Alexan Heights: Multifamily At 655 Yale St.

s3mh

Okay, I'm not that familiar with Manhattan (been there once in my life) but try this experiment - Yelp any address you choose in these high-density mid-rise areas and look for retail in the area. I played with it a while and couldn't find any areas without retail within a block or two.

I am very familiar with Manhattan and you are correct, there is retail in the ground floor of most buildings, but you have huge duplication of retail. People seem to reduce their neighborhood to about 4-6 blocks in any direction and patronize the businesses in that area. As a result, you get a small market, a dry cleaner, a diner, etc. every couple of blocks. Ironically, the businesses are a lot like the strip malls that pop up in the suburbs.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pure bullshit. Everyone who has to drive there complains about the traffic backups along Heights and Yale & I-10. More to the point every recent TIA report of the Yale & I-10 intersection has rated this intersection as the worst possible failing rating, "F". Ironically, under Houston planning standards this means that anyone who wants to build a development that adds even more traffic to this pathetic roadway doesn't have to do anything to alleviate the additional traffic load - as far as Houston is concerned the traffic is as bad as it can get. Come on people! Pure D Bullshit!!!! We have to make both the developers & traffic department & politicians realize that this is NOT sustainable development! WE CANNOT GO ON THIS WAY!!!! We do not want to wait until literal gridlock hits the streets. Developments that drain into failing intersections should be denied until the city & developer can agree on a plan to improve the traffic flow. Dumping additional traffic onto a failed roadway is no solution and developers should realize that their customers will soon figure this out.

There is one other poster on this site that overuses the term "gridlock", too. I suggest that you get together with him and start an advocacy group. Maybe you could call it "Houstonia"...unless that name is taken. In that case, maybe "Gridlocker" will do. You can advocate for density while advocating against gridlock. You can call for ground floor retail while also railing against the traffic congestion it causes. You can advocate for density killing historic districts while also demand mass transit that requires density to be effective.

Change the world!

I'd help, but I don't find the traffic that bad at all, so it would be a waste of my time. And, with 4 shopping centers within a mile and a half of my house, I simply do not understand why I should be demanding even more dry cleaners and nail salons under people's apartments. But, you two can handle it.

I've seen several posts about how bad this dry area is...and yet, I've enjoyed many a fine craft beer at Downhouse. How troublesome is it to go the private club route? Not being argumentative here - I'd really like to know. I've lived in / visited several areas that were technically dry (Lake Jackson, Wimberley, Downhouse, etc.) where they gave you a private membership and then you could magically buy booze to your heart's content. Is this really such an impediment? Please enlighten me.

Of all the restaurants and bars in the Heights area, exactly two (Shade and Downhouse) have private club licenses (Coltivare will be #3). It's not impossible, it's just a lot more difficult to attain and cumbersome to manage.

The traffic on Yale is just not that bad. People complain about having to wait a couple of minutes to get through an intersection. Bad traffic is taking 40 minutes to get through a light, which was common when I lived in Bangkok. It has never taken me more than 2 light cycles to get through the Yale/I-10 intersection, and a few tweaks top the lights would make that even better. The Yale intersection is on par with Ella and the Loop.

Indeed.

Bad traffic does exist in Houston though.

I urge anyone who thinks Yale traffic is bad to travel out to Alief on a Saturday morning and see how long it takes to travel down Bellaire from Kirkwood to BW8. Just 1.7 miles.

Heck, just go from Wilcrest to BW8 on Bellaire, not but .7 miles.

Do it on a Saturday morning though, I'd hate for anyone to be stuck in regular rush hour traffic.

There is one other poster on this site that overuses the term "gridlock", too. I suggest that you get together with him and start an advocacy group. Maybe you could call it "Houstonia"...unless that name is taken. In that case, maybe "Gridlocker" will do. You can advocate for density while advocating against gridlock. You can call for ground floor retail while also railing against the traffic congestion it causes. You can advocate for density killing historic districts while also demand mass transit that requires density to be effective.

Change the world!

I'd help, but I don't find the traffic that bad at all, so it would be a waste of my time. And, with 4 shopping centers within a mile and a half of my house, I simply do not understand why I should be demanding even more dry cleaners and nail salons under people's apartments. But, you two can handle it.

Well okay let's both stick to the facts. There are at least two TIA's I know of that rate the Yale & I-10 intersection as an F - the worst possible rating. What does this mean vis a vis Gridlock? I don't know - the official city rating city doesn't define any worse rating systems. So okay, let's not say the G-word that makes you whine - the most recent traffic studies that have been done for this intersection already rate it as the worst possible rating. Sorry, this trumps any of your "I don't find the traffic that bad" BS. Actual scientific traffic studies of this area agree that this intersection is already failing as bad as possible under the current rating system without the additional traffic load from these huge apartment complexes. Obviously that is of no great concern for those of you that live far away from this area, but this new development is just across the alley from me. I drive these streets every day and traffic is already bad during rush hour without these two huge complexes. What worries me most is what if there is an emergency during these future somewhere beyond F-rated traffic situations - a fire in these apartments or me having a heart attack getting too excited about these (INANMIDGF, It's Not Anywhere Near Me, I Don't Give a F***) postings. Must be nice to be posting your BS from your safe location miles & miles away. This new development will be 15 feet from my backyard. I'll have to deal with their traffic loads every day, their building will surround the home I love.

If it's any consolation, the nasty stuff rumbling past in tanker cars a few blocks away will kill you much faster. jkg! (Should things go sideways, totally not likely, and esp.after all the grain elevators along Center St were replaced with townhomes, so less things to burn). Welcome to inside the loop!  I know it's a lot, but you'll get used to 2-3 cycles of traffic lights.   FYI,  just in case you may want to do skin checks  after about 6-12 months here, esp. living near downtown or the bayous. What starts out looking like a large-ish skin tag can grow really fast, especially in summer!  (I know, tmi right?)

How close are you to  white oak bayou? The alligators are only up in the yards after a large storm. 

Well okay let's both stick to the facts. There are at least two TIA's I know of that rate the Yale & I-10 intersection as an F - the worst possible rating.

I'd find it hard to believe that a rating like this would be given to a intersection still under construction?

Was this rating from before the work on the feeder started?

Well okay let's both stick to the facts. There are at least two TIA's I know of that rate the Yale & I-10 intersection as an F - the worst possible rating. What does this mean vis a vis Gridlock? I don't know - the official city rating city doesn't define any worse rating systems. So okay, let's not say the G-word that makes you whine - the most recent traffic studies that have been done for this intersection already rate it as the worst possible rating. Sorry, this trumps any of your "I don't find the traffic that bad" BS. Actual scientific traffic studies of this area agree that this intersection is already failing as bad as possible under the current rating system without the additional traffic load from these huge apartment complexes. Obviously that is of no great concern for those of you that live far away from this area, but this new development is just across the alley from me. I drive these streets every day and traffic is already bad during rush hour without these two huge complexes. What worries me most is what if there is an emergency during these future somewhere beyond F-rated traffic situations - a fire in these apartments or me having a heart attack getting too excited about these (INANMIDGF, It's Not Anywhere Near Me, I Don't Give a F***) postings. Must be nice to be posting your BS from your safe location miles & miles away. This new development will be 15 feet from my backyard. I'll have to deal with their traffic loads every day, their building will surround the home I love.

Actually, I am mere blocks from this location. Other than you, I may be the closest poster to this site. Feel better?

Here's the deal on "gridlock". It is a term used to describe traffic congestion so severe that the traffic grid is locked. In other words, traffic cannot move in any direction. Regardless what grade the intersection at Yale and I-10 is given, it never gets anywhere close to that state. Hence, my calling you out for overstating the level of carnage. It really isn't that bad.

Now, let's get to the real source of your ire, the encroachment of density upon a future Portlander's home. I invite you to google the address 5292 Memorial, Houston, TX 77007. Why? Because it allows you to see dense condo developments on tiny streets without curbs and gutters. I lived in that development for 5 years. The effect on traffic on Detering and Chandler Streets was almost non-existent. The interesting thing is that there were two developments on Chandler, in addition to a busy Children's Assessment Center...and, of course, the ubiquitous townhomes. Even with all of that, Chandler remained a sleepy dead end street. Your fears are overblown.

Now, this isn't to say that the construction will not be immensely annoying. However, once that dies down, you will find that the traffic congestion claims were exaggerated. It is easy to do. Unless you have actually lived in that scenario, as I have, it is hard to believe that a large apartment complex doesn't flood a street with traffic. Here's a suggestion. Go up to 2100 Yale and watch the traffic around that complex. You'll feel better.

Now, this isn't to say that the construction will not be immensely annoying. However, once that dies down, you will find that the traffic congestion claims were exaggerated. It is easy to do. Unless you have actually lived in that scenario, as I have, it is hard to believe that a large apartment complex doesn't flood a street with traffic. Here's a suggestion. Go up to 2100 Yale and watch the traffic around that complex. You'll feel better.

This is exactly true - I live in the EDGE condos in Midtown - 92 units -- we have 2 entrance/exits to the parking garage -- I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever seen another vehicle coming or going at the same time I am -- everyone has differing schedules -- it isn't like there is a mass exodus of people at 8:00am with everyone getting home at 5:00pm -- it just doesn't happen...

I'd find it hard to believe that a rating like this would be given to a intersection still under construction? Was this rating from before the work on the feeder started?

The first rating of the intersection as an F (that I saw) was the TIA that Ainbinder commissioned for the Walmart development. It showed that, once the feeders were completed, the intersection would be rated an "F" in the no-build condition (i.e., the Walmart not having been built).  This is borne out by anecdotal evidence, since the traffic at that light started to be really bad even before the Walmart opened.  That TIA also showed that some of the changes made as part of the development (I think the left turn lane at NB Heights at I-10), actually helped a little vs the no-build scenario.

Anyone upset about the traffic at Yale and I-10 should make their first angry phone call to TXDOT.  Ten years ago, Montrose got their freeway (US-59) buried and made silent and virtually invisible; today the Heights gets theirs widened.

Actually, I am mere blocks from this location. Other than you, I may be the closest poster to this site. Feel better?

Here's the deal on "gridlock". It is a term used to describe traffic congestion so severe that the traffic grid is locked. In other words, traffic cannot move in any direction. Regardless what grade the intersection at Yale and I-10 is given, it never gets anywhere close to that state. Hence, my calling you out for overstating the level of carnage. It really isn't that bad.

Now, let's get to the real source of your ire, the encroachment of density upon a future Portlander's home. I invite you to google the address 5292 Memorial, Houston, TX 77007. Why? Because it allows you to see dense condo developments on tiny streets without curbs and gutters. I lived in that development for 5 years. The effect on traffic on Detering and Chandler Streets was almost non-existent. The interesting thing is that there were two developments on Chandler, in addition to a busy Children's Assessment Center...and, of course, the ubiquitous townhomes. Even with all of that, Chandler remained a sleepy dead end street. Your fears are overblown.

Well, um...no, I don't feel better. This new development isn't blocks away it's right across the alley easement, assuming Trammel - Crow doesn't get their high-dollar lawyers to find some way to seize that property. Then is will be literally (yes, in the true English meaning of literally) in my backyard.

Okay,...Gridlock...google the term. Yes, the first definition is literal gridlock, where no traffic will ever flow in that location again, but in reality-land where all of us actually live that never happens. Do you know of any intersections where the traffic was so bad that the intersection was permanently abandoned with all of the vehicles caught up in the situation left there for all eternity? No, there are no literal examples of this extreme - you're just blowing extreme wind here. Look at the other definitions...this is the reality-land gridlock expressed so often by those frustrated by Houston's traffic-bound masses.

I guess i need more background information to render a reasonable opinion on your dense condo experience. My question...did you buy into this high-density situation or did it spring up out of the blue after your investment??? That is the crux of the whole situation. If you bought your home and the area was already high-density multi-family than obviously you weren't surprised by the future density. When we bought our home in the heights there were. no  competing density concerns.

. When we bought our home in the heights there were. no  competing density concerns.

Did you assume that would never change? Keep in mind that there's no law that says you have to go over to Yale and wait for all of the traffic to clear. You can head another direction, and take another route to your destination.

Sounds like you are being subjected to Portlandification. Densification of your neighborhood against your wishes. I can certainly sympathize with that. But, I am told that we need to do this to remain sustainable. You'll just have to take one for the team. I can sympathize. They made my neighborhood a historic district, so that people can drive down my street and ooh and ahh at my bungalow.

Apparently Trammel Crow has asked that a portion of Allston St be "abandoned".  

This sign is posted about midway between 6th and 5th:

c71a3cb6469add35ed18ff9437b8078c.jpg.max

Strictly speaking, Allston dead-ends before it gets to 5th, but one can get to 5th from Allston by cutting through the driveway of the warehouse on the NW corner of 5th and Allston.

One assumes that TC either has acquired or has an option to acquire the warehouse that occupies the southern half of the western block face. Acquiring the Allston St ROW would allow them to build a single building from Yale to Rutland Pl.  

So, mako, which house are you, the ranch style home bracketed by the 3 story homes or one of the 3 story homes? If you are on Allston, I don't see you getting hit with much traffic. The entrances are likely to be fronting 5th or 6th or both. You may have some apartments facing your backyard, but that is nothing that a little bamboo hedge won't fix.

So, mako, which house are you, the ranch style home bracketed by the 3 story homes or one of the 3 story homes? If you are on Allston, I don't see you getting hit with much traffic. The entrances are likely to be fronting 5th or 6th or both. You may have some apartments facing your backyard, but that is nothing that a little bamboo hedge won't fix.

One of the 3-stories, the one with a back yard. Already have bamboo to block the warehouse view. Need some type of mutant strain to block a 5-story building. Yes I do have a bit of appreciation of the irony that the ranch home owners were probably just as disgusted to have 3-story homes built next to their bungalows as we are at the prospect of 5-story behemoths blocking out the sunrise. Well, at least it'll probably block some of the traffic noise from I-10 as well.

Hope all of you are right about the traffic, but frankly I find it hard to believe. The first building is 362 units - that's a lot of new people & cars. They haven't said how big the 2nd one will be, but given that its already a bigger site even if they don't take over half the street I'd guesstimate another 500 or so units.

My guess is a curved entrance, southbound only on Yale, entrance / exit on 5th and service entrance on Allston, pretty similar to the plans for the Heights building but straight on the Allston if they are able to buy the street. Regardless of where the entrances are all of the traffic has to go to Yale or across to Heights. The detention ponds have cut off access to the west.

I'd heard TXDOT had expressed interest in the back warehouse as a potential site for an additional detention pond. Guess us hardworking taxpayers will be spared that expense - if White Oak Bayou gets too high Trammel Crow will be providing a nice new detention pond - TC Alexxan Yale Underground Parking Pond. 

Interestingly enough (to me at least) today is the one-year anniversary of buying our home here and its truly incredible to me the amount of change we've seen in our little corner of the Heights. Did we think it would not change? Quite the contrary - we counted on it; just getting a bit more than we bargained for. We were hoping the junky shacks would get replaced with nice homes and that's pretty much done. Didn't foresee the big apartments though.

Still, as you noted, we do not plan to stay here long term. Strangely enough in all my trips to Portland over the past decades I never have seen these forced densification zones - guess I'll have to ask the kids about them.

One of the 3-stories, the one with a back yard. Already have bamboo to block the warehouse view. Need some type of mutant strain to block a 5-story building. Yes I do have a bit of appreciation of the irony that the ranch home owners were probably just as disgusted to have 3-story homes built next to their bungalows as we are at the prospect of 5-story behemoths blocking out the sunrise. Well, at least it'll probably block some of the traffic noise from I-10 as well.

Hope all of you are right about the traffic, but frankly I find it hard to believe. The first building is 362 units - that's a lot of new people & cars. They haven't said how big the 2nd one will be, but given that its already a bigger site even if they don't take over half the street I'd guesstimate another 500 or so units.

My guess is a curved entrance, southbound only on Yale, entrance / exit on 5th and service entrance on Allston, pretty similar to the plans for the Heights building but straight on the Allston if they are able to buy the street. Regardless of where the entrances are all of the traffic has to go to Yale or across to Heights. The detention ponds have cut off access to the west.

I'd heard TXDOT had expressed interest in the back warehouse as a potential site for an additional detention pond. Guess us hardworking taxpayers will be spared that expense - if White Oak Bayou gets too high Trammel Crow will be providing a nice new detention pond - TC Alexxan Yale Underground Parking Pond. 

Interestingly enough (to me at least) today is the one-year anniversary of buying our home here and its truly incredible to me the amount of change we've seen in our little corner of the Heights. Did we think it would not change? Quite the contrary - we counted on it; just getting a bit more than we bargained for. We were hoping the junky shacks would get replaced with nice homes and that's pretty much done. Didn't foresee the big apartments though.

Still, as you noted, we do not plan to stay here long term. Strangely enough in all my trips to Portland over the past decades I never have seen these forced densification zones - guess I'll have to ask the kids about them.

Aha! so you are one of the townhome light-and-view blockers  on this stretch of Allston. My friend lives in one of the remaining (completely obscured by overgrowth) bungalows on the block. Interesting.

well, what can I say. we didn't build this big place but bought it in a magic time when tiny bungalows were ridiculously expensive & big new townhomes were relatively cheap. nothings cheap here now and townhomes are the norm. Still, if your friend thinks 3-story townhomes are light & view blockers I wonder what he'll think when the 5-story rentals move in.

Omg!

I guess one day the Heights will follow in the footsteps of those European towns that are plunged into darkness during the winter and rectify this by creating giant heliostats to aim the sun's rays into the village.

See, those townhomes aren't ruining the Heights, they're making it more European.

rjukan.jpg

http://www.ibtimes.com/massive-mirrors-will-bring-light-norway-town-shrouded-darkness-1357869

While it is tempting to call your situation hypocritical, you've already noted the irony. As for the 5 story apartments and the bamboo, it should be noted that part of the first floor will be below grade, and the 5th floor windows are only a few feet above the floor, so realistically, you only need to block about 45 feet of sightline to protect your privacy. Additionally, the building will be a little bit off the property line, and the viewer in a 5th floor window will have to look at a downward angle to see into your yard. Bamboo as short as 30 feet would likely block their view. In this climate, there are many species that grow to 40 or 50 feet tall. Luckily, you are already a fan of bamboo, so I need not sell you on its attractiveness.

If Allston is used as a service alley, you are in even better shape. There would only be a few trucks a day coming down the street.

well, what can I say. we didn't build this big place but bought it in a magic time when tiny bungalows were ridiculously expensive & big new townhomes were relatively cheap. nothings cheap here now and townhomes are the norm. Still, if your friend thinks 3-story townhomes are light & view blockers I wonder what he'll think when the 5-story rentals move in.

Honestly, I've never once heard him denigrate the townhomes. He is a pragmatist when it comes to what others build on the property they own. 

Apparently Trammel Crow has asked that a portion of Allston St be "abandoned".

This sign is posted about midway between 6th and 5th:

c71a3cb6469add35ed18ff9437b8078c.jpg.max

Is that one of Mayor Parker's campaign signs?

Houston: Where every street has been abandoned.

Sorry, could not resist.

Japanese Timber Bamboo grows well over 50'.  There is a house on Waverly (the fort looking one with the huge covered observation deck) that has some great examples of it.  Unfortunately it runs $1,000+  for a young cluster, to create a hedge along a 30' section would require probably 7-8 clusters...

I had planned on building a bamboo hedge within a poured concrete raised planter... but the cost of the bamboo is so high I haven't done it.  (I was going to go with a type of golden goddess which only gets to ~25-30'.  at $400 a cluster)

You could always steal some of those invasive reeds that the anti condo people on white oak are trying to preserve...

Japanese Timber Bamboo grows well over 50'. There is a house on Waverly (the fort looking one with the huge covered observation deck) that has some great examples of it. Unfortunately it runs $1,000+ for a young cluster, to create a hedge along a 30' section would require probably 7-8 clusters...

I had planned on building a bamboo hedge within a poured concrete raised planter... but the cost of the bamboo is so high I haven't done it. (I was going to go with a type of golden goddess which only gets to ~25-30'. at $400 a cluster)

How the hell did bamboo get so effing expensive? Is it because of its usage in floors, socks, shirts, and just about everything else or is it more of an Eco-vogue thing like small-craft beer?

I think the true evil conspiracy that the Illuminati, Bilderbergs, etc focus on is how to raise the price on a normally affordable item. I know they must have had a previous focus group on breakfast cereal, beer, cashews, packing tape, flour, bamboo (of course), razor blades, and municipal water rates. My guess is that this years meeting included pickled items, garden soil, and undershirts because they're starting to get stupid expensive. They're all in bed with Big Grocery and the Big Momma and Pappa.

How the hell did bamboo get so effing expensive? Is it because of its usage in floors, socks, shirts, and just about everything else or is it more of an Eco-vogue thing like small-craft beer?

I think the true evil conspiracy that the Illuminati, Bilderbergs, etc focus on is how to raise the price on a normally affordable item. I know they must have had a previous focus group on breakfast cereal, beer, cashews, packing tape, flour, bamboo (of course), razor blades, and municipal water rates. My guess is that this years meeting included pickled items, garden soil, and undershirts because they're starting to get stupid expensive. They're all in bed with Big Grocery and the Big Momma and Pappa.

It has been expensive for as long as I can remember (i've only been looking into pricing for the past 8 or so years).  This isn't the cheap runner style bamboo, it is clumping variatals that often have interesting colorations and patterns on their culms.  They are expensive because they are rare, and not as easy to propogate as the running type.  I imagine the bamboo in the middle of the now "greenstreet" development downtown was extremely expensive. 

Japanese Timber bamboo is often used as a building material (hence the name).  a 60' tall 6" diameter stalk could probably be used for a lot of stuff...

The next step will to be require ground level retail in all 3 story townhomes.

Frankly, if I thought I could get away with it I'd be tempted. Once those 800-900 new apartments are leased out less than a block away, we could probably do a fantastic business with a little coffee house / kolache stand on the ground floor. Might even get some of the younger crowd appreciating the niceties of retail within walking distance of your home. Guess the big bucks would come with going the private club route and selling overpriced craft beers & vodka to the rental hipster crowd. So...if anyone could fill me in with the details on running a private club in a dry area...maybe we could form a mutually beneficial compact???

The Baldwin? Lofts off of Elgin in Midtown were purposely designed as work/live. The theory was that an architect, lawyer, consultant, or some other knowledge-based business would occupy the first floor and at the end of the day would retire upstairs like they do in "real" towns like NYC and Paris.

Sounds great huh? (Well unless your neighbor is a neo-blacksmith...)

Fast-forward thirteen years later and you'll find that nobody ever ran a business downstairs and most have been converted to guest rooms.

The real world lesson is that work/live sounds great on chat boards and industry conventions, but most people really want to know why you know so little about what the consumer really wants.

http://homes.mitula.us/offer-detalle/33762/98186071527887836/4/1/loft-baldwin-park/Neighbor%20City

Archived