hell no!!! But anyone who runs a successful business can tell you the "secret" is to provide the customer with a thoroughly enjoyable experience. So, okay, apparently it is a pain to run a private club business in a dry area...hello!!!!, looks like a gold mine to me! If other vendors are too lazy to make this an easy experience for their customers than its easy riches for me!!! For me this is the whole problem with a lot of the postings I see here of HAIF...lots of bitching from folks rejecting ideas out of their own realm of experience.. ideas that would make them a fortune if they would only think about them and adapt them to their own ideas. Guess that's why I get a little too passionate at times...the waste of resources I see here is pathetic!

Knock yourself out. I'll even patronize your private club. I've already run a successful restaurant. I'm really not interested in doing it again, and I certainly do not envy the paperwork you'll be doing. Remember, all that time doing TABC paperwork takes away from your customer service time, but you'll figure out how to do both. Besides, adversity through government regulation makes you strong...and puts hair on your chest.

Well okay, I don't manage a restaurant or bar, but I do have a successful vacation rental business in New Braunfels as well as my day job. My son has a very successful restaurant business in Portland,OR. Is running a successful business easy??? hell no!!! But anyone who runs a successful business can tell you the "secret" is to provide the customer with a thoroughly enjoyable experience. So, okay, apparently it is a pain to run a private club business in a dry area...hello!!!!, looks like a gold mine to me! If other vendors are too lazy to make this an easy experience for their customers than its easy riches for me!!! For me this is the whole problem with a lot of the postings I see here of HAIF...lots of bitching from folks rejecting ideas out of their own realm of experience.. ideas that would make them a fortune if they would only think about them and adapt them to their own ideas. Guess that's why I get a little too passionate at times...the waste of resources I see here is pathetic!

If a restaurateur has a choice between two substantially similar places to lease, one dry, one wet, the preference will generally be for the one where the licensing hassle is lowest.  Given that the dry area is pretty small, it's not much of a hassle for most folks that live in the dry part of the Heights to go to the wet part for a meal or a drink.  Now, if there's a place with good foot traffic (Shade) or a unique or interesting historic building (Downhouse), the extra hassle may be worth it.

In the four years since I moved back to Houston, the number of Heights restaurants/bars opened just in the strip between Oxford and Studewood (Stella Sola (now closed), Zelko, Ruggles Green, Big Mamou (now Good Dog), Sonoma, Premium Draft, BB's, Little Woodrows, DaCapo's (now closed), Christians, Sale Sucre, Tacos a Go-Go, Jenni's, Chiloso), far outnumbers openings inside the entire dry area (Lola, Downhouse, Revival, Beck's Prime, Table 19).

That said, with 1000 new residents across the street, that might be incentive for, say, Dry Creek to get a club license.

1000 new residents?

The building on 6th will have 361 units.  The building between 5th and 6th is planned to extend across Allston and will probably be bigger than the 6th building.  1000 new residents is a pretty conservative estimate for what will be at least 700+ units.  I would put it closer to 1250-1500 if fully booked.

I am very happy with the dry restriction.  It isn't easy for restaurateurs, and that is a good thing.  The people coming into the dry areas and getting club licenses are serious about being here for the long run.  Down House went through some serious upheaval with its chefs and with the twittergate scandal.  Many other restaurateurs would have closed up shop and moved on.  But, Down House righted the ship and is now one of the best restaurants in the Heights.   And plenty of places are making a killing without serving booze or going BYOB.  Dry Creek, Lola, Beck's, Kraftsmen, Revival, Jennis, are all doing fine. 

If you'd check what the average occupancy per unit for apartments is, you would find that 1250-1500 is an extremely high estimate. 900-1000 is a better number for 700+ apartments.

As for applauding extra government regulation making it harder for businesses to open, well, you said it. If I had accused you of that mindset you would have claimed it was an ad hominem attack.

I thought we were only talking about 350 units which I would make out only 400 or so new residents.  If its twice that I guess getting up to 1000 is possible.  No way you have two people per unit though.

If you'd check what the average occupancy per unit for apartments is, you would find that 1250-1500 is an extremely high estimate. 900-1000 is a better number for 700+ apartments.

As for applauding extra government regulation making it harder for businesses to open, well, you said it. If I had accused you of that mindset you would have claimed it was an ad hominem attack.

Given the demand and prices inside the loop, using average occupancy per unit would be too low.  At a minimum of $1500 for a one bed (probably more), you are going to get more couples than in lower priced units. 

I applaud government regulation for making the neighborhood a better place.  An entrepreneur is not a superior being whose rights are above those of the community.

I thought we were only talking about 350 units which I would make out only 400 or so new residents.  If its twice that I guess getting up to 1000 is possible.  No way you have two people per unit though.

They are doing two buildings.  The first is between 6th and the bike path on Yale.  The second will be on the Fixtures Int'l property between 5th, 6th and partly across Allston.  It will certainly be larger than the first because the property is larger.  My guess would be 400-450 units if they are able to buy part of Allston from the City. 

Given the demand and prices inside the loop, using average occupancy per unit would be too low.  At a minimum of $1500 for a one bed (probably more), you are going to get more couples than in lower priced units. 

Prove it. 1.3 is the number stated over and over for inner loop Houston apartment density. If you got more than pulling something outta your arse, then let's see it.

I applaud government regulation for making the neighborhood a better place. 

Better place for you... I don't like what they've done... I think it is worse than before.  Why is your opinion more important than everyone elses  (hint... it isn't).

Prove it. 1.3 is the number stated over and over for inner loop Houston apartment density. If you got more than pulling something outta your arse, then let's see it.

Inner loop apartments are not all the same.  1.3 calculation includes many old inexpensive garden style apartments and is not exclusive to high end complexes.  Simple arrhythmic shows that two people can afford more apartment than one.  If you have data for high end complexes, then let's see it.  Otherwise, your reference to 1.3 is just pulling stuff out of your arse because it is not indicative of high end developments.

Better place for you... I don't like what they've done... I think it is worse than before.  Why is your opinion more important than everyone elses  (hint... it isn't).

Worse that before what?  Were you around in 1912?  Was it better when Phineas Mulligan was able to sell moonshine at the weekly hootenanny in the back of the seed and feed?  Or are you actually saying that the Heights is getting worse because of the dry restriction?  Seems like you would be alone in having that opinion.  Saying that the Heights could be better is certainly an arguable point, but saying it is worse than before is just silly.

Also, in a democracy, the majority's opinion is what is important, not yours or mine.  In 1937, the Texas Supreme Court held that the Heights could remain dry even though prohibition had ended.  The court noted that even though the municipality of the City of Houston Heights had been annexed and ceased to exist, a majority vote by the residents of the same area could make the area wet again.  It has been over 75 years since that opinion and the dry restrictions stand.  But you are free to get up at a Heights Ass'n or Superneighborhood meeting and make a proposal.  I am sure that everyone will love the idea of having their own White Oak Blvd in their back yard.

Actually I have to admit that I do kinda like Dry Creek being "dry". Because its not really dry - you can drink all you want as long as you bring it yourself. They charge a very nominal corkage fee and supply the glasses. I like being able to bring a bottle of wine I know I'm going to like instead of paying an exorbitant price for a bottle of something I've never heard of. Just have to do a little planning.

I can see how restaurant owners won't be happy with the situation though - profits on alcoholic beverages have to be a nice addition to the bottom line.

As far as number of units the original Heights Alexan was said to be 362 units with TC owning all of the block except for 2 lots. However, I've heard rumors that the lone holdout has decided to sell to TC and the city has posted notices on the vacant lot that was tied up in legal / title problems that it will be auctioned for past taxes. I'm guessing TC will soon own the whole block and expand upon the design. They have started salvaging out the 2 big new homes on one lot on Allston so this one will probably be going up soon.

TC hasn't disclosed the number of units they're planning for Alexan Yale but the Fixtures site includes 3/4 of the block between 5th & 6th & Yale & Allston plus 1/4 of the block between 5th & 6th & Allston & Rutland, i.e. already a whole block plus potential additional space if they can acquire the south half of Allston in this block. Of the 5 lots on the Allston/Yale block that TC won't acquire through the Fixtures purchase 2 lots (1 vacant & 1 with an empty old small home) belong to a developer who has replatted them to build 8 townhomes, 1 is a rental property with a small home, 1 has 4 townhomes and 1 has a newer large home. TC may well acquire this entire block as well. I think they'll delay this project a year or two until the 1st one's done.

The unit count here will probably go up a bit before everything is committed to bricks & mortar.

Based on S3MH's community views expressed in the Historic District thread, I can't see how this apartment complex is a bad thing.  The complex will make a more efficient use of the land than a single family would ever be able to, will provide housing to far more people, will be located on the absolute most walkable part of the city of Houston, and will enable at least 1000 residents to be on a bus route, within a few miles of work, if they work downtown.

Based on those criteria, I believe that Trammel Crow should be permitted to use eminent domain to acquire any property that they want in the Heights without any regard at all to what the neighbors say.  Its clear that an apartment will increase the density, increase reliance upon public transportation, add a tremendous amount of dollars to the tax base, spend more locally, including at the walmart (thereby increasing the tax payments and getting our money worth out of the 380)...Based on S3MH's view of government intervention it appears to me that we should be allowing Trammel Crow to do whatever they please to any block in the Heights.  Its better for the community as a whole because it promotes the health, safety, and welfare of more citizens than any grouping of single family homes ever could.

Worse that before what?  Were you around in 1912?  Was it better when Phineas Mulligan was able to sell moonshine at the weekly hootenanny in the back of the seed and feed?  Or are you actually saying that the Heights is getting worse because of the dry restriction?  Seems like you would be alone in having that opinion.  Saying that the Heights could be better is certainly an arguable point, but saying it is worse than before is just silly.

Also, in a democracy, the majority's opinion is what is important, not yours or mine.  In 1937, the Texas Supreme Court held that the Heights could remain dry even though prohibition had ended.  The court noted that even though the municipality of the City of Houston Heights had been annexed and ceased to exist, a majority vote by the residents of the same area could make the area wet again.  It has been over 75 years since that opinion and the dry restrictions stand.  But you are free to get up at a Heights Ass'n or Superneighborhood meeting and make a proposal.  I am sure that everyone will love the idea of having their own White Oak Blvd in their back yard.

I was more of speaking of your applaud for govermental regulation in general.  No the neighborhood isn't worse, but certain things are worse now because of overreaching government regulation. 

Dry restrictions anywhere on shepard are just stupid. 

Inner loop apartments are not all the same.  1.3 calculation includes many old inexpensive garden style apartments and is not exclusive to high end complexes.  Simple arrhythmic shows that two people can afford more apartment than one.  If you have data for high end complexes, then let's see it.  Otherwise, your reference to 1.3 is just pulling stuff out of your arse because it is not indicative of high end developments.

Link?  I would bet that occupancy is higher for cheap inexpensive garden style apartments, which are more likely to have low income entire family units.  High end luxury apartments have a maximum occupancy of two people, almost never have an entire family, and usually its a single.  The target market is totally different its not a "they are more expensive so more people must live in every unit" scenario at all.

If a restaurateur has a choice between two substantially similar places to lease, one dry, one wet, the preference will generally be for the one where the licensing hassle is lowest.  Given that the dry area is pretty small, it's not much of a hassle for most folks that live in the dry part of the Heights to go to the wet part for a meal or a drink.  Now, if there's a place with good foot traffic (Shade) or a unique or interesting historic building (Downhouse), the extra hassle may be worth it.

In the four years since I moved back to Houston, the number of Heights restaurants/bars opened just in the strip between Oxford and Studewood (Stella Sola (now closed), Zelko, Ruggles Green, Big Mamou (now Good Dog), Sonoma, Premium Draft, BB's, Little Woodrows, DaCapo's (now closed), Christians, Sale Sucre, Tacos a Go-Go, Jenni's, Chiloso), far outnumbers openings inside the entire dry area (Lola, Downhouse, Revival, Beck's Prime, Table 19).

That said, with 1000 new residents across the street, that might be incentive for, say, Dry Creek to get a club license.

Dacapo's is closed?

Archived